Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MissIzzy View Post
    If this goes on much longer fans may have to resort to giving Speedy the Gary Bettman treatment and boo every time he appears in public. Which is arguably disrespectful to the skaters, but on the other hand, the hockey plays don't seem to mind...
    Some of us have been booing him for years - the first time it happened (at quite a loud level) he claimed to
    not understand what it meant....
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    The proposal contained within Article 9, Paragraph 1 of the Provisory Version of the Summary of Proposals For The 54th ISU Ordinary Congress and supported by the Russian Skating Federation, is nothing more than a "trick" invented by Ottavio Cinquanta to remain in his seat until 2016.

Read this Article and my comments on it here.
    Conspiracy theories and discussion are just plain fun.

The proposal is not new. For some time, there have been discussions regarding revision of ISU Congress meeting protocols. No evidence has been presented.that the proposal originated with Mr. Cinquanta, although it is my hope he supports it.

The Figure Skating Federation of Russia clealy states its reasons for proposing such a change in ISU Meeting procedures. The Figure Skating Federation of Russia is faced with a potentially very difficult Winter Olympics, considering the location and socio/political situation in that part of the World. It should not be hard to accept their discomfort of having to deal with a new cast of International Skating Union Officers and Council Members leading up to the Olympics.

You will note that U. S. Figure Skating also supports and proposes the same concept, citing cost savings. Most important, U.S. Figure Skating states that changing the ISU meeting process will reduce the number of rule changes that Federations are forced to deal with each cycle.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    Conspiracy theories and discussion are just plain fun.

The proposal is not new. For some time, there have been discussions regarding revision of ISU Congress meeting protocols. No evidence has been presented.that the proposal originated with Mr. Cinquanta, although it is my hope he supports it.

The Figure Skating Federation of Russia clealy states its reasons for proposing such a change in ISU Meeting procedures. The Figure Skating Federation of Russia is faced with a potentially very difficult Winter Olympics, considering the location and socio/political situation in that part of the World. It should not be hard to accept their discomfort of having to deal with a new cast of International Skating Union Officers and Council Members leading up to the Olympics.

You will note that U. S. Figure Skating also supports and proposes the same concept, citing cost savings. Most important, U.S. Figure Skating states that changing the ISU meeting process will reduce the number of rule changes that Federations are forced to deal with each cycle.
    Sochi Olypic will take place in 2014 February, the ISU congress is usually in June. So the Russian Skating Federation dont have to deal with a new cast if the International Skating Union Officers,as the Olympic is 5 months earlier as the ISU Congress.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    How long has he been in power, anyway?
    1731 or 1732. I'll google it if you need an exact date.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    From Wikipedia
    he has held the ISU position since 1994 and the IOC position since 1996.
    and
    In 2000 he was elected member of the IOC Executive Committee, position that he has held until 2008.

Prior to becoming ISU President he was ISU Vice President and before the Chair of its Technical Committee for Short Track Speed Skating.
    Can't skate but love to watch

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I am a much more trustworthy source than wikipedia.

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MissIzzy View Post
    If this goes on much longer fans may have to resort to giving Speedy the Gary Bettman treatment and boo every time he appears in public. Which is arguably disrespectful to the skaters, but on the other hand, the hockey plays don't seem to mind...
    We've been booing Cinquanta at skating events for years. Invariably, we get looks from some people for doing it, but as soon as we start to list off our reasons for booing him, people agree with us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    It should not be hard to accept their discomfort of having to deal with a new cast of International Skating Union Officers and Council Members leading up to the Olympics.

Actually, it is hard to accept their discomfort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12