View Poll Results: Which of these Oscars should've been Meryl Streep's?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2010-Julia & Julia (S. Bullock, The Blind Side)

29 40.28%
  • 2009-Doubt (K. Winslet, The Reader)

5 6.94%
  • 2003-(supporting)-Adaptation (C. Zeta-Jones, Chicago)

14 19.44%
  • 1999-One True Thing (G. Paltrow, Shakespeare in Love) (also nom: C. Blanchett, Elizabeth)

8 11.11%
  • 1991-Postcards from the Edge (K. Bates, Misery)

1 1.39%
  • 1988-Ironweed (Cher, Moonstruck)

3 4.17%
  • 1986-Out of Africa (G. Page, The Trip to Bountiful)

20 27.78%
  • 1984-Silkwood (S. MacLaine, Terms of Endearment)

5 6.94%
  • 1982-French Lt's Woman (K. Hepburn, On Golden Pond) (also nom: M. Mason, Only When I Laugh)

10 13.89%
  • 1979-(supporting)-The Deer Hunter (M. Smith, California Suite)

5 6.94%
  • Other (please comment) (see list below)

6 8.33%
  • Never! Each winner, or someone else, deserved her win over Meryl

6 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Reminder, Streep's wins were:
    ** 1980: (Supporting) Kramer V Kramer
    ** 1983: Sophie's Choice
    Yes, it's been 19 damned years since America's greatest actress has won an Oscar!
    No, hon, it's been TWENTY-NINE years.

vCash
    I picked several, and some that were not listed(*).

Out of Africa- could be my most favorite Meryl movie
    Adaptation (definitely wuzrobbed)
    A cry in the dark*
    Silkwood
    One true thing (it was a pity that Paltrow won it)
    The devil wears prada *
    Julie and Julia (Meryl was the only one that kept me awake in parts of the movie; the rest put me to sleep)

I did not see Postcards from the edge and Ironweed.

I was surprised that she was not even nominated for the Hillary Clinton-like role (played by Angela Lansbury in the past): I am forgetting the movie title- need help.

No complaints about Winslett's win over Doubt, although Streep was good enough to win the SAG for that role.

No complaints about Music of the heart not winning. The movie was a box office failure.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post

I was surprised that she was not even nominated for the Hillary Clinton-like role (played by Angela Lansbury in the past): I am forgetting the movie title- need help.

The Manchurian Candidate?

vCash
    She was great in The Manchurian Candidate. A lot of her losses are for excellent performances but I don't think she really deserved to win for a lot of the losses over other losers. Like Glenn Close for Dangerous Liaisons or Elizabeth Shue or Sharon Stone in 1995.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    The Manchurian Candidate? I don't remember much about the 2004 version of the film, but I honestly forgot that Streep was even in it. So again, if the film is not terribly well received, its actors are less likely are going to be nominated. But maybe others liked it more. I thought it paled by comparison to the Sinatra version.

Frankly I'm surprised Streep was nominated for One True Thing -- not because she was anything less than her usual wonderful self, but I thought the movie was cookie-cutter and instantly forgettable. (That might have had something to do with a certain Ms. Zellwegger of course ...) I'm not normally a big Paltrow fan, but I did think she was great in SiL, and that movie at the time was more of an "Oscar" movie. So I'm not crying foul on that one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    The Manchurian Candidate?
    That's the one. Since I had not seen the old version with Lansbury, I thought it was a good movie, though not great. I thought Streep was great in it, so it came as a shock that she was not even nominated.

vCash
    I think her nomination for One True Thing made more sense than her nomination for Music of the Heart! Streep + Cancer was a good shot with the academy- and the move was seen as much better than Sarandon's Stepmom which may have helped Streep in a way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    No, hon, it's been TWENTY-NINE years.
    Math is hard.

vCash
    I'm torn between Streep in Julie and Julia and Streep in Adaptation.

Her performance in Adaptation was one of the best performances of the 2000s and I absolutely loved the film. That said, CZJ was wonderful in Chicago even if it wasn't up to Streep's standards (though I would have given the Oscar to Emily Mortimer in Lovely and Amazing had she been nominated).

My vote for Julie and Julia was due to it being a pretty ho-hum year with Bullock winning for a performance that was far from impressive and not even nomination-worthy. Talk about lack of subtlety, depth, and simple-mindedness. I'm talking both of Bullock's performance and that hack of a film. I think it's one of those things that even the Bullock knew she didn't deserve which would explain her whole demeanor that night (well I'm sure it was really the fact that her husband was cheating on her and knowing the story was going to break out the next day).
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Has anyone lost more times than Meryl?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Has anyone lost more times than Meryl?

I don't know if she lost more than Meryl, but I believe Deborah Kerr holds the record for woman with most nominations and NO win. (Man who holds that record is Richard Burton IIRC.)

PS I'd give it to MS for Julie and Julia; I thought she was phenomenal in that.

vCash
    I don't think Gwyneth Paltrow should have won for Shakespeare in Love, but I don't think Streep should have won that year either. I think Streep has won when she has been truly phenomenal, and in other years she seems to have been nominated just because she is Streep.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Without commenting on what Meryl should have won, I just want to say what a wonderful actress she is.

In Australia we were very impressed with Meryl's Aussie accent in Evil Angels (or Cry in the Dark as it was publicised in the US). It is a really hard accent for anyone not Australian to get. The only ones who I think have done it well were Meryl and Robert Downey Jnr.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    She was great in The Manchurian Candidate. A lot of her losses are for excellent performances but I don't think she really deserved to win for a lot of the losses over other losers. Like Glenn Close for Dangerous Liaisons or Elizabeth Shue or Sharon Stone in 1995.
    Close was so good in Liaisons. One of my favorite films ... well, except for John Malkovich. Who won the Oscar that year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Close was so good in Liaisons. One of my favorite films ... well, except for John Malkovich. Who won the Oscar that year?
    It was Jodie Foster for the Accused. There was also Streep, Sigourney Weaver-Gorillas in the Mist, Melanie Griffith-Working Girl and Close.

vCash
    Not sure if this applies, but interestingly, I could have totally seen a 2002 combo Streep nomination for "Adaptation" supporting and "The Hours" lead, but I guess they figured to push their efforts towards "Adaptation" supporting and give the supporting nod for "The Hours" to Julianne Moore and the lead to Nicole Kidman instead...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Not sure if this applies, but interestingly, I could have totally seen a 2002 combo Streep nomination for "Adaptation" supporting and "The Hours" lead, but I guess they figured to push their efforts towards "Adaptation" supporting and give the supporting nod for "The Hours" to Julianne Moore and the lead to Nicole Kidman instead...
    I agree. Streep's performance in The Hours certainly deserved a nomination that year, whereas Kidman's did not. Julianne Moore was robbed of the win in lead actress that year for Far From Heaven.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Kidman won because of a damn fake nose. Seriously, I am convinced that she won because she "transformed" into Virginia Wolfe except that the majority of the transformation was a prosthetic nose. Streep was amazing in her scenes, especially with her ex who was dying of AIDS. The Hours is my favorite movie of all time, I have seen it countless times. People think it is horribly boring (and I actually see why they would think so) but it just pulls me in, the dialogue is just perfect.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Kidman won because of a damn fake nose. .
    i thought she won because tom cruise left her

which seems like enough of a prize on its own
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i thought she won because tom cruise left her

which seems like enough of a prize on its own
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast