Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Vacationing in the Carolinas

My husband and I are thinking about going to South Carolina for a much needed vacation. Any tips or suggestions? How warm is it in April? Are we better off waiting until May? We have a five year old son who loves to play at the beach.

Thank you!
    Last edited by algonquin; 02-10-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Clarity

Grooving!
    vCash
    Correction: you're not going to "The Carolinas." You're going to SOUTH Carolina.

It's impossible to answer that question unless you tell us WHERE in SC you're going. There can be a 20 degree difference between the Piedmont & mountains area and the coastal region.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
    Correction: you're not going to "The Carolinas." You're going to SOUTH Carolina.
    Sorry, you are correct but I can't correct the title.

Quote Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
    It's impossible to answer that question unless you tell us WHERE in SC you're going. There can be a 20 degree difference between the Piedmont & mountains area and the coastal region.
    Coastal

From the Bloc
    vCash
    If you like colonial and early American history, tours of historic homes/plantations, beautiful gardens and really great food then don't miss Charleston.

Grooving!
    vCash
    Lows could be around 50F in April, with highs in the mid 70s. They'll go up around 10 degrees in May.

The water will be too cold for sure in April, if you're thinking about swimming or water-related stuff. May is still pretty cool, water-wise.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    If you are anywhere near the border with Georgia, Savannah is a very nice city to visit.

Grooving!
    vCash
    Maybe it would also help if you shared info about what kinds of things you like to do on vacation. What are your interests? Arts? History? Architecture? Golf or other sports? Just relaxing?

vCash
    ^^ Relaxing would be our main focus. We want to keep things low key...

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I don't know if you are male or female and I assume "we" is your spouse and you? Do either of you like to play golf? My Dad recently took a vacation there just to play golf. They have tons of great golf courses and I assume April will be a really nice time of year to play.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I think Hilton Head is the place you need to go. It's not cheap, but I have been told that because of where it sits it tends to be warmer. Can't swear to it, but I have been in April before and the weather was good. Disney has a hotel there with lots of activities for the kids.

vCash
    My apologies for not being more specific, I started the thread in a hurry between appointments. (I'd like to go to bed and start this day over again.) By we, I meant my husband, my son and myself. (I am female.) We are looking for a relaxing vacation by the coast at a time when it is hot, but not stifling hot. I like to swim and my son loves to play on the beach. My husband and I enjoy historic places, but they will probably bore our son. So, a couple of suggestions for some kid friendly places would be appreciated. I hope that is clearer.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I know you said South Carolina, but I do highly recommend Savannah and Tybee Island. We went there several years ago (in August - HOT HOT HOT!) when my son was, I think, about 12. We rented a house on the beach - saw dolphins swimming wild, watched the fishing boats in the mornings, and the cruise and container ships going by. There's a fort on the island, an interesting museum, and a lighthouse you can climb.

Savannah has enough history for the adults and fun for the kids. We even took a walking ghost tour, which was fun. http://www.officialsavannahguide.com...page/Itemid,1/

vCash
    In the south when it is hot it is humid. April is not usually hot in the Carolina's. I'm thinking 70's. I would head a bit further south, for warmer water. The panhandle of Florida.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    There a lot of nice places that offer what you are looking for in South Carolina, but not in April and maybe not even in late May.

A couple of places a little further south that I would recommend if you're looking for a relaxing beach vacation where it's quiet and your son can enjoy the beach:

Jekyll Island--quiet, very nice beach, good for biking and strolling. Temps are in the low to mid-80s in May.

Sanibel Island--it's in Florida, so the weather should be good; similar to Jekyll Island. Temps are in the higher 80s in May.

If you want to stick to South Carolina, I have plenty of enthusiastic things to say about the barrier islands around Charleston; Kiawah and Seabrook are particularly good for families with kids. Kiawah has a 10 mile beach that is just gorgeous; Seabrook is smaller but has horseback riding and more convenient boating opportunities. If you are interested in either of those, I've been many, many times and can tell you more. But it won't be warm enough to go in the ocean, at least not for long.

All of the above have programs and activities for kids, although the programs are limited until summer vacation starts. You didn't say how old your son is, but I'm thinking he's pretty young?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Just a bit south of Myrtle Beach is Litchfield Beach / Pawley's Island. The Litchfield Inn has a nice Inn and Golf Resort with a lot of things for the kids, including indoor pools. In April, I think it's too cold to go swimming outdoors, but they do have outdoor pools, a water park and of course, the beach itself. (They also have tennis and golf on the property, which has several buildings, most of which are condos and time shares that they rent out, so they're well-maintained.)

http://www.litchfieldbeach.com/

The location is close enough to Myrtle Beach to go to restaurants, activities and shows with a short drive. The place has been there forever; my DH used to vacation there with his parents when he was a child. My MIL was a travel agent, so she made those arrangements. We've been there several times over the last ten years and it's always nice. During the off-season, it's a little too quiet for my taste. Some of the shops and cafes close or have limited hours.

vCash
    Isn't there a wildlife reserve run by the National Park Service near Kiawah? That may be another outing for your vacation.

vCash
    Thank you! When is the American Spring Break?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Thank you! When is the American Spring Break?
    Different colleges and school districts take it at different times. It can be anywhere from February to April, but it's normally no later than Easter, which is on April 8 this year.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    I know you said South Carolina, but I do highly recommend Savannah and Tybee Island. We went there several years ago (in August - HOT HOT HOT!) when my son was, I think, about 12. We rented a house on the beach - saw dolphins swimming wild, watched the fishing boats in the mornings, and the cruise and container ships going by. There's a fort on the island, an interesting museum, and a lighthouse you can climb.
    Between Savannah and Tybee Island there's a great plantation site - a long alley leading into it, good interpretation displays, and the whole thing is just ruins, which could be fun for a boy to play around in while mom and dad enjoy the gardens and history.

Wormsloe Historic Site

vCash
    I forgot about spring breaks. Stay clear. And also bikers weeks the last 2 weeks of May. I would try for the end of April or beginning of May. Forgot about Kiawah, went once and loved it. Charleston was further away than I had hoped, but there was a marina close by that had some shops and restaurants. Maybe you could ask Tara about staying at her house. She made a very wise decision to buy on that island it is wonderful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast