Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    I do think D/W's best work is still to come. I am curious if they need to do another "dancey" FD next year. I don't think I've seen anyone truly penalized for being more theatrical than dance-based (for example, I would say P/B's Egyptian FD is more on the theatrical side), but we will find out come Worlds.
    I surely hope they can and will pull off something even better for the Olympic season, nonetheless I think Die Fledermaus could be a worthy Olympic gold winner, that's all I'm saying.

Of course I still hope they will give us another storytelling masterpiece in the style of ER and S&D eventually. I'm getting tired of the dancey programs already. Theatrical and dramatic is good, if not overload. I agree noone seems to be penalized for it, P/B is one example, I/K is another and both teams did just great in FD at the Europeans.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    I surely hope they can and will pull off something even better for the Olympic season, nonetheless I think Die Fledermaus could be a worthy Olympic gold winner, that's all I'm saying.

Of course I still hope they will give us another storytelling masterpiece in the style of ER and S&D eventually. I'm getting tired of the dancey programs already. Theatrical and dramatic is good, if not overload. I agree noone seems to be penalized for it, P/B is one example, I/K is another and both teams did just great in FD at the Europeans.
    Oh, I didn't mean to be disagreeing with your post, I was just musing out loud to no one. Yes, I too want programs like ER and S&D - they feel more emotionally satisfying to me than the pure dance programs Shpilband/Zoueva have put out so far, but that's just my personal preferences in ice dance. I think that if D/W continue to have kick-butt programs, it hopefully won't matter where it sits on the dance-to-theatrical scale as long as it's good.

vCash
    Okay I've watched the SD now several (many) times and I think it was just that the ending was a surprise and I was expecting the music to end as it always has, but I like the ending more now and the music cuts work better than I thought at first. I think they have a winner now and it's a much more pow ending.

Watching the SD competition as a whole, I get a little emotional seeing the depth of US ice dance. So much in the past there just wasn't much depth and we were lucky to have two teams that could really compete internationally. To see teams like H/D and K/G-S and the Shibs, it's amazing how very good they are and yet we still have an even more amazing team in D/W. It makes for a fantastic competition to see several terrific performances.

I know there are some on FSU who moan over the state of ice dance but as for me, I couldn't love it more and I couldn't be more thrilled over what CoP has done for it. It's what I love most about skating.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    just to clarify further, fledermaus is the German word for bat
    Thanks. I read the post suggesting the title in. The other thread when it happened but its not really an explanation.

vCash
    Oh, I didn't mean to be disagreeing with your post, I was just musing out loud to no one. Yes, I too want programs like ER and S&D - they feel more emotionally satisfying to me than the pure dance programs Shpilband/Zoueva have put out so far, but that's just my personal preferences in ice dance. I think that if D/W continue to have kick-butt programs, it hopefully won't matter where it sits on the dance-to-theatrical scale as long as it's good.
    I loved ER!! And S&D. I would say we're due for one of those types of programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    Okay I've watched the SD now several (many) times and I think it was just that the ending was a surprise and I was expecting the music to end as it always has, but I like the ending more now and the music cuts work better than I thought at first. I think they have a winner now and it's a much more pow ending.

Watching the SD competition as a whole, I get a little emotional seeing the depth of US ice dance. So much in the past there just wasn't much depth and we were lucky to have two teams that could really compete internationally. To see teams like H/D and K/G-S and the Shibs, it's amazing how very good they are and yet we still have an even more amazing team in D/W. It makes for a fantastic competition to see several terrific performances.

I know there are some on FSU who moan over the state of ice dance but as for me, I couldn't love it more and I couldn't be more thrilled over what CoP has done for it. It's what I love most about skating.
    What's even more amazing about US Ice Dancing depth is that 3 of the top 6 teams from last year broke up and yet ice dancing is just as strong if not stronger then last year.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    I'm doing a promotion on my blog right now with the prize being an autographed poster of Meryl and Charlie. Obtained while I was in San Jose.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    My two favourite D&W FDs! I love how they tell a story.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post

I was so impressed watching the US nationals dance event this year! I really love C&B and would love to have seen them clinch that spot to Worlds, but there were so many great teams who delivered solid performances. I do wish Tanith had taken more credit for this--I never felt she and Ben got the respect they deserved, and she was so humble when speaking with Andrea about the current state of US ice dance. I can only imagine how much she and Ben inspired younger dance teams, not only in the US but all over the world.

vCash
    I heard that Meryl wore the black dress (my favorite of the two) for their Adele exhibition , so perhaps that little sliver of info will tide us over until video appears. I haven't seen any pictures of the exhibition either, which I find odd.
    thanks! I'm with you, this is my favourite dress for this program. still can't find a vid

vCash
    NBC is going to broadcast the exhibitions on Sat. There should be vids following that.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Been a long time since I started one of these threads.

I heard Marina Klimova was in the stands watching the competition. I wonder if she had a chance to talk to D/W or Igor. I'd love to know her take on them.

Also, some of the questions in that backstage interview could not be phrased any more awkwardly: "Your chemistry on ice...how far does it go?" Handled very well and I do love that Meryl still has bindis lying around to give to Johnny Weir.
    Marina K and her son were at practice on Thursday. The little boy, who's an ice dancer, took a picture with M&C afterward. I was waiting because M&C were in the middle of signing something for me when they busted in (Marina Z was with them), and Marina couldn't figure out how to work the camera on the phone.

I have some photos from the Exhibition. The lighting wasn't great for their program, though, so they're not the greatest. I'm going to post them on my blog in a day or two. Have to get Saturday's pics up first.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Yes, I agree that we are due for another one like these. It occurred to me too that the last few free dances - Phantom of the Opera, the genre of tango (Meryl did pick the Il Postino music), and the La Strada music - all seem to be largely Charlie's ideas. I realize they probably just pick the best idea and not "oh, now it's your turn to pick this year's music" but I would like to see what Meryl could come up with for a FD. Meryl did say S&D was her favorite, so I like her taste.

Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Marina K and her son were at practice on Thursday. The little boy, who's an ice dancer, took a picture with M&C afterward. I was waiting because M&C were in the middle of signing something for me when they busted in (Marina Z was with them), and Marina couldn't figure out how to work the camera on the phone.

I have some photos from the Exhibition. The lighting wasn't great for their program, though, so they're not the greatest. I'm going to post them on my blog in a day or two. Have to get Saturday's pics up first.
    Aww, that's cute to hear about Klimova's son. How interesting that Marina Z. was with her. I'm reminded of all the years many of us (including myself) wished D/W would do a summer bootcamp with Klimova & Ponomarenko, although even now, I am not sure if things like that actually exist.

vCash
    Is the ISU sending a message to not create these storyline programs? They surely seem to be leaning more towards just dancey programs. Even though La Strada never saw the light of day, I think it might have been more dancey since it was not following the movie storyline. Didn't Charlie say that they did not want to confuse the judges? Throw the uplifting rule in the mix and you have all these skaters and coaches trying to stay within the requirements by creating these smiley, happy and dancey programs.
    I want to see some programs with a wider range of emotions. I really like W/P's FD. I hope the ISU does away with this uplifting rule soon and makes antidepressants freely available to its judges.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I thought I read that the "uplifting" FD rule was never passed for this season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Isn't that so funny and at the same time!?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    This article from October seems to suggest it was the case:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

vCash
    It was passed in a slightly different form.

iii) All music including classical music must be cut/edited, orchestrated or arranged in a way that it creates an interesting, colorful, entertaining dance program with different dance moods or a building effect.
    iv) The music must be suitable for the couple's skating skills and technical ability.

Free Dances that do not adhere to these guidelines will be severely penalized

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash

vCash
    "Free Dances that do not adhere to these guidelines will be severely penalized" is meant to strike fear in the hearts and minds of all skaters and coaches

Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Thanks for the awesome report and photos.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast