vCash

Let's talk about apps...

I've finally got myself that iPad I've been drooling over for so long. But the amount of apps available is HUGE so does anyone have any recommendations or favorite apps?

vCash
    I like basic card games...easy to play during down time. Spades, Spite and Malice, Hearts and Euchre are my favorites.

vCash
    Two words: ANGRY BIRDS

vCash
    If you have any magazine subscriptions, you can usually get a free App for it. I have one for EW and it has some nice added features like movie trailers.

I'm very new to the app world, so I have only downloaded a few apps. Angry Birds (because I heard so much about it. It really is addictive, silly fun). Also all the standard card games. Beyond that, I'm in the same boat as you - still exploring to determine what I'd like.

vCash
    I also love Angry Birds as a time waster. Bejeweled is also mindless fun when stuck in a waiting room or while on hold.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I have one AWSolitaire that has about 18 card games in one app.

I was bored by Angry Birds.

Most of my apps are related to stuff I do elsewhere. Like I have apps for MyFitnessPal, an online food & exercise tracking service, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.

I also bought Pages, an app to create text documents. It's a mobile version of Apple's Pages for the Mac.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head... iPad is at home right now.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    If you travel a lot, TripIt is awesome.
    Words With Friends
    Netflix
    I like NBC Sports Talk (no figure skating coverage, but the major team sports all have dedicated sections.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Here is a thread about iPhone apps -- they have iPad versions of some of them. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...highlight=Apps
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I love having a "read it later" app when I come across a cool article but can't read it at that minute. I use Read It Later but I've also heard Instapaper is very good as well. I just couldn't get it to work on my iPhone.

Plants vs Zombies is SO MUCH FUN on the iPad. You can see all the details in the animation, like the blinking lily pads.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am really addicted to Temple Run. I don't know how well it would translate to the iPad but I know they have it for iPad as I played for a second at the Apple Store. You have to tilt your phone/iPad when playing so I felt (in the 10 seconds I played) that it was much easier on the phone since the iPad requires two hands and is heavier. Still fun, though!

I have also enjoyed iTuneU. You can download free seminars and lectures from leading professors and Universities. They also have stuff for purchase. I recently downloaded an entire seminar on Autism and can not wait to watch all the videos, they also feature powerpoints.

Do you use Redbox? If so I highly recommend the Redbox app. It is a huge time saver because it shows you all the Redbox locations near you and what movies they have. So if I want to go rent a movie I use my app first and I can see where it is available in town before I waste a trip. You can also reserve it through the app but I tried it once and it said it didn't go through when it did and therefore I was double charged. They gave me my money back with no questions but I won't use it to reserve anything again.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Apps are personal, in the sense that the reason there are so many of them is that different people use their electronic gadgets for different things.

I don't play a lot of games (a few), but I use a lot of work/organization apps and some personal interest apps. Like MacMadame, the apps I use are related to things I do.

So I think the answer to "What kind of apps should I get?" has to start with "What do you want your iPad to do?" and you might get better advice.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    For games, I love:

- All the Angry Birds. Right now I'm obsessed with Angry Birds Rio
    - 7 Little Words
    - Shortyz crosswords. It downloads crosswords from multiple sources

For other random apps:
    - Soundhound
    - ZocDoc
    - Yelp
    - WhatsApp
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Hmm well the iPad edition of this app hasn't been released yet but should be soon, and I highly recommend that you sign up for it:
    http://www.readability.com/
    This works for not only mobile devices but also on the computer: Basically it's an add-on to your browser. When you are reading an article, one click on the Readability button and it gets rid of all the ads, sidebars, menu bars, annoying videos etc and leaves you with just the main text that you want to read, expanded to fill a white background. It makes reading on computers/mobile devices so much easier!

vCash
    FB is going to love that app! LOL So far I have only gotten a total of six apps; a recipe app, angry birds, memory, iTunes U, Toronto Library, and Sporting News.

vCash
    For my son:
    • The Monster At the End of This Book (Worth every cent)
    • My Playhouse
    • Teachme: Toddler
    • Teachme: Kindergarten
    • Shape-O ABC's
    • Injini (This app was designed for kids with developmental delays, but it is so good that any kid would benefit. It is not cheap.)
    • Whimsy
    • iwritewords

A few of mine:
    • my fitness pal
    • IMDb Movies
    • Grocery IQ
    • Things
    • Globe and Mail
    • CBC

(I don't play a lot games.)

vCash
    My sister discovered one called Action Movies FX. Where you can take normal everyday clips and blow things up. Both my sisters have been posting clips all over facebook.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Wikipanion - for very random facts. Most bizarre is the first time I used it, it showed me a subject that totally fascinates me.
    Garage band - can't play a musical instrument but it's fun anyhow.
    Cool Escapes - to look at places I can't afford to go.
    Stanza - another book app to go with iBook.
    Brushes and Sketchbook - for those who like to draw.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I forgot to mention all my Weather apps!

I have 4 on my iPhone but only 3 on the iPad: The Weather Channel, AccuWeather, & WeatherBug. If you only want one, I would pick AccuWeather.

For games I have the above mentioned AWSolitaire and also MineSweeper and UHangmanF. The laster two are not very good on iPad. I just haven't bothered to download any others.

I also have the Kindle e-reader so I am not completely dependent on iBooks for Books.

I also have Star Walk because it looked so cool in the iPad commercial but I have never, ever used it!

The rest as I said are connected to other websites I go to or necessary for work.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.