Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I am also very angry with Eurosport for neglecting figure sksting! What annoys me most is that they preferred AFRICAN CHAMPIONSHIPS to European ones. As a European TV channel, they are supposed to give priority to European events. To some extent I can understand that they did not show the gala live, the tennis match was really epic, but they could have shown a recorded version of the gala. Thanks for the e-mail address, I'll e-mail them as well to express my disappointment.

vCash
    That they showed African soccer instead of skating is hardly surprising; they do that every time the African Nation's Cup or whatever it's called is on. It happened in 2008 and 2010, too, though I'll allow that the coverage this year was even worse.

I still think moving Euros to early February would solve the problem nicely

vCash
    Over the last few years, Eurosport has shown a total lack of commitment to figure skating. Hence, the answer is not to complain to Eurosport, but to complain to the ISU requesting that they stop selling the rights to Eurosport and to find more reliable broadcasters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dred View Post
    Over the last few years, Eurosport has shown a total lack of commitment to figure skating. Hence, the answer is not to complain to Eurosport, but to complain to the ISU requesting that they stop selling the rights to Eurosport and to find more reliable broadcasters.
    The problem with that might be, that in some countries there won't be broadcasters willing to air it. I think the solution might be ISU allowing to buy an access to online coverage to anyone who wants it, not just to people in countries where they did not sell TV rights.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laney View Post
    I wrote the email to info@eurosport.com So if more people are writing, maybe we´ll be successful and/or they understand that it really was very bad coverage. ...
    I made the experience two years or so ago that they react if people write to them. If a lot of us write to them complaining that they did not present Europeans properly, the coverage of Worlds might be better.

vCash
    but to complain to the ISU requesting that they stop selling the rights to Eurosport and to find more reliable broadcasters.
    I think the solution might be ISU allowing to buy an access to online coverage to anyone who wants it, not just to people in countries where they did not sell TV rights.
    I think it is stupid to sell rights and then the broadcaster decides NOT to show it AND THEN to not allow those countries to get access to the ISU stream. I know in Mexico the stream works

Afterall nobody saw the skating...

vCash
    I will say this once more : the more you complain, the less they'll want to broadcast figure skating. They'll go back to sports where noone has anything to say about their coverage.
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morelli View Post
    The other grumble against them showing the Grand prix instead is that you are seeing the same top skaters numerous times instead of seeing interesting programmes and skaters that don't reach the top 5.
    They shouldn't even equate the two, IMO. The Grand Prix being shown this year was great, but Europeans is a major championship!

I am sure with other winter sports, they still show the whole thing rather than the top few, and I'd love to know how many people in Europe actually got up to watch African Nations football this morning.
    My fiance is a huge football fan and he hasn't bothered to watch any of it at all. I'd be interested to know what their ratings are.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Still, I wonder if it might not be more effective to lobby the ISU to have Euros in early February. This would not be unprecedented (IIRC, the most recent February Euros were in 2004) and there would be fewer scheduling conflicts.
    If it was moved to early Feb it would be too close to the Olympics in those years and half the contenders might not compete because of that reason. Plus it'd be a shorter time between Euros and Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Morelli View Post
    This is why I don't want to watch on-line. I make a DVD each year of favourite programmes and have been doing since 1982 (was video back then!). And the best programmes aren't always the top skaters. My favourite dance this year was from the Azerbajan couple down in about 10th place.
    I loved that one too - fortunately it was shown on the BBC red button! Never in a million years did I think that the BBC would show more than Eurosport. It's a shame though that Kim Lucine from Monaco didn't get shown in the ES coverage - he was awesome

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icenut84 View Post
    I loved that one too - fortunately it was shown on the BBC red button! Never in a million years did I think that the BBC would show more than Eurosport. It's a shame though that Kim Lucine from Monaco didn't get shown in the ES coverage - he was awesome
    Kim Lucine was one of my favourites too with his smooth style and cheeky character. The only problem with BBC red button is that you can only record from it if you are there to set it going - you can't do it on timed record. It was a shame not to be able to benefit from the BBC doing such excellent coverage, but I guess being there was some compensation for it. I guess they can only do it when they are the host broadcaster, which I assume they were.

vCash
    I was grateful to watch BBC red button but I much prefer Nicky/Chris on ES.Robin was a bit zzz and not really knowledgeable on dance like Nicky .Sue just kept saying it was enjoyable to watch after every couple

vCash
    I began watching figure skating from 1994, really following the sport I mean. Eurosport used to show the US nationals as well as smaller competitions, I remember watching an Ice Dance only competition there for example with mostly couples I didn't know at all. They showed Skate America, Nations Cup, etc. before they were GP events. You often had just one or two world top skaters and all the other skaters were mostly lower ranked or completely unnknown skaters. And from Worlds and Euros you got full mostly live coverage.

Then a few years later they stopped showing US nationals and less GP events. Eventually there were only Euros, Worlds and the New Years Oberstdorf Gala available, however, always with more or less complete coverage. That was the one thing I always still loved about Eurosport, that they at least showed complete Worlds and Euros.I was happy and surprised to find out they were showing Grand Prix events again just a few years ago.

For some reason they keep changing from showing everything to less to almost nothing. Perhaps it depends on how runs the entire thing. I remember when they began showing less skating in the latter part of the 90s they said that they wanted a more male image and figure skating made them look too feminine, or something like that. I was shocked and remember thinking 'What about skaters like Stojko and Candeloro? What about the many male skating fans (who aren't all gay)?' And what different does any of this make if they have good ratings?

In a different article however they said money was the reason they were showing less skating. It all became too expensive. Who knows what's really going on there. Anyway, I think some time in the near future they'll probably start airing more skating again judging by the way they handled this in the past. I think they'll show everything again in a year or two, keep doing that for about 2-3 years before they being showing less and less skating again.

I watch less skating on Eurosport nowadays. Last Euros I watched a small part of the competition on tv and the rest online. However, what do you do if you don't have a computer or internet for a few weeks or months? Then bye bye to most competitions.
    Last edited by sadya; 02-05-2012 at 09:08 AM.

vCash
    I don't feel we should bash Eurosport too much. The Grand Prix coverage in the autumn was fantastic and completely new, as the last few seasons have only been shown in the States. The only season before this that the Grand prix was shown in Europe, it wasn't shown in the States! This is the first season for many years that it has been shown in both. I don't think that they have reduced their coverage with the glaring exception of the latest European coverage which was admittedly terrible. here's hoping Worlds will be much better.

It is difficult to think of another broadcaster who could cover it. I don't think there is another channel which is broadcast Europe wide?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12