The Day the Music Died

February 3, 1959

Buddy Holly
    Ritchie Valens
    The Big Bopper

"you knowwww what ah like!"

Some still remember.

vCash
    I was a little girl at the time but being from Texas I remember everyone loved Buddy Holly. I remember all the big kids crying when it happened. When I grew up & understood music I realized what a genius he was....he was far ahead of his time.

vCash
    Some 50 years ago and the songs are still popular and used in musics. Artists still re-do them. What a shame, he was a very talented young man.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Always seemed an odd expression to me -- their deaths were tragic, but their music lives on long and strong. Definitely "Not Fade Away."

BTW, for anyone who's in Vancouver this July or August, be sure to check out The Buddy Holly Story. I saw it last year and the guy playing Buddy is freakishly like him in both looks and sound.

vCash
    My professor believed: When Buddy died, Chuck Berry was jailed, post military Elvis lost his edge and Little Richard promised God he would preach if he survived a scary flight that rock and roll had died. He respected folk music but could not stand all of the "Fabian" like crooners under the rock banner. Anyway he rejoiced with the Beatles as he believed they saved rock and roll and were influenced by the early masters---particularly Buddy. So he lives on...........

vCash
    Oh, I remember. I was in High School, and the place went into deep mourning at once.

Buddy Holly was brilliant. I saw The Buddy Holly Story in Toronto many years ago. The star was a clone of Buddy, even to his voice. I bought the CD of the London or New York version and it was nothing near as good as the Toronto version. I wonder if it's the same guy?

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    I saw The Buddy Holly Story in Toronto many years ago. The star was a clone of Buddy, even to his voice. I bought the CD of the London or New York version and it was nothing near as good as the Toronto version. I wonder if it's the same guy?
    Zachary Stevenson, who plays Buddy in the Arts Club production, is probably late 20s, so almost certainly not the same guy. The show toured to the Island last fall, keep your eyes open and it might appear again.

vCash
    I forgot about that, RIP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsy View Post
    February 3, 1959

Buddy Holly
    Ritchie Valens
    The Big Bopper

"you knowwww what ah like!"

Some still remember.

I still remember.

vCash
    For anyone who's interested, a while back I found a multi-part documentary about Buddy Holly on YouTube (I think it was split into 10 parts). I haven't watched it in a while, so I can't remember the title, but if you run a search on it you'll find it. The end parts are really hard to watch, because it goes very in-depth into the details of that final tour.

I may run a search on it and watch it again, myself, this weekend.

vCash

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Always seemed an odd expression to me -- their deaths were tragic, but their music lives on long and strong. Definitely "Not Fade Away."

BTW, for anyone who's in Vancouver this July or August, be sure to check out The Buddy Holly Story. I saw it last year and the guy playing Buddy is freakishly like him in both looks and sound.
    I think the expression is referring to the fact that we lost all future music from them - especially Buddy Holly. Who knows what he may have done later.

I saw The Buddy Holly Story in London years ago. People were up dancing in the aisles and, during intermission, WKBW was broadcasting. Everyone, go see it if you have the chance.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I was born in December of that year. I remember wondering what Don McLean was referring to by the line "the day the music died" in the song Miss American Pie when I was kid.

vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Thanks! That's the one!

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Buddy Holly's name was "Holley" - like mine - and the first press release mispelled it so they kept going with the simpler spelling. I can certainly sympathize with that as it happens to me all the time. My first name is my maternal grandparents last name. Buddy is a quite distant cousin according to the family geneological expert. I'm not too sure about that, but I will claim him anyway. Such sweet and lively music!

Unfortunately neither Buddy nor I are ken to the carburator Holleys, although I think Holley Speedwell is connected....

vCash
    While watching the vid that skatesindreams posted, I found another documentary, called "The Last Day" that focuses just on the plane crash and the circumstances surrounding it.

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4

This one features interviews by one of Buddy's older brothers, the Peggy Sue, Waylon Jennings (who had traded that infamous quip with Buddy: "I hope your bus feezes"; "I hope your planes crashes!"), Tommy Allsup (who lost the coin toss with Ritchie Valens for the final seat on the plane), and Carl Bunch, who was Buddy's drummer on that tour, who missed the last concert because he was hospitalized with frostbitten feet after their bus's heater broke down. They also interview the manager and MC of the Surf Ballroom, as well as the owner of the plane - according to the voice-over, it was the first time he ever granted an interview in regards to the plane crash.