Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

vCash
    I used to be a big fan of Madonna, found many of her videos entertaining and interesting.

Now-days, as far as I am concerned, she lost all her originality. This video is nothing special..

Bad lip-sync. Bad mix of 25 year-old top videos (Mat-Girl, Prayer, Vogue, etc). The worst: Madonna is starting to look like Goldie Hawn’s character after a lip-injection in “First Wives Club”.
    http://cdn.buzznet.com/media-cdn/jj1...me-video.jpg?1
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...wnfwc.jpg/sr=1

…. And when her lips are not pumped up, she looks like a poor copy of Faye Dunaway and Betty Davis..

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo..._635/image.jpg

http://www.aishamusic.com/Judiciary_...etty-davis.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    That's when New York was New York, sonny. A hooker on every corner and a hot dog in every pot.
    Ah, how I long for the Good Old Days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Did someone say "more horns"?
    I see your horns and raise you this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cma0uziW8DE
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I see your horns and raise you this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cma0uziW8DE
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    When I watched this video the first time, I didn't even realize MIA was in the video. I guess I didn't watch that closely.

I don't really know any of Madonna's music (only song I know well is "Ray of Light"), so I have no previous standard to compare it to. I guess because I have no expectations, I really didn't think it was that awful. It's a throwaway, inoffensive pop song with a catchy little hook. If I expected anything, this isn't far from the mark. It's not like it's Susan Boyle up there.

I am surprised by MIA though. Didn't expect her on this type of song.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    The most played songs on US radio in the past decade:

1. Nickelback, How You Remind Me
    2. Train, Drops of Jupiter
    3. Lifehouse, Hanging By a Moment
    4. Faith Hill, Breathe
    5. 3 Doors Down, Kryptonite
    6. Faith Hill, The Way You Love Me
    7. Lee Ann Womack, I Hope You Dance
    (source: http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...ade08_TB_N.htm)

So after you get over being depressed....I don't see a lot of people in their 20s on this list. Radio isn't as age-conscious as you might think.
    These songs make the list because they were all released towards the beginning of the time period. How do you expect a song to make a "best of the decade" list when it was released less than 5 years ago or even just last year? Look at a more recent round up of radio songs and get back to me. I also have constantly spoken of POP and that is what I am referring to. Madonna's airplay is in no way affected by what goes on in country radio and 3 of those songs are by country artists. Who cares if country radio likes playing older artists, Madonna is not a country artist. The other acts are ALL considered HAC/AC staples. None of them are Pop staples anymore. Guess the average age of Pop radio listeners compared to country/HAC/AC.

P.S. I am rounding up the ages of all the singers/lead singers and so far Kroeger (lead singer of Nickelback) was in his 20's when the song was released. The lead singer of Lifehouse was in his lower 20s! I can't find the age of the lead singer of 3 Doors Down but what do you know, their song was released in 2001. I am willing to bet he was in his 20's as well. Womack and Hill were not in their 20's but again, country. Train lead singer appears to be in his 30's upon released but what do you know, the song released in 2001. So what did you do? You found a list of the biggest hits of 2001 that continued to get radio play throughout the decade. It says absolutely NOTHING of which you claim.
    Last edited by BigB08822; 02-05-2012 at 12:25 AM.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    These songs make the list because they were all released towards the beginning of the time period. How do you expect a song to make a "best of the decade" list when it was released less than 5 years ago or even just last year?
    This is not a "best of" list (obviously, if Nickelback is included). This is a list of the songs that got played the most on radio over the past 10 years, with all genres included. Yes, a song that got released more recently would have less chance of making that list, but that's not the point. If radio has the age bias that you claim, this list would be full of younger artists (since presumably the older artists wouldn't get played often enough to be on the list at all) - and it's not.

On another note, I'm actually surprised that some of the bigger selling artists with long careers over the past couple of decades, like Madonna and Michael Jackson, are not on this list at all. Nickelback must be getting played way too often.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Heard the song. Wouldn't change the radio station if the song came on, but wouldn't purchase it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Interesting how Madonna seems to think that being that old, she needs to collaborate with young, hip artists to stay on top.
    If I was her, I would do the same thing because it takes a paradigm shift for her to reach a young audience, so she has to research with somebody with experience. There are certain things that are universal about life, like on again-off again dating relationships, etc, but in her day, girls waited by the phone, tied up the phone, dreamed of having a phone in their room for privacy . . . Now, girls have cellphones, text, IM, Facebook, etc, that can go anywhere. Navigating life as a young person is very different now than in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    ...The production on it sounds completely half-assed. It's like she knows she can churn out whatever crap she wants and people will still eat it up because she's f*cking Madonna...
    She does know . . . so does every name brand company turning out homogenous products. Madonna is producing homogeneous pop music that is Madonna brand like Procter & Gamble is producing homogeneous soap that is Ivory brand. People buy more expensive Ivory soap because it is "f*cking" Ivory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    The worst: Madonna is starting to look like Goldie Hawn’s character after a lip-injection in “First Wives Club”.
    http://cdn.buzznet.com/media-cdn/jj1...me-video.jpg?1
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...wnfwc.jpg/sr=1

…. And when her lips are not pumped up, she looks like a poor copy of Faye Dunaway and Betty Davis..

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo..._635/image.jpg

http://www.aishamusic.com/Judiciary_...etty-davis.jpg
    I'm not certain that she would be insulted to be compared to either of those ladies.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 02-05-2012 at 03:50 AM.

vCash
    Doesn't take much to disturb you.

I'm very happy with seeing a video where MEN are used as sexual objects, for once.
    Being shot multiple times in the chest by a tommy-gun and then being beheaded with a baseball bat is showing men as "sexual objects"? No... it's gratuitous violence. If one thinks that's "sexual", I don't know what to say

-Bridget

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cailuj365 View Post
    When I watched this video the first time, I didn't even realize MIA was in the video. I guess I didn't watch that closely.

I don't really know any of Madonna's music (only song I know well is "Ray of Light"), so I have no previous standard to compare it to. I guess because I have no expectations, I really didn't think it was that awful. It's a throwaway, inoffensive pop song with a catchy little hook. If I expected anything, this isn't far from the mark. It's not like it's Susan Boyle up there.

I am surprised by MIA though. Didn't expect her on this type of song.
    I agree. I don't think it's horrible. I don't care for this type of music, but it seems like it would fit in with most mainstream pop today. Also, IMO she's looking the best she has in recent years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    Also, IMO she's looking the best she has in recent years.
    She looks great in the video but it's also due in large part to makeup, lighting, digital photo-shopping, etc. Madonna's face in the video looks different than when she's photographed on the red carpet - it's very smoothed out.

vCash
    And, imo, if anyone's a "sexual object" in this vid, it's Madge. Shooting and beheading is not making the football players "sexual objects"; it's just violence for violence's sake.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    This is not a "best of" list (obviously, if Nickelback is included). This is a list of the songs that got played the most on radio over the past 10 years, with all genres included. Yes, a song that got released more recently would have less chance of making that list, but that's not the point. If radio has the age bias that you claim, this list would be full of younger artists (since presumably the older artists wouldn't get played often enough to be on the list at all) - and it's not.
    The list is full of songs released from 2001. Of the artists who are NOT country, at least 3 of them are IN THEIR 20'S!!!!! That leaves only 1 group who was not in their 20's. Really proving your point...
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    She looks great in the video but it's also due in large part to makeup, lighting, digital photo-shopping, etc. Madonna's face in the video looks different than when she's photographed on the red carpet - it's very smoothed out.
    I'm surprised you guys could see her face at all. It's never on the screen long enough to have a good look, and when it is it's so out of focus it's pathetic. That's what one calls filming through a sock.

vCash
    IMO, it's not even as good as Rebecca Black's Friday. Don't luv it.

vCash
    The lip-synching couldn't be any more obvious in Madonna's Super Bowl performance. Great show but...

She might have a concert at the new stadium in Wroclaw this year but I don't think I am willing to spend a huge amount of money to see her lip-synch, regardless of how impressive the staging is.

And performing together with the LFMAO cretins is stooping very low. :/

So did she collaborate with William Orbit, Jellybean, Patrick Leonard, Stephen Bray, Joe Henry, etc. because she was "old" and needed to collaborate with "young, hip artists"?
    None of those are young and hip.

M.I.A. on the other hand totally oozes that. Her new video is just .

Quote Originally Posted by John 3 17 View Post
    Being shot multiple times in the chest by a tommy-gun and then being beheaded with a baseball bat is showing men as "sexual objects"? No... it's gratuitous violence. If one thinks that's "sexual", I don't know what to say
    Being carried by men, walking all over them, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by John 3 17 View Post
    And, imo, if anyone's a "sexual object" in this vid, it's Madge. Shooting and beheading is not making the football players "sexual objects"; it's just violence for violence's sake.
    No it isn't. It's about being in control. And violence and sex are very much intertwined.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 02-06-2012 at 05:04 PM.

vCash
    I hate her new song but I think she did a great job for the halftime performance. It was entertaining, and yeah she was lip-syncing at some points, but she had to do some dancing so that's not surprising. I would never pay $300 to go see her live, but she knows how to put on a good show.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    I would never pay $300 to go see her live, but she knows how to put on a good show.
    Which is why I was glad to have seen her back in 1992 for $30.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    None of those are young and hip.
    They certainly were at the time she worked with them, if you would bother to find out anything about them.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    Madonna's SB show was pretty cool, but - yeh - lip synched. (In her defense, due to technical and time challenges most all are.)

Did you catch RuPaul's tweet to Madonna, pre-Super Bowl?

Madonna, the time has come for U to ...

If you're not a RuPaul's Drag Race viewer, that's the line that comes at the end of every episode.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast