View Poll Results: Which of these Oscars should've been Meryl Streep's?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2010-Julia & Julia (S. Bullock, The Blind Side)

29 40.28%
  • 2009-Doubt (K. Winslet, The Reader)

5 6.94%
  • 2003-(supporting)-Adaptation (C. Zeta-Jones, Chicago)

14 19.44%
  • 1999-One True Thing (G. Paltrow, Shakespeare in Love) (also nom: C. Blanchett, Elizabeth)

8 11.11%
  • 1991-Postcards from the Edge (K. Bates, Misery)

1 1.39%
  • 1988-Ironweed (Cher, Moonstruck)

3 4.17%
  • 1986-Out of Africa (G. Page, The Trip to Bountiful)

20 27.78%
  • 1984-Silkwood (S. MacLaine, Terms of Endearment)

5 6.94%
  • 1982-French Lt's Woman (K. Hepburn, On Golden Pond) (also nom: M. Mason, Only When I Laugh)

10 13.89%
  • 1979-(supporting)-The Deer Hunter (M. Smith, California Suite)

5 6.94%
  • Other (please comment) (see list below)

6 8.33%
  • Never! Each winner, or someone else, deserved her win over Meryl

6 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    I need to watch The Hours again because I remember it being wooden and pretentious. I do think I was coming off an anti-Kidman thing though which is funny because I seriously like her now thanks to Dogville (which I didn't think was all that), Fur, and Rabbit Hole. I think I'm almost a fan.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I need to watch The Hours again because I remember it being wooden and pretentious. I do think I was coming off an anti-Kidman thing though which is funny because I seriously like her now thanks to Dogville (which I didn't think was all that), Fur, and Rabbit Hole. I think I'm almost a fan.
    I'm in the same boat about Kidman, I loved her in Dogville, To Die For, and Rabbit Hole despite almost not seeing those films because she was starring. I didn't like her very much in The Hours or Moulin Rogue.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i thought she won because tom cruise left her

which seems like enough of a prize on its own
    Yeah, the pressure of being Cruise's beard had to weigh heavily on her...
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    I wonder why Meryl was never nominated for She-Devil and Death Becomes Her.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Adaptation and Silkwood. Her role in Adaptation is one of my favorites ever and while I love Debra Winger and Shirley MacLaine in Terms of Endearment, I still prefer Meryl in Silkwood.

Her role in A Cry in The Dark is one of my favorites too but Glenn Close in Dangerous Liaisons is my favorite that year.

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I don't think Gwyneth Paltrow should have won for Shakespeare in Love, but I don't think Streep should have won that year either. I think Streep has won when she has been truly phenomenal, and in other years she seems to have been nominated just because she is Streep.
    ITA. Fernanda Montenegro was my favorite that year. I'm a big fan of Meryl Streep but I agree that sometimes it seems that she is nominated only because she is Meryl Streep.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Close was so good in Liaisons. One of my favorite films ... well, except for John Malkovich. Who won the Oscar that year?
    I thought Malkovich was excellent in that role! He fell into the mannerisms, costuming and sets of the day so easily, and seemed to relish every line. A truly great performance IMO.

Close was also exquisite - I never get tired of that movie!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I thought Malkovich was excellent in that role! He fell into the mannerisms, costuming and sets of the day so easily, and seemed to relish every line. A truly great performance IMO.

Close was also exquisite - I never get tired of that movie!

I agree about Malkovich; I know a lot of people think he was miscast in that, but I loved him and thought he brought just the right amount of menace skulking down those dark corridors with a candelabra in his hand. I found it very atmospheric and right on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I wonder why Meryl was never nominated for She-Devil and Death Becomes Her.
    I love her in Death Becomes Her also. That one is underrated. Meryl is so hilarious in that.

vCash
    I even liked her in Mama Mia. She can handle any kind of role. However, it was obvious that she was a solid contender for Doubt that year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I agree. Streep's performance in The Hours certainly deserved a nomination that year, whereas Kidman's did not. Julianne Moore was robbed of the win in lead actress that year for Far From Heaven.
    Big.
    Red.
    X

Julianne was perfection in that role. Perfection as a 50s woman dealing with her husband's

Spoiler

and awakening to other things in the world around her, like racism.

But, alas it was just an incredible, subtle story. No fake nose or disability/disease + no suicide scene = no chance for Oscar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I agree. Streep's performance in The Hours certainly deserved a nomination that year, whereas Kidman's did not. Julianne Moore was robbed of the win in lead actress that year for Far From Heaven.
    ITA about Moore.

It bothers me when actors/actresses get nominated just for -1) putting on a fake nose, etc., 2) gaining weight/choosing to be ugly for the role, 3)missed out in previous years due to unfair judging/voting.

The actual acting has to be rewarded over fake anything, including gaining/losing weight. I see that as part of the makeup/costume, and should not be a factor in the best actor award.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    1986-Out of Africa (G. Page, The Trip to Bountiful)
    I believe this was 1985:
    Anne Bancroft, Agnes of God
    Whoopi Goldberg, The Color Purple
    Jessica Lange, Sweet Dreams
    Geraldine Page, The Trip to Bountiful
    Meryl Streep, Out of Africa

I would have had Whoopi Goldberg winning for "The Color Purple", but I definitely thought Whoopi or Meryl should have won over Geraldine Page.

vCash
    I voted for Julie & Julia, because I just can't get over how much Meryl immersed herself in that role. Now when I see the real Julia on TV I keep thinking that it's an actress sending up Meryl's performance...it was that good!

And while Sandy Bullock's role, also of a real person was good, I could see other actresses doing that role, whereas I can't imagine any other actress doing what Meryl did.

vCash
    Well, I liked Nicole Kidman in The Hours. A lot.

There's something about Julianne Moore that I don't like. She has some mannerisms and inflections that I find repetitive and fake.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    Well, I liked Nicole Kidman in The Hours. A lot.
    Me too. This is the scene from the film that sticks in my mind.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Math is hard.
    Not the math, you're just in deep denial it could possibly have been THAT LONG. (I mean, I was like Really? Not since then? Like, not since I was in nursery school?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Big.
    Red.
    X

Julianne was perfection in that role. Perfection as a 50s woman dealing with her husband's

Spoiler

and awakening to other things in the world around her, like racism.

But, alas it was just an incredible, subtle story. No fake nose or disability/disease + no suicide scene = no chance for Oscar.
    ITA. That was Moore's best performance every - the nuances were amazing, particularly her body language and demeanous, which perfectly captured both her character and the times.

vCash
    Furthermore, Julianne was nominated for lead actress for "Far From Heaven" in 2002, which was also set in the 1950s - so that makes 2 films in the same year where Moore got nominated portraying a character from the same era (although she does advance in time later on in "The Hours")

vCash
    ^ I think it should have helped her because though her characters were vastly different and she did a brilliant job in both. I don't think Moore has ever topped herself since Far From Heaven. I remember her receiving the most accolades by far from the critics and it's a shame she ended up losing to Kidman who donned a fake nose and was riding the wave of post-Tom Cruise sympathy (oh and some thought she was robbed for Moulin Rouge which is so whatever. Moulin Rouge wasn't even Kidman's best performance that year. She was better in The Others).
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I didn't see The Hours, but even if Kidman didn't deserve the nomination/win I don't care because she was so robbed of not being nominated--and winning--for To Die For.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast