Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Watching that interview with Pete Carruthers he is an idiot if he thinks the Olympics is where is all started for C&W. They had been moving up the ranks for the last couple seasons before Vancouver. No only that they were one of the favorites heading into Vancouver. If anything there breaKthrough was the 2009 Worlds when they were hosed out of a medal after skating the free dance of the night.

vCash
    Highly irrelevant, but Meryl jinxed my Patriots when she wore the Giants jersey!! I'll take my Superbowl woes somewhere else now, lol.

Actually...that would be a cool rep level (to me at least haha)- "_____ is jinxing the Patriots with Meryl." Now I need to stop thinking about football.

vCash
    Meryl was the only one on the USA World Team to pick the Giants
    http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/...super-contest/
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shsocu View Post
    Meryl was the only one on the USA World Team to pick the Giants
    http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2012/...super-contest/
    Way to go Meryl!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    That interview was equal parts and
    Johnny really saved that interview! Every other word out of Pete's mouth was just awkward. I love them together in interviews though. The fact they're best friends and know pretty much everything about one another shines through. You can tell they have a lot of laughs through the course of their today together.

vCash
    Welcome to FSU jessiebanana! It's great to meet another D&W fan!

vCash
    Hi Jessiebanana! Always good to have another D/W fan on board!
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Absolutely can't wait to see their dances and Adele exhibition number live at 4 Continents!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Way to go Meryl!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
    Johnny really saved that interview!
    I just loved Johnny in it. I love how he basically turned this interview into a chit-chat about hair, ponytails and make up also loved it when he called Charlie "Charles".

Which actually brings up a question - is Charlie's official name Charlie or Charles? I know that American skaters tend to use nicknames instead of their full names (Kimmie Meissner, Johnny himself, Sasha Cohen are only some of the examples), but I could as well imagine someone named Charlie "officially".

Also, any idea why American skaters do so? It seems like they're the only ones in the world to use some kind of "stage names".

vCash
    Charlie has a very common name. There are a lotsa Charles Whites out there. 32,000,000 Google hits

Charlie White is also common, but only 19,700,000 hits. The top owner is a Secretary of State of Indiana who was just convicted of something or other.

However, Charlie White is at least on the Google front page with his name. However, check out the first image for "Charlie White" that google offers:

http://www.themorningnews.org/images...ie_white_1.jpg

It used to be difficult to have an uncommon last name. I think these days it's a mixed blessing. I am one of 3 Doris Pulaskis in the US. People who want to find me can.

vCash
    yeah, makes sense. So his real name is Charles? I gotta say Charlie suits him more (and is easier to pronounce for a foregner )

However, I don't think what you say is the case of all skaters. I can't imagine John Weir or Kimberly Meissner being very popular names.

vCash
    In their era, John & Kimberley were very popular first names.

We tend in the US to get our names in grammar school, if the one our parents give us doesn't stick. When I was a girl, the popular boys' name was Robert, and the popular girl's name was Linda. In my 1st grade class, we had about 8 Roberts and 7 Lindas. Two of the Lindas had the same same initials, and Linda is not a name that has nicknames. Those 2 girls went through that year as LindaSah and LindaSen for part of the last name added to the first. The boys were Robert, Rob, Robby, Bob, Bobby, and I forget the other 3 I think they were Bobby J, Bobby B, and Robby R.

Sometimes those grammar school nicknames stick.
    Last edited by DORISPULASKI; 02-06-2012 at 06:03 PM.

vCash
    Thanks for all the explanations, Doris! I was just curious how this "system" works in the US. Gotta say, I find it kinda cute. I wish people were more creative when it comes to nicknames in my country.

vCash
    Sometimes kids name themselves

My father in law did. His name was Ludwig Simnon Pulaski. When he hit 1st grade (no kindergarten in those days), he told the teacher his name was Louis Pulaski (which he pronounced Louie), and would answer to nothing else-and that remained his name in public, although not on formal paperwork the rest of his life.

Once in a while a nickname acquired in the service sticks. This happened to my husband, whose name is also Ludwig Simnon Pulaski. As a child, his family called him Luddy or Lud. However, people who didn't know him kept taking it for Buddy or Bloody or some such. He ended up using Ski Pulaski--and it has stuck. Ski was the standard nickname for people whose surnames ended in -ski or -sky in the US Coast Guard when he was in it.

My son has always been Ludwig, after a brief spell as Luddy as a child.

In the south, first and middle initials often make up a nickname. It is not just in the movies (John Ross Ewing = JR Ewing, for example). A friend of mine was EK Malone (his real first name was Elba; I don't know why).

So I guess it is what sticks, and what you will put up with.

For whatever reason, I have never had a real nickname. But that's because my name is not common, and it has no recognized short form in any case. My husband has been known to call me Dar, but that's the closest I've ever come to one.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8fun View Post
    Absolutely can't wait to see their dances and Adele exhibition number live at 4 Continents!
    Come say hi if you see me! I'll be in the front row on the judges' side. The Team Canton banner has been officially retired (it has too many valuable signatures on it, so I don't want to carry it anywhere ), but I think we'll have signs for D/W and the Shibs.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming August 7, 2014!****

vCash
    Thank you for welcoming me ! I've been wanting to chime in, but I've waiting for my account to be approved.

Also I'm Jessica, but I go by Jess and Jessie. My boss pretty much only calls me Jessie. Jessica was the most common girl name in the US the year I was born, also I was a tomboy growing up so Jess/Jessie made more sense. I definitely wouldn't consider my nickname a faux name or stage name (if I were a athlete/celebrity).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    yeah, makes sense. So his real name is Charles? I gotta say Charlie suits him more (and is easier to pronounce for a foregner )

However, I don't think what you say is the case of all skaters. I can't imagine John Weir or Kimberly Meissner being very popular names.
    John is definitely very common and Kimberly too at this point. I think with Charlie it may have been the opposite though. Charles and Meryl (along with the Gail/Gayles, Blanches, and what not) were really popular names, but not amongst the age group M/C are in. If you're named Charles now, maybe after your parent or grandparents, you'd probably want to shorten it to make it more youthful and modern. Of course you can't do that with Meryl though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Come say hi if you see me! I'll be in the front row on the judges' side. The Team Canton banner has been officially retired (it has too many valuable signatures on it, so I don't want to carry it anywhere ), but I think we'll have signs for D/W and the Shibs.
    Thanks! I will do that!! I'm in Section 108, Row F, Aisle Seat. Traveling solo to this and looking forward to some downtime without worrying about husband and kids but also looking forward to meeting some fellow skating enthusiasts.

vCash
    I'm I can't go. I was hoping to make it, but it's just not going to happen this year. I'm hoping that SA '12 is somewhere reasonably close and that Meryl and Charlie go.

Thanks in advance for all of the reports!! I just can't believe that it's this week! Wasn't Nats just last week???

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast