Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I will see your rusty hoot and raise you a rusty hoot, dagnabit!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    You can DEFINITELY have a hit record on pop if you're over 30. You just have to not LOOK like you're over 30. And also make music about what young people are caught up in for the first time in their lives (party, drink, girls and sex, boys and sex, love, drink, party, get high, dance, dance, throw your hands up, etc.).

Enrique Iglesias, Cee Lo, Jay Sean, half of LMFAO, and MIA are all 30+. For sure, it is harder if you're female. MIA is 36, but she still looks like she's in college. Except for "Paper Planes," her music isn't exactly for pop radio either. (Maybe that will change with "Bad Girls" - such a sick video and song.)

I think most young people enjoy a wide variety of music, but pop music is driven by young people wanting to identify with young artists who look like them, talk like them, dress like them, and sing like them (or better/cooler in all of those areas). That's not surprising, is it?

I thought Madonna was a hot mess at the Superbowl. Lip-syncing is an automatic downgrade in my eyes, but it was entertaining and some of us stood up and clapped for her at the end. On the other hand, we were also side-eying some of those dance moves. She looks great for 53 and A+ for effort, but I viewed the whole thing as a celebration of her past work and legacy than a heralding of new popularity.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Just a hoot? Why not a rusty hoot? Come on, BigB, don't be cheap! Give us a rusty hoot, wouldya?!?!
    A rusty hoot!? I've heard of a rusty something or other but I think it was a crude sex term.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    But their dance routines were utterly horrid!!!
    LOL!!! Touche!
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    I heard the new Madonna song on the Top 40 radio station today.

vCash
    In all fairness, I am not a Madonna fan. But a word I never thought I'd use with regard to Madonna is boring.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    A rusty hoot!? I've heard of a rusty something or other but I think it was a crude sex term.
    Are you REALLY going to stand there and tell me you've never heard of a rusty hoot, young man? If Uncle Dick were dead (and thankfully he is not) he'd be scratch spinning in his grave right now.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Flashdance Enhanced
    Pretty in Pink Revised

-- Look: no heels, no heels! (pretend you're watching the Pretty Woman scene: "no hands, no hands").

vCash
    Despite the fact that I don't like her latest stuff, I still felt compelled to make a playlist today of all my favorite Madonna songs from Ray of Light and Music. I was feeling nostalgic for the days when I was 13 and dancing around to Sky fits Heaven. I'm gonna lie and say my dance skills were AWESOME. Oh and for some reason I felt nostalgic for the days when Grishuk and Platov skated to Frozen and Pasha used to mouth the words as they skated...oh god that was good...

vCash
    I have the Madonna Halftime Show on my iPod. I think that her performance on Sunday night was spectacular overall. Yes, she doesn't have a strong voice, but if you want a strong female voice, you don't go to Madonna. I felt that in the parts where she did sing, she did a competent job.

I know that Madonna is considered by many to be the LEAST fundamentally-talented woman in the history of the entertainment business. But think of where she came from:

She's a dancer by training and got into the legitimate music business relatively late in her life (I think she was 25 when her first album came out).

She didn't grow up singing in the Church like Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, and countless other divas. (But then she WAS raised Catholic.)

She wasn't a child prodigy like Michael Jackson or Stevie Wonder.

She didn't have American Idol or Star Search or the Mickey Mouse Club (or similar) to build a platform on like Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudosn, Adam Lambert, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and Justin Timberlake.

She wasn't anyone's protege like Justin Bieber (whose mentor is Usher) and Eminem (whose mentor was Dr. Dre).

She wasn't a girl group member like Diana Ross and Beyonce Knowles and Kelly Rowland.

She didn't have a megastar producer in her corner at the start of her career like a lot of artists had.

She didn't attend a performing arts-based school like Lady GaGa and Adele.

And as far as I know, she didn't grow up in a musical family (or even one that celebrated music) or learn to play an instrument or take voice/songwriting lessons growing up.

In a way, even before she set foot in the music industry, Madonna had more against her than perhaps anyone else before or since. And yet she managed to build a career that has lasted 30 years to date. 12 No. 1 singles, 37 Top 10 singles (38 if "Gimme All Your Luvin" makes it into the Top 10 next week), millions of albums sold, five Grammy Awards, and a strong body of work containing some of the best pop songs of our time. But she's also the most maligned performer of our time, too.

I sometimes feel that if Madonna had, career-wise, followed Michael Jackson's path and vice versa, people would still hate Madonna even if she wrote "Woman in the Mirror" and did the Moonwalk, and people would still love Michael Jackson even if he posed naked on a Los Angeles street wearing sunglasses and having a cigarette in his mouth (like Madonna did in the SEX book).

vCash
    If it makes you feel any better, I like Madonna a hell of a lot more than Michael Jackson. I have never EVER gotten the love for him. Some of his music is great but no better than Madonna's, IMO. Why is he treated like a God? Even before he died.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    If it makes you feel any better, I like Madonna a hell of a lot more than Michael Jackson. I have never EVER gotten the love for him. Some of his music is great but no better than Madonna's, IMO. Why is he treated like a God? Even before he died.
    I agree. I think Madonna has more produced more interesting work overall than Michael Jackson. Of course, Michael Jackson was a great performer, but musically he was always pretty bubble gum and even cheesy (Man in the Mirror, Heal the World, etc.). I especially think Madonna's Ray of Light album had a lot of interesting music and lyrics on it in which I feel she took some risks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDSSF View Post
    I know that Madonna is considered by many to be the LEAST fundamentally-talented woman in the history of the entertainment business. But think of where she came from: [...]
    Madonna had fondamental advantages over most other artists you mentioned: she was borne with the strongest will on earth, she knows how to make the best of things, and she was also borne with an amazing balance.

-- That's why she could compete on beam when Michael Jackson died, and she performs at the Superbowl, biggest problems being the high heels and dubious fashion choices, around the same time talented Witney Houston dies.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDSSF View Post
    In a way, even before she set foot in the music industry, Madonna had more against her than perhaps anyone else before or since. And yet she managed to build a career that has lasted 30 years to date. 12 No. 1 singles, 37 Top 10 singles (38 if "Gimme All Your Luvin" makes it into the Top 10 next week), millions of albums sold, five Grammy Awards, and a strong body of work containing some of the best pop songs of our time. But she's also the most maligned performer of our time, too.

I sometimes feel that if Madonna had, career-wise, followed Michael Jackson's path and vice versa, people would still hate Madonna even if she wrote "Woman in the Mirror" and did the Moonwalk, and people would still love Michael Jackson even if he posed naked on a Los Angeles street wearing sunglasses and having a cigarette in his mouth (like Madonna did in the SEX book).

Of course.

On one hand, Madonna carefully built a career on having people hate her. Mind you: hate her, maligne her, bash her, but never get tired, never lose interest and always wanting more.

Madonna didn't need to be loved, as her goal was to be successful. She also didn't need to be a very talented dancer or singer, as she didn't pursue dance or singing, but success in itself - in whatever form she could grab it.

On the other hand there's a clueless man, permanently in need of approval, that had a troubled childhood and never really grew out of it; who's incredibly talented and yet doesn't seem to be able to gain fulfilment off his talent.

It was a no brainer: the first one was going to be maligned and successful, while the second one was going to be forever loved and prematurely dead.

I'm sorry you don't get Michael Jackson (he was a genious), as I was sorry for myself not sharing the love for Michelle Kwan and YuNa Kim. I guess we both missed out.
    Last edited by loulou; 02-14-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typos, I make a lot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post

I'm sorry you don't get Michael Jackson (he was a genious), as I was sorry for myself not sharing the love for Michelle Kwan and YuNa Kim. I guess we both missed out.
    GASP!
    -Brian

vCash
    GASP!
    What can I do.

-- I know people (even long time coaches that filled important position, if that can be taken as any indication of their professionality) that didn't like Kwan and were afraid to tell.

vCash
    Figure skating, pop music, alcohol of choice...it's all subjective.
    IMO Michael Jackson was one of the most naturally gifted all-around entertainers ever. I think he was as talented as Judy Garland and Sammy Davis Jr, plus he helped write his own songs. But like Judy, he was stuck in a role forced upon him by his parents and he was never able to find his own way.
    Ergh, this is too much before breakfast.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456