Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Yes and no. Sarcastic (actually, probably more bitchy than sarcastic) due to the lazyness of people who can't use full names. Jeremy Ten has been battling injuries for years and finally made a great comeback at Canadians. To see a new thread stating that Jeremy has injured his hip gave me mild pains in the chest. Colour me displeased by the original poster's lazyness.

P.S. I'm the person who will google for spelling instead of typing "T & V" for example (Maxim Trankov and Tatiana Volosozhar) so non-obsessed posters know who I am talking about.
    You need to Google how to spell laziness while you are at it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    If this was in fact politiks at work, for me, the question would be why would the USFSA go out of their way to ensure Dornbush gets to a championship this year?
    We've had former National medalists fall off the face of the earth in following seasons before, so what is this guy doing that gives him that type of clout with the USFSA?
    Honest question, I haven't been following his career at all.
    I wish someone would answer this because I can't understand it. After looking back on his record he never accomplished much to earn such special treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Colorado Springs is the location of USFS' paid headquarters staff.

USFS' International Committee decides the international assignments, and they are unpaid volunteers -- officials/judges, coaches, and athletes are all represented on the IC. Link to the IC info page on the USFS site: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?type=leadership&id=846
    Thanks Sylvia. I knew there was a committee but somehow I thought they were federation officials from headquarters in Colorado who were impartial and working professionals in the sport.

vCash

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Darn, Im late, hip injury ? good luck for Worlds
    Dornbush is fine but I feel really bad for Armin
    I'm a day late for this.

My stomache just tightened up when I read 'Jeremy..hip injury'.

Good luck to Jeremy, please recover completely before Worlds!

I feel very badly for Armin-it's got to really hurt to be passed over like that.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Dornbush had a dismal SP, but his FS was 5th, ahead of Armin's. It isn't as if Ricky's entire Nationals was a disaster.
    Thanks for bringing this up. His FS was actually very strong, and he was just 2 points out of 3rd place in the FS. Ostensibly he could have been 3rd in the FS if he skated in the final group. So if you consider that Ricky skated 1st in the SP and had a total fluke of a disaster (maybe he's had problems in the SP before but never like that), and couple that with his strong international results over the last few years and quite decent results this year on the GP, it makes for a compelling case that the "real" Ricky showed up in the FS.

I don't really have a strong feeling as to whether Richard or Armin deserves this spot- I think you can make good cases for both. I will say that Armin and Doug are not nearly as exciting as Richard- perhaps someday they can be but right now there is more work to be done on presentation and choreography to create an interesting and exciting free skate, IMO. I was critical of Ricky's FS earlier this season, but at Nationals I realized that in comparison to many others, he's still pretty far ahead of most of them.

I think the pewter medal win is great for Armin, but still, this would be a good opportunity for Armin to examine what he needs to take him to the next level so the USFS AND international judges will want to look at him as a top contendor. His Avatar FS was very good and when skated well at last year's SA, he was marked well. I haven't seen him recapture that magic since that competition though.
    Last edited by haribobo; 02-05-2012 at 05:03 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post

Only an American would suggest that colour is spelt wrong. You should get out more

Yes, ok I admit I too sometimes get sick of the sometimes americentric bias of the board. Sigh
    I'm an American and I'm well aware that the British spell such words as color 'colour', etc. figurefan seems to be aware of it too with the comment 'but you could be British' to PeterG.

Americentric bias on the board. It's unfortunate if that is how you see things here.

PeterG's comment that Ricky sounds Hispanic is interesting. I've heard this nickname all of my life but never associated particularly with Hispanics (being Hispanic myself). It does bring to mind famous character's like Ricky Ricardo and the late tv/music star Ricky Nelson.
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 02-05-2012 at 05:21 AM.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I'm an American and I'm well aware that the British spell such words as color 'colour', etc. figurefan seems to be aware of it too with the comment 'but you could be British' to PeterG.

Americentric bias on the board. It's unfortunate if that is how you see things here.
    We spell it colour in Canada too.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    We spell it colour in Canada too.
    And in Australia. And in New Zealand. And in South Africa. And probably in all the ex-British colonies in Africa, and India, etc. etc.

figurefan did begin by saying PeterG had spelled it wrongly. Well only to an American.

And I'm not the first, and no doubt will not be the last, to comment on the americentric nature of the board - but it's not a big deal to me Sasha's Spins. I guess you missed the part where I put it in really small letters. Gosh I'd even go so far as to say some of my best friends are American

Anyway enough of this. It's really not important. Feeling snarky this morning
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    figurefan did begin by saying PeterG had spelled it wrongly. Well only to an American.

And I'm not the first, and no doubt will not be the last, to comment on the americentric nature of the board -
    Peter G is an American.

As for the "americentric nature of the board", I think that's in the eye of the beholder. The board is owned and run by someone from the UK and has way more people from Canada and Europe than any other board I've been on no matter what the focus of the board is.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    I also found the title of this thread misleading. Jeremy Abbott's last name should be included. Every time I read it, I think it refers to Jeremy Ten, bronze medal winner at Canadians, who has just returned to competition from injury and is scheduled to participate at 4CC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Peter G is an American.
    He is?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    He is?
    Who knew Vancouver, BC had relocated to the US ?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Who knew Vancouver, BC had relocated to the US ?
    Really? I thought he was one of ours. That's okay. Canada can have him and his "wrong" spelling of colors.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    This thread, sadly, took a turn in a much less fun direction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    P.S. I'm the person who will google for spelling instead of typing "T & V" for example (Maxim Trankov and Tatiana Volosozhar) so non-obsessed posters know who I am talking about.

I look at it differently: all serious skating fans should know their abbreviations well so we can all save time googling five-syllable names and verifying correct spellings.

Perhaps we could have a guide posted as to who initials refers to somewhere on the board. Plus, we need to do something about multiple same-initial pairs. For example, I still get confused sometimes when S&Z is used to refer Zoueva and _____ (I WILL PROBABLY SPELL HIS NAME WRONG), as my mind immediately thinks of Shen and Zhao.

But really, there are enough letters in the alphabet that it isn't much of a problem.

P

vCash
    I would guess that most elite skaters have a sore hip on their landing side. I'm hoping Jeremy's (that's Abbott for the thread Nazi's) dropping out of 4 Continents is a routine bid for rest and nothing more serious. I'm really looking forward to seeing him skate at Worlds. He's a skater whose choreography and interpretive skills continue to grow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    This thread, sadly, took a turn in a much less fun direction.
    Whereas if we were still focusing on Jeremy's injury it would be a real hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I look at it differently: all serious skating fans should know their abbreviations well so we can all save time googling five-syllable names and verifying correct spellings.
    Ok tell me who I'm referring to when I say D&S, ice dancing team?

Delobel/Shoenfelter?
    Domnina/Shabalin?
    Denkova/Staviyski?

Eh?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Peter G is an American.

As for the "americentric nature of the board", I think that's in the eye of the beholder.
    This thread is just full of laughs!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Whereas if we were still focusing on Jeremy's injury it would be a real hoot.

Ok tell me who I'm referring to when I say D&S, ice dancing team?

Delobel/Shoenfelter?
    Domnina/Shabalin?
    Denkova/Staviyski?
    Lots of people say DelShoes, DomShabs, and DenStav. See, problem solved!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Lots of people say DelShoes, DomShabs, and DenStav. See, problem solved!
    I was answering Japanfan who implied that serious skating fans should know their abbreviations like V & T instead of having to write Maxim Trankov and Tatiana Volosozhar. So I was pointing out that some abbreviations are still not clear even to serious skating fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    I think the pewter medal win is great for Armin, but still, this would be a good opportunity for Armin to examine what he needs to take him to the next level so the USFS AND international judges will want to look at him as a top contendor. His Avatar FS was very good and when skated well at last year's SA, he was marked well. I haven't seen him recapture that magic since that competition though.
    THIS. I have no issue with sending Dornbush, I think his Natl's SP was an aberration, not a sign of weakness. As for Armin, he has a lot of talent, but I agree here. During this year's long program, he looked as though he was ticking off the elements and not connecting with the music and audience like he did with that magical SA skate last year. He needs to find his mojo and that connection to really contend at the world level.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast