vCash

Cha Cha Congelado

Video of me and student:

http://youtu.be/lFtn01PiPs4

We're both signed up to test it in a couple weeks... any advice? None of the coaches around here know it... so I taught it to myself and her and am just kind of going off the pattern and videos haha.
    Thanks for any suggestions!

vCash
    You probably have seen this video ? Not bad. I'm sure the knees will bend more and there will be more flow the more you guys practices.

vCash
    Yup I have. I definitely need to bend my knees more! haha. this dance is the hardest to get any flow on though! the pattern is so awkward that it just seems to die in a few spots.

vCash
    A coach told me it is designed as an adult social dance. Pretty tricky one if you ask me.

Not surprised that your coaches wouldn't know it because many who skated years ago never had to learn it.

I would agree on the knee bend and working on smoothness. Don't kick the leg up on the three turn in the first corner because it looks like you are hitching your hip to get the turn done. Timing looks okay.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    It was created as a competitive compulsory dance by a competitive dance team and their coaches. Their goal was to bring the feel of the ballroom cha cha to the ice as much as possible.

(Aussie Willy, I wonder if that coach was thinking of the much easier lower-level Cha Cha that is done at adult social dance events?)

I know all this because one of the inventors of the Cha Cha Congelado used to be my dance coach and he would tell me the history as he was teaching me the steps.

(Really FUN dance, but I'm still learning it myself, so can't offer any useful advice to the original poster. Good luck on your test, though!!)
    Last edited by sk8girl; 01-18-2012 at 06:52 PM.

vCash
    Just one advice : to bend your knees. I think you know it, but you really need to attack and to skate in the ice (not on the ice).
    The pattern looks good to me. it's so difficult to put all those steps on the rink ! lol

vCash
    Most awkward dance pattern ever. Your dance looked to have lots of speed. You partner definitely needs to bend a lot more.

sk8girl - we had the same coach. I was there when this dance was created. I know it very well.

vCash
    I watched your video again. Definitely in the corner stretch your free leg before the three turn. I'm not sure if you are bending your leg for style but straighten it because it looks sloppy. The cross steps after the chasses on the second side, try to make them a bit more edgy and take them up more toward the middle of the ice. Like aim for the opposite corner so that you can get a nice deep edge on the inside swing roll. It's an awkward step especially for the woman so get your partner to bend a lot and sit on that edge. It just looks a little tentative.

Also keep the positions a bit closer, the hold looks a bit weak and make every step as edgy as possible. The steps should be really weavy and edgy. And just tidy up your feet a little bit.

Overall though, not knowing your test standards, I'd assume this test would pass.

vCash
    Definitely watch the ISU video if you haven't already. My biggest criticism is that you're both stepping through the dance, instead of skating through it. Knee bend will help with that, but needs to be combined with stronger pushes throughout. The dance lacks flow and run of the blade.

Looks like a fun dance--I never had a chance to try this one!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luna_skater View Post
    Looks like a fun dance--I never had a chance to try this one!
    It is quite good to do in a public session. So much popular music makes great cha cha music. Like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW1W34A-n4I
    Last edited by Aussie Willy; 01-24-2012 at 10:08 AM.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    If you have icenetwork, this dance is incorporated into the junior short dance, so you can watch a bunch of really good ones!

vCash
    I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here's a pic of my test sheet incase anyone's curious (though you can barely see... to lazy to digi cam it :p):

http://seenly.com/DwlkvkBC.jpg

My student/partner unfortunately has to retry hers though.

Thank you all for the feedback!!

vCash
    Congrats!

vCash
    Congrats !

How did your student/partner not passed if she did the exact same movements that you did along with you?

vCash
    Thank you!! She got a "needs improvement" on both expression and style/form I believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Congrats !

How did your student/partner not passed if she did the exact same movements that you did along with you?
    Because sometimes, your partner can help you during the dance, by placing you correctly, giving you some speed or something else. Judges have to look at everything. In theory, you have to know how to do the moves alone, without much help from your partner.

vCash
    Yay good job.
    Sorry your partner/student failed. I'm not surprised honestly. (sorry sounds mean but from the video she needs more work). But from being someone who formerly taught and partnered dances it sucks when the person you partner fails.

vCash
    I was actually shocked that she gave us different results!! I thought for sure we'd either both pass or both fail haha. I'm glad it wasn't due to any technical errors though!! Now that she knows the steps/pattern/flow/timing etc was all completely fine with the judge..... she can work on her expression and posture etc!

vCash
    Just get her to bend and push more and be more confident. You can see in the video you posted first she knows the steps she just looks hesitant. So get working on her confidence.

vCash
    Interesting--in the US, international dances are passed/failed as a team.