Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Local idioms

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I learned very quickly once I moved out of Northeastern US that Yiddish sayings are not generally known outside that region, with specific regional exceptions - never mind outside the US. I remember having to explain "tuckus" to someone I worked with in Ireland, who'd never heard the term, never heard any other Yiddish, and didn't know what Yiddish was. With me not knowing that it wasn't a term that everyone knew and used, because where I was from, everyone did.
    I think, especially in the New york area. I thought everyone used the word schmuck, for an obnoxious, twit. But, outside of this area, many have never heard it. Of course, I didn't know, until college, what the literal translation is .

BTW, I LOVE your signature!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Also, in Scotland & Ireland, I was asked more than once if I was from Australia - and I'm from Seattle
    People from the US tend to have broad vowels, which to some people from the UK and Ireland make us sound like we're from Australia. Even more so for me, because I am also non-rhotive, being from Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post
    Many, many years ago, I was on the phone with someone in New York and he said I had a midwestern accent (excuse me, a New Yorker saying *I* had an accent?). Anyway, I said Ohio's the only state that doesn't have ANY accent! ha ha ha
    Ohio has a very strong accent to me, especially in and near Cleveland. It's very mid-western to my ear. Flat vowels, a bit nasal.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    "Bubbler" is one of those words that I've known existed since I was an early teen, but I never heard anyone actually say until a couple of years ago. I nearly peed my pants with excitement the first time I heard someone (a Bostonian) say he was going to the "bubblah" for a drink.
    I will happily say bubblah for you next time we have a NYC get-together.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    I will happily say bubblah for you next time we have a NYC get-together.
    Now wait, isn't that a grandmother? (I know it's bubala, but I've heard it pronounced like bubblah )

vCash
    Bless your heart can have several meanings, with the true meaning being conveyed by tone of voice and facial expression. Bless your heart with the emphasis on the bless said in a condescending voice means basically you're a f****** idiot. One of my friends from New Jersey said that she would just say "you're a f****** idiot." My response: "So would we, just not in polite company." Always that Southern veneer of politeness

Bless your heart said with a very sincere facial expression and the emphasis more on the work heart is an expression of sympathy or of poor you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Spinner, you know I was just kidding, right?

vCash
    Originally Posted by znachki: Also, in Scotland & Ireland, I was asked more than once if I was from Australia - and I'm from Seattle

People from the US tend to have broad vowels, which to some people from the UK and Ireland make us sound like we're from Australia. Even more so for me, because I am also non-rhotive, being from Boston.
    When it happened, it struck me as funny, since so many Americans can't differentiate the various accents in rest of the English speaking world. But I'd never thought about it working in reverse.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314