vCash

Mystery pairs photo

This photo is in Joy Goodwin's The Second Mark (about SLC). The caption reads: "A pair of world champions practice on the windowed rink [in St. Petersburg]." Does anybody know who they might be? At first I thought that was Denis Petrov (in which case the caption about the world champions would be wrong) but maybe it's Shishkova and Naumov? I'm really not sure. Any help would be appreciated!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ps5dd71665.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unchat123 View Post
    This photo is in Joy Goodwin's The Second Mark (about SLC). The caption reads: "A pair of world champions practice on the windowed rink [in St. Petersburg]." Does anybody know who they might be? At first I thought that was Denis Petrov (in which case the caption about the world champions would be wrong) but maybe it's Shishkova and Naumov? I'm really not sure. Any help would be appreciated!

Looks like Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze to me, and they definitely used that move in several of their programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unchat123 View Post

I think its Bereznhay-Sicharulidze

vCash
    Odd that the caption doesn't say B/S since they're identified by name in all other photos of them that are in the book, though... The photo is also on a full page of general non-B/S photos of the Yubileyny, which is why I would find it odd that it is unidentified as being of B/S.
    Last edited by unchat123; 12-05-2013 at 06:04 PM.

vCash
    She's too blond and too tiny for Berezhnaya. I think it's Shishkova -Naumov. Shishkova fits that profile.

vCash
    http://www.iceskate.net/bersik_pix.php

The third image in the first row of photos is Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze in the same pose as the photo - would definitely seem to be them.
    When watching live I like everyone to skate clean - but on television the occasional trainwreck can be fun.

vCash
    beautiful pose

vCash
    Definitely Elena-Anton. This was their signature move. Also notice her long limbs and elegant posture with her neck backward, the hand in the air nicely bent, and his pointed toes.

vCash
    Elena has much longer legs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    Elena has much longer legs.
    I think that the angle of the photo causes both of the skaters back legs to be foreshortened. The lady's front leg appears to be much longer than the back leg, not as easy to see on the man but look at the man's head, that is totally Anton, no one else has that hair...

vCash
    That is definitely B&S. They did that move in quite a few programs.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    That looks like B/S to me too. At first I just saw the hair and thought Woetzel and Steuer, but nah. I think Mandy wasn't quite that tiny, and you can see Anton's facial features.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Definitely Elena-Anton. This was their signature move. Also notice her long limbs and elegant posture with her neck backward, the hand in the air nicely bent, and his pointed toes.
    IMO, their carriage, line and unison is second to none in the history of the sport. Even the simplest movements of theirs gave me chills. I miss them so much.

vCash
    Thanks guys!

vCash
    Why doesn't someone just ask the skaters if it's them or not?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    IMO, their carriage, line and unison is second to none in the history of the sport. Even the simplest movements of theirs gave me chills. I miss them so much.
    ITA. I can watch any B&S performance any time, even when they make mistakes. There is a rare beauty to their skating. I have been fortunate enough to watch them skate live about 10 times.

vCash
    I opened the link expecting Shish/Naumov, but on seeing the picture, I immediately thought Ber/Sikh. There is something pretty recognizable about his back/butt/legs.

vCash
    Yep, that's B&S alright.