Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash
    If you downplay the arguments against an athlete (say, Dornbush bombing in the short at a high-pressure qualifying event) and up the arguments in favor, you can basically argue for sending a large number of skaters in the men's. You can say you should send Armin for being 4th at nationals, or sending Razzano for a steady season, or Carriere for major improvement (plus having landed a quad at an international), and the arguments go on. In short, it becomes a game of which argument you choose to support which athlete.

Which is why it's better to stick to recent competition results, with nationals bearing the most weight. None of the men below Miner at nationals medalled at the GP, given that, Armin is the next natural pick. Had they picked Armin, everyone would nod in agreement, and there would be no discussion.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Just to be clear, my issue is not with bad spellers or all of the wondrous, lovely, incredulous, charming Americans that I adore. My issue is with not using a skater's full name, specifically when that skaters shares a first or last name with another skater.

Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Really? I thought he was one of ours. That's okay. Canada can have him and his "wrong" spelling of colors.
    And I thought you were Canadian (a Torontonian)!

And to post at least something on topic in this thread, I hope Abbott is doing better soon. The thought the an injury is keeping him from being at 4CC (Four Continents Championships) is such bad news...please be healthy for Worlds!!!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Lots of people say DelShoes, DomShabs, and DenStav. See, problem solved!
    I always enjoyed those types of mashed-together nicknames. The ones I don't like are the ones that hardly bear any resemblance to the person. I've read D10 for Dennis Ten and my first thought was, "the camera?"

Anyway...

My theory is that Abbott isn't even injured, and this is just an excuse to rest up for Worlds. 4CC is right on the heels of Nationals, competing and traveling is exhausting, even within your own country. Plus, Czisny isn't going (declined before the list was published or not selected at all?), so why separate Yuka and Jason from her for a week? I'm sure Abbott's priority is Worlds, and 4CC means nothing.

None of this bothers me in the least. Send Dornbush, he's been stronger all season. It's too bad that his SP was so ridiculously bad that he couldn't pull up higher than 13th, because it does look rather silly to send someone who placed so low.

vCash
    Adam Rippon is going to 4CCs and he's in the Yuka/Jason camp. (?)

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Adam Rippon is going to 4CCs and he's in the Yuka/Jason camp. (?)
    Also Haruka Imai.

vCash
    I think Rippon has more to gain by going to 4CCs while Jeremy and Alissa have more to lose, if that makes sense.

ETA: Haruka Imai is with Yuka and Jason? When did that happen? I clearly haven't been paying attention.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    I think Rippon has more to gain by going to 4CCs while Jeremy and Alissa have more to lose, if that makes sense.

ETA: Haruka Imai is with Yuka and Jason? When did that happen? I clearly haven't been paying attention.
    My point is one or both of Yuka and Jason are going to 4CCs. Therefore I questioned vesperholly's theory.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    Since September: http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/02/i...braces-change/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Whereas if we were still focusing on Jeremy's injury it would be a real hoot.
    I was enjoying the politiking discussion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Ok tell me who I'm referring to when I say D&S, ice dancing team?

Delobel/Shoenfelter?
    Domnina/Shabalin?
    Denkova/Staviyski?
    I acknowledged that problem.

For these three we had the short form combined name solution: Delshoes
    Domshab and Denstav

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I was enjoying the politiking discussion.
    OK then ... the following was posted today in the US Nationals forum in Kiss and Cry re. the 4CC assignments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    That's a smaller snapshot in time, than what the selection committee uses.

Here is what they would consider:

2012 US Championships Richard 13th; Armin 4th
    2011 US Championships Richard 2nd; Armin 6th
    2011 World Championships Richard 9th; N/A
    2011 Four Continents Championship N/A; Armin 7th
    2011 Internationals Richard CoC 6th, SA 4th; Armin SA 8th, NHK 10th

Placements total:
    Richard D = 34
    Armin M = 35

Obviously, a very close call between these two skaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Then a virtual tie should definitely go to the guy who finished 4th rather than the guy who finished 13th. Just saying.

Otherwise it's all politicking of the worst kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conga View Post
    ^^^^^^ this!
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    Is it really a virtual tie, though? I think that ninth at Worlds should carry a lot more weight than seventh at Four Continents. Simply adding the placements isn't fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    And I think 4th at Nationals should carry a lot more weight than 9th at Worlds and 13th at Nationals. YMMV
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-05-2012 at 09:48 PM.

vCash
    My theory is that Abbott isn't even injured, and this is just an excuse to rest up for Worlds. 4CC is right on the heels of Nationals, competing and traveling is exhausting, even within your own country. Plus, Czisny isn't going (declined before the list was published or not selected at all?), so why separate Yuka and Jason from her for a week? I'm sure Abbott's priority is Worlds, and 4CC means nothing.
    Abbott is (supposedly) going to Colorado Springs during 4CC anyway, to visit his folks and see a Physician at the Oly Training center.

(hopefully not the same one that cleared Rachael Flatt to skate)

So I'm thinking he probably has medical issues. Otherwise I'd think the whole thing was a ploy to rest Abbott, and give Ricky a chance at 4CC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Dornbush had a dismal SP, but his FS was 5th, ahead of Armin's. It isn't as if Ricky's entire Nationals was a disaster.
    His FS wasn't a disaster but I think the points and placement he got for it was a bit of a gift. I think the judges wanted to make sure he broke 200 points and pulled up significantly, so they gave him nearly 150 points for a FS which IMO deserved 140, maybe a little less. His FS was okay but certainly not his best. He maybe deserved to be above Armin in the FS but by a few points at most. Idk. I really like Ricky and I'm glad he's getting this chance but Armin really should be the one going. I mean, if they both went with Ross and Adam was not sent because he'd already gotten Worlds, I'd think that would be more fair than the current situation. Idk.

I just feel gutted for Armin. I think there are cases where it's explainable to give a post-nats assignment to someone that did not skate well at nationals. For example, Josh Farris. Only 2 skaters in the senior men's field were age eligible and the other one was already being sent, the top junior men eligible had no 3a and scored lower than Josh overall despite skating less flawed programs, and Josh did very very well on the JGP this season, winning both his events, medaling at the JGPF, and putting up a score that's 22 on the SB list at a junior event. In that situation, it makes sense to send Josh to JW ahead of Phillip Warren despite his 16th place at nationals vs. Warren's 3rd place at junior nationals and clean FS. Josh is a favorite to win the JW title and Warren would be lucky to make the top 5 and made big improvements from his GP events at nationals, the USFS would have been dumb not to name Farris to the team.

The Ricky-Armin situation is different though, because it's not like Dornbush dominated in his GP events. If he had even medaled at one event, then I think the assignment could be justified, but he didn't, he placed 4th and 6th and his scores were a bit meh. Sure, Armin did really bad at his GPs, but I don't think he should be passed over for having bad GP events because another skater who bombed at Nats and finished 9 spots below him had okay GP events. Just a dicey situation all around. Further, it's not like Ricky is likely to win or even medal at 4CC, I'd be very surprised if he did, so it's not as though that's why he's been sent. In any event, I hope he delivers and proves he was the right choice because otherwise the USFS is going to look very stupid in their decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post

My theory is that Abbott isn't even injured, and this is just an excuse to rest up for Worlds.
    So Czisny politely declined Four Cs but Abbott flat out lied to get out of going? I'm not buying that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    So Czisny politely declined Four Cs but Abbott flat out lied to get out of going? I'm not buying that.
    I can say as a recreational skater my right hip gets pretty sore from intense training, I can imagine it is much worse for a high level skater. Taking off to rest his hip is a legitimate excuse when he needs to train for Worlds. It doesn't mean he is lying. The U.S. has skaters ready to go to 4CC who do not need to train for Worlds and who welcome the opportunity to compete, so why not take off? Please don't wish a more serious injury on him, he's the best we've got.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    According to Jason, Alissa was planning to go to 4CC. Unless those plans changed between when he was interviewed (post-free skate) and the team announcements, she was passed over for the event.
    Last edited by sadc; 02-06-2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: added link to one source for Jason quote

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    The Ricky-Armin situation is different though, because it's not like Dornbush dominated in his GP events. If he had even medaled at one event, then I think the assignment could be justified, but he didn't, he placed 4th and 6th and his scores were a bit meh. Sure, Armin did really bad at his GPs, but I don't think he should be passed over for having bad GP events because another skater who bombed at Nats and finished 9 spots below him had okay GP events. Just a dicey situation all around. Further, it's not like Ricky is likely to win or even medal at 4CC, I'd be very surprised if he did, so it's not as though that's why he's been sent. In any event, I hope he delivers and proves he was the right choice because otherwise the USFS is going to look very stupid in their decision.
    Whereas I'm petty enough to want USFS to look stupid (just like I am over Phaneuf vs LaCoste).
    Last edited by Proustable; 02-06-2012 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Fix attribution as mentioned below (w/ apologies)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sadc View Post
    According to Jason, Alissa was planning to go to 4CC. Unless those plans changed between when he was interviewed (post-free skate) and the team announcements, she was passed over for the event.
    Word around San Jose was that they changed their mind(s)...Alissa needs to train and rest. She did enough competitions this season.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Whereas I'm petty enough to want USFS to look stupid (just like I am over Phaneuf vs LaCoste).
    The post you quoted is not mine. Did you delete pinky166's name and enter my name in her place?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Jeremy Ten's twitter says that Alissa said she didn't get selected for 4CCs.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast