Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    1. Dance - a given as most of you mentioned. Who would have thought that dance would be the US' strongest discipline?

2. Pairs - Forget it! Not gonna happen. Moving on.

3. & 4. - Mens and Ladies I honestly don't know. But I have some thoughts to add to this discussion. Among four US singles' representatives, three of them, Abbott, Rippon, and Ciszny have been considered headcases and/or inconsistent. They have also shown marked improvement in terms of consistency/mental toughness.

Improvement occurred after they moved to Sato/Dunjgen coaching teams. Since all three practice mates go to worlds together, do you think the intangible factors such as having familiar faces and mutual support enable them to perform better? - Those are my biggest question here.

vCash
    Dance - for sure, unless either the Shibutanis or Davis and White have to withdraw for some reason (I hope not). But if the Shibs didn't skate and D&W got 1st or 2nd, the US could still get three spots even if Hubbell and Donahue were 11th or 12th. They probably won't finish quite that high, but wow.

Men - It's a tough call. I could see them finishing 6-7 though, or 5-8 or something like that. I could also see Abbott getting the bronze medal though, which would mean Rippon would only have to be 10th.. he can do that.

Ladies - Kind of the exact same thing as the men.. Alissa could be on the podium (although I really don't think she will be), Ashley can probably manage a top 10, even if Alissa's not on the podium they could do a 6-7 or 5-8 thing.

Pairs - Nope, I think both teams will be in the lower half of the top 10 at best. I can see Marley and Brubaker finishing OUT of the top 10.

vCash
    Based on 4CC's, any new feelings on US chances in Men's and Ladies?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Based on 4CC's, any new feelings on US chances in Men's and Ladies?
    Strong possibility in ladies. If they don't bomb.

Men..I'd say 50/50, and it depends on how well Adam Rippon skates. I think Abbott will skate well.

vCash
    Ladies- nope, not really. Sorry...

I will say this, however- the question of whether the international judges would take Wagner seriously/give her fair scores has been answered, and it is a resounding YES. They put her above a strong Asada.

But then the questions become- Has Wagner peaked? Undoubtedly expectations of her will go up- can she handle them? And after what happened last year with Flatt- can she stay healthy/fit enough?

And don't forget Czisny too. She hasn't been doing well this season but barring a meltdown she *should* be able to stay in the top 10. Of course, if BOTH ladies can skate near or at their best, 3 spots should be all but a given- but keeping history in mind, how likely is that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    But then the questions become- Has Wagner peaked?
    Absolutely not. She had one mistake in the SP at 4CCs (2footing the 3/3 combo), and in the FS, she can add the 3T after the 2A. There's definitely room for improvement for her in Nice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Absolutely not. She had one mistake in the SP at 4CCs (2footing the 3/3 combo), and in the FS, she can add the 3T after the 2A. There's definitely room for improvement for her in Nice.
    I think that is critical for a great performance from Ashley at Worlds: Almost at her best at the previous comp, but with room to improve

Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Ladies- nope, not really. Sorry...

I will say this, however- the question of whether the international judges would take Wagner seriously/give her fair scores has been answered, and it is a resounding YES. They put her above a strong Asada.

But then the questions become- Has Wagner peaked? Undoubtedly expectations of her will go up- can she handle them? And after what happened last year with Flatt- can she stay healthy/fit enough?

And don't forget Czisny too. She hasn't been doing well this season but barring a meltdown she *should* be able to stay in the top 10. Of course, if BOTH ladies can skate near or at their best, 3 spots should be all but a given- but keeping history in mind, how likely is that?
    You seem pessimistic, but do you think Ashley will cave under the new pressure being built around her, and Alissa will also bomb at the same comp? On the contrary, after 4CC's, I think Ashley will build (per my post above) and Alissa will get motivated after watching 4CC's in the stands. Maybe if Alissa sees that a strong Mao can be beaten by her teammate, it will breathe new life into her skating (she has said in past interviews she is competitive) and she may not feel the pressure of being the standard bearer anymore - She and Ashley can share that between the two of them.
    Last edited by olympic; 02-14-2012 at 06:32 PM.

vCash
    Even MORE critical IMHO is a solid performance from Czisny. Wagner has at least shown SOME consistency unlike the latter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Actually Wagner's 2footing was not penalized at all (+0.2GOE). I doubt the worlds judges could be that generous. There are 11 Euro judges and 2 Asian (CHN JPN) at the judge panel for ladies. Most of them will take Kostner's side. Wagner is now considered to be a "threat" for them. It's not so difficult to throw her out of the final flight with that same SP (if they want).
    Last edited by NMURA; 02-15-2012 at 09:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Actually Wagner's 2footing was not penalized at all (+0.2GOE). I doubt the worlds judges could be that generous. There are 11 Euro judges and 2 Asian (CHN JPN) at the judge panel for ladies. Most of them will take Kostner's side. Wagner is now considered to be a "threat" for them. It's not so difficult to throw her out of the final flight with that same SP (if they want).
    I have confidence that the lack of a penalty doesn't mean that she isn't going to keep working on the two-footing problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I have confidence that the lack of a penalty doesn't mean that she isn't going to keep working on the two-footing problem.
    Usually a 2footing means the lack of rotational ability. I don't think Wagner can land a clean 3-3. If she tries to avoid 2footing, probably UR is inevitable. A 3F-3T with minus GOE (-1) will not give any advantage againt those 3T-3T jumpers (Leonova, Korpi, Makarova, Murakami, Suzuki). Czisny can place high with her strengh in the spins. I think Kostner and Asada are lock for the final flight. Seven skaters will vie for the remaining four spots. That's a tough case for Wagner.

vCash
    ^ I take the opposite view. I think Ashley is building and gaining more confidence. I also think the 2-footing will subside with time as she gets used to her better rotations she's achieved with John Nicks. She has already made strides between Nats and 4CC's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    ^ I take the opposite view. I think Ashley is building and gaining more confidence. I also think the 2-footing will subside with time as she gets used to her better rotations she's achieved with John Nicks. She has already made strides between Nats and 4CC's
    I agree, I think Mr. Nicks is pacing her to peak at Worlds. I'm more worried that there is a month until worlds and a month for her to psych herself out.

vCash
    After 4CC, I've become optimistic about the ladies actually getting a third spot. Even against the crazy Russian girls and Kostner, Alissa and Ashley should be able to do it. I've never been much of a Wagner fan myself, but if the judges like her, I say go for gold!
    As for the men, I really really want Jer and Adam to kick butt and there's no doubt in my mind that Jeremy can score high enough to be in the top flight since his SP is well liked by the judges and his LP has potential and solid improvement, but Adam's 4CC performance/scores concern me somewhat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123