Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Has it ever been confirmed that they're dating?

vCash
    Congratulations to Caydee and John for their 4cc's silver medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sit_spin View Post
    Has it ever been confirmed that they're dating?
    They're definitely dating.

vCash
    I honestly can't wait to see what they do at Worlds!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johndockley92 View Post
    They're definitely dating.
    I wonder what happens if they ever break up as a couple? Does the skating suffer?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I wonder what happens if they ever break up as a couple? Does the skating suffer?
    I've always thought the dangers in that have been overstated. I read somewhere that Brasseur/Eisler dated and when it was over it never seemed to hurt their partnership. I bet conflicts over skating - things like training mindset, effort, choking, putting a program together and that stuff does more damage to romantic relationships than the romantic relationship or break-up does to skating. If the team works well together on ice I'd imagine they'll continue to do so, a few couples of legend notwithstanding. If skaters are like the rest of us, I'd bet a few teams have "dated" and then not dated without the public knowing about it or the team being hurt.

I don't want to like Denny/Coughlin but I do. One fan described a natural kind of joy in their skating that's evident. I thought that's well said. They're not ice dancers. At their best, they're speedy and athletic with a pretty high level of difficulty. Sure it would be great if she had Elena Bereshnaya's refinements but with pairs power and athleticism are important. I'm not too fussed about her positions in the lifts, especially as I don't think they're nearly as bad as some people claim. And some of it is her build. She's not a gamine or ballerina in build and there's nothing wrong with that. That's going to make her lines less transparent than some more sylphlike pairs women.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    I like them a lot together, they have great energy and connection, and I greatly appreciate the way John tries to mentor younger up and coming pairs. May all good things come to Caydee and John!
    ^This.

Glad that this thread was started.

I find this team very exciting. If they aren't Gordeeva and Grinkov, that's ok with me.

And I love John. He is one of the nicest people in the sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    I've always thought the dangers in that have been overstated. I read somewhere that Brasseur/Eisler dated and when it was over it never seemed to hurt their partnership. I bet conflicts over skating - things like training mindset, effort, choking, putting a program together and that stuff does more damage to romantic relationships than the romantic relationship or break-up does to skating. If the team works well together on ice I'd imagine they'll continue to do so, a few couples of legend notwithstanding. If skaters are like the rest of us, I'd bet a few teams have "dated" and then not dated without the public knowing about it or the team being hurt.
    I guess you're right I forgot about them. Maybe it's not a big deal.

I don't want to like Denny/Coughlin but I do. One fan described a natural kind of joy in their skating that's evident. I thought that's well said. They're not ice dancers. At their best, they're speedy and athletic with a pretty high level of difficulty. Sure it would be great if she had Elena Bereshnaya's refinements but with pairs power and athleticism are important. I'm not too fussed about her positions in the lifts, especially as I don't think they're nearly as bad as some people claim. And some of it is her build. She's not a gamine or ballerina in build and there's nothing wrong with that. That's going to make her lines less transparent than some more sylphlike pairs women.
    I never did like B/S for some reason, they always seemed to vacant but I do like how athletic D/C are, I hope they keep that style, but she does need to work on her posture.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I'm not fond at all of that first position in the final lift in D/C's FS (photo linked in the post above) or the positions that follow. I think Caydee's best looking lift this season is the one in the SP when she finishes in the platter position.

They and their coach seem aware of what they need to work on both for the remainder of this season and in the off season: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-20-2012 at 07:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    ^This.

Glad that this thread was started.

I find this team very exciting. If they aren't Gordeeva and Grinkov, that's ok with me.

And I love John. He is one of the nicest people in the sport.
    Thanks for sharing that about John, kwanette and Yazmeen. Right now, I enjoy watching M/B more than D/C, as well as the young up-and-coming US teams of D/S, C/R (some of the jr. US pairs teams are also looking very promising). I am glad that Caydee let her hair down for the fp. I think the bun makes her look unrecognizable and sorta like a clone of "idealized, lyrical" female pairs skater, which is definitely not her style. With her hair down, Caydee's unique flair shines (she could benefit by getting some help toning down and refining her makeup). The unique thing about D/C is their energy and excitement in skating together, and their solid overall pairs skills. But I don't feel their sp this season suits their style, altho' maybe it helped them to start out together somewhat conservatively with music and choreo in order to gain a comfortable foundation together while attempting to please the judges. If they can step it up and find a better on-ice identity while building on their strengths (similar to how Ina & Zimmerman were able to develop a strong partnership and a unique on-ice look), yes of course, D/C don't need to aspire to be G/G.

Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I guess you're right I forgot about them. Maybe it's not a big deal.
    I never did like B/S for some reason, they always seemed to vacant but I do like how athletic D/C are, I hope they keep that style, but she does need to work on her posture.
    I did like watching B/S, but they tended to falter in big moments, and although they always skated beautifully, they often seemed to lack passion and excitement.

Re that fp photo of Caydee in final lift: Aaaargh!

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I'm not fond at all of that position in the final lift in D/C's FS (photo linked in the post above). I think Caydee's best looking lift this season is the one in the SP when she finishes in the platter position.

They and their coach seem aware of what they need to work on in the off season: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Thanks for the link, Sylvia. What they said re their sp selection this year, echoes what I thought.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-20-2012 at 08:03 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I'm not fond at all of that first position in the final lift in D/C's FS (photo linked in the post above) or the positions that follow. I think Caydee's best looking lift this season is the one in the SP when she finishes in the platter position.

They and their coach seem aware of what they need to work on both for the remainder of this season and in the off season: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Yes. The article mentions Dalilah using words like 'line' and 'extension' so I'm hopeful. However, these issues are chronic with Caydee, so I think it will take a lot of hard work. In the same IN article, Caydee goes on to talk about technical ambitions, so I hope it's easy to keep her focused on 'line' and 'extension' - probably a better way to get points and less stress than quad twists and throws

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    I definitely appreciate Caydee's revamped triple twist technique. It's really an outstanding twist. They have a great catch, and John's on one foot, which not enough teams do. While they need more intricacy in future programs and should try to find lift positions that suit her better (more flexibility would obviously help, but I don't think she's as inflexible as she's coming across)
    I wonder if Caydee lacks flexibility in her back and in general due to her build or other factors? If so, how much can she really improve (with ballet, specific exercises, etc.) in order to attain more attractive lift positions? Are attractive lift positions (beyond pointed toes) more about flexibility or core strength?

The Four Continents field is pretty thin this year, so solid programs would put them in great shape.
    Good call!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-20-2012 at 08:55 PM.

vCash
    See, I think Caydee has a beautiful arched back. She could get more amplitute in her legs in different positions that she hits, straighten the knee in lifts a bit more, but I can't quarrel with her posture.

They are a bit of a throwback to some former American and Canadian teams - that kind of athletic, unpretentious, fun, charming style. As much as Caitlyn Yanakowskas is talented, I think Denny is just as talented an athlete, and she and John do have compatible performance styles, and a natural connection that helps their programs flow.

vCash
    Sylvia posted this thread in the other thread I started about Denney/Coughlin so I'm reviving this thread to cheer for them I was glad when they won a medal on the Grand Prix this season! Here's hoping they can win another National title this season!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    Sylvia posted this thread in the other thread I started about Denney/Coughlin so I'm reviving this thread to cheer for them I was glad when they won a medal on the Grand Prix this season! Here's hoping they can win another National title this season!

I'll be rooting for them in Boston!

vCash
    ^ So will I!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Baseball-themed "fluff" MLB blog article: Royals fan and KC native John Coughlin pursues Olympic dream
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Since this positive thread has been revived after a looooong hiatus (around the time of their silver medal at 2012 Four Continents), I will use it to post this season's news and updates.

I'll begin with Jean-Christophe Berlot's upbeat interview with John & Caydee in Paris (before they won their third Grand Prix bronze medal in 2 years): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/...ding-into-form
    Excerpt from the beginning:
    Icenetwork: You seem to be so enthusiastic when you are on the ice!

Coughlin: Actually we are so grateful to be back on the ice this year, after the injury we sustained last year. Usually you tend to take what you have for granted. When something has been taken away from you for a while, then you understand that nothing is to be taken for granted at all. So I suppose that it does reflect in our skating.

Caydee and I really enjoy skating together, both in practice and at competitions. We want to give back as much as possible of what skating gives us and let people join in our joy. Every team has its own character on the ice. For us, I suppose that our character is the passion we have for skating.
    More links to come in the future, including the launch of D/C's new official website on FSO!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks Sylvia. Good luck to Caydee and John. Hopefully they will win another national title.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I think they've been one of the more consistent teams the US has had the past few years and their technical content could be very useful to the US in the team competition. I also loved John's quote about their enthusiasm for skating and wanting to share that joy.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast