Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Jeremy Abbott withdraws from 4cc due to an injury

Ricky will be replacing Jeremy.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...e_pressrelease

Oops. Sorry..I found this news has already been posted in the 4CC thread.
    Last edited by ChibiChibi; 02-04-2012 at 06:39 AM.

vCash
    Well then, goooooo Ricky!!!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Redemption for Ricky.

vCash
    That is so many kinds of wrong. I hope he does well, but he really, really did not deserve that slot after Nationals.

vCash
    I think Richard was chosen because:

Reposting from Sylvia's post in May 2011-

"69. APPROVED – International Committee
    Amend rule ICR 6.04 (B) (page 64, Rulebook) to update the selections criteria for the Four Continents Championships as follows:
    B. Four Continents Championships:
    The team will be selected from those athletes who are ISU senior age eligible. Selection to the U.S. Four Continents Team will be based upon the results of the two most recent U.S. Figure Skating Championships, the most recent World Championship, the most recent Four Continents Championship and all other international events; however, the International Committee may consider extenuating circumstances. Exceptions to the age-eligibility rules which are granted by the ISU will always be allowed.
    Implementation date: September 1, 2011 "

Richard did very well at Nationals last year, fine at Worlds last year, great at his two GPs this fall, and not so great at this year's Nationals, but it all averages out to top alternate.

vCash
    Poor Armin

vCash
    Well, so much for USFSA's selection of the alternates not making that much difference. Hopefully Ricky will be able to put Nationals behind him and

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Well, so much for USFSA's selection of the alternates not making that much difference. Hopefully Ricky will be able to put Nationals behind him and
    If he doesn't people will really be Armin.

vCash
    Hope Jeremy recovers in time for Worlds. Go Richard!

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I like Richard but I think Armin should have gotten the chance. Good luck to Richard anyway, hope he gets over his bad Nationals experience and puts out two great programs.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    of seeing Jeremy's amazing programs live again. Still, hopefully he will get well and be able to come back healthy in Nice.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by figurefan View Post
    I like Richard but I think Armin should have gotten the chance. Good luck to Richard anyway, hope he gets over his bad Nationals experience and puts out two great programs.
    Well one could argue that Armin got Richard's earned 4 Continents spot last year. You didn't see them not giving the world medalists four continents-this year did you. And Ricky and Miner maybe could have used that experience.

Although I understand the angst given how poor Dornbush's nationals was.

vCash
    <thunk>

That would be the sound of the other shoe dropping.

When the Four Continents and Worlds assignments came out, I was very puzzled: I couldn't figure out why USFS would manipulate the alternates list for Four Continents, of all things. There are other ways to encourage a skater without appearing to discourage someone else (though I'm as confident as I can be, without actually having inside information, that this is all about Dornbush and no reflection on Mahbanoozadeh).

Now it seems likely that USFS knew about Abbott's minor injury all along and figured it would allow them to put whoever they wanted in the Alt #1 slot and get him to Four Continents with less uproar than would occur if they fiddled with the initial competitive assignments. Frankly, the word "gutless" comes to mind.

We have a bunch of talented men in the Mahbanoozadeh/Dornbush age cohort. I'd prefer that the most recent Nationals results not be overridden if it means top finishers get no post-Nationals assignment at all, and certainly not in a case like this when there was a huge scoring gap in favor of the skater being bumped. To me, what was done this year is quite different from the "spreading the wealth" approach employed in 2011. I hope the International Committee rethinks its philosophy.

vCash
    Had Dornbush finished just a few spots behind Armin, I could have understood giving him (Rick) the 4CC spot, but with such a poor showing at nationals, I think the 4th place finisher should have been given the spot. The most recent nationals results need to count a lot more than they did in this case. Now if RD skates like he did at Nationals (hopefully not), the USFSA is going to look even worse. May be they will do what they in the Oscars. Next year, send Armin after he finishes 10 spots behind Dornbush who places 4th at the nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChibiChibi View Post
    Ricky will be replacing Jeremy.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...e_pressrelease

Oops. Sorry..I found this news has already been posted in the 4CC thread.
    Where did you hear SLIGHT? The release says right hip injury.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Darn, Im late, hip injury ? good luck for Worlds
    Dornbush is fine but I feel really bad for Armin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Darn, Im late, hip injury ? good luck or Worlds
    Dornbush is fine but I feel really bad for Armin
    Does anyone know how Armin feels about all this? I assume he isn't too pleased but has he been vocal about it at all?
    That being said, I'm happy for Ricky and hope he can redeem himself and do his best!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Does anyone know how Armin feels about all this? I assume he isn't too pleased but has he been vocal about it at all?
    That being said, I'm happy for Ricky and hope he can redeem himself and do his best!
    well I'm curious too how Armin feels about this too but we probably will not get any statements from him. reminds me of Chynthia/Amelie but at least both have the chance to duke it off in the same competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    well I'm curious too how Armin feels about this too but we probably will not get any statements from him. reminds me of Chynthia/Amelie but at least both have the chance to duke it off in the same competition.
    Its not completely a Cynthia/Amelie situation in that I believe Dornbush did do better internationally this year. And once again I love how Armin fans ignore the fact that if things were done as they were always done Dornbush would have had 4ccs and Worlds last year. But it does suck for Armin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I would hazard a guess that he is displeased.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast