Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    SAT Math is not that hard. my elder sibling got 800 twice before scores were recentered. Even I the mediocre Math student scored well
    Psh, speak for yourself! I got a 650. That was the absolute best I could do. No way I could get it over 700. I did score a perfect 800 on the writing, though.

Title-less
    vCash
    800 on writing, now that's a score I'm envious of.

vCash
    how to become a factor ? easy

STOP Packaging her into a Mini Yuna because she is NOT.
    hope Orser is listening !

vCash
    It would help if she showed some personality. Maybe then I'd remember a performance.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    she is a very, very shy, quiet girl. i can't imagine performing is easy for her. she's working every day with tracy wilson on the performance quality, on expression, and she's a very hard worker. I think she knows what she needs to do - just her personality prevents her from projecting more than she currently does.

vCash
    Folks (particularly us American fans) seem to be ultra-quick in counting someone out/looking to the next talent if a particular promising skater happens to have a rough season. We have short memories. The Czisny case study and now the Zhang case study is showing that it IS possible to re-emerge and contend once again after being down & out.

The message here is that Gao is still quite young, and the door isn't closed or even closing on her yet. That said, she has to continue to show improvement if she wants to contend. I think she's on the right track- she's finally starting to perform a bit more and isn't as shy as she used to be. Still has a ways to go, however. She has the jumps- if she can get them consistent, that will definitely play in her favor.

vCash
    I think Christina has been/is making gradual improvements in the areas of expression, spins, and posture -- here's her FS from Nationals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ldlLf_CHZc

However, Tango is not the musical style I envision for her... maybe something more playful and quirky next season would bring out her personality more effectively in her skating performance?

Best wishes to her at Junior Worlds this week!

vCash
    Playful/quirky I don't see her pulling off right now. I still think she holds back a bit too much to truly sell such a program the way it would need to be sold to be effective.

vCash
    She prob. will take one year off from school? She has major issue with her posture, her long arms and legs make it look more awkward. She has improved but still a major propblem. Maybe more ballet and dance classes will help. Please, no more tango music for her.

vCash
    I think Christina will be a late bloomer. She's still a bit awkward looking with her long arms and legs...she doesn't seem to have full control over them yet. I think ballet would help to improve her lines, posture and control, and she needs to work on her flexibility as well. Her jumps (sans the 2a) are very solid: good speed, good height, good coverage. She just needs to work on her packaging in terms of choreography and music. Christina doesn't really have a style yet. She'll have to continue to experiment to see what she comes up with and what works.

I think she has a solid foundation to work with. None of her problems are so major that she needs a complete overhaul. She was fighting back from injuries this season so she was less than stellar, but her LP at nationals was really great. It's going to take improvements in her presentation, style and maturity to really push her into that next level of skaters but I wouldn't pull the curtain on her yet. She hasn't tapped into a 1/4th of her potential as a skater and performer...

vCash
    I got a 2400 on the SAT but didn't get into any Ivy Leagues Then again, I hadn't received anything higher than 2200 before taking it, so it was mostly luck..

I hope Christina does well at Jr. Worlds! Her season's only been getting better.

vCash
    I haven't followed her skating closely, but she does seem epoxy-glued to 5th place at U.S. Nationals, and she is at the age when most females hit their technical peak, so I think she needs to change SOMETHING.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Folks (particularly us American fans) seem to be ultra-quick in counting someone out/looking to the next talent if a particular promising skater happens to have a rough season. We have short memories. The Czisny case study and now the Zhang case study is showing that it IS possible to re-emerge and contend once again after being down & out.

The message here is that Gao is still quite young, and the door isn't closed or even closing on her yet. That said, she has to continue to show improvement if she wants to contend. I think she's on the right track- she's finally starting to perform a bit more and isn't as shy as she used to be. Still has a ways to go, however. She has the jumps- if she can get them consistent, that will definitely play in her favor.
    This thread does not imply counting her out. It is asking what she needs to in order to make it to the next level and become a real contender at the U.S level anyway, which thus far she hasnt been able to do for whatever reason. Re-emerging examples would also not be an example of anything for Gao as Czisny and Zhang were former contenders reemerging as ones again. Gao cant have a reemergence as a real contender at this point, as she has as of yet not become one in the first place (except to some extent at the junior level).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12