Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Yes, I too think it's a lot to accomplish in a short time but at least she is headed in the right direction and is aware of the work to be done.
    Yes, I saw that brief interview as well and noted her very quick and straight response. She is certainly cognizant of her current deficiencies / what she needs to have to contend internationally.
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

vCash
    I'll go against the grain and say she should go conservative. Do what she can do clean, don't even try a 3-3, it's inviting downgrades and two-footing.

Asada and Kostner will beat her with even subpar skates. Suzuki is consistently better than her. Korpi, Leonova, Olyesia 1 and Olyesia 2 will like like beat her with half-decent skates, it's a combination of higher quality and more judges' respect. (though probably 2 of these will implode herself out of contention). Someone else like Gede or Murakami also has a decent shot at finishing ahead of her. So I think a medal is highly unlikely. She should instead aim for a clean 5-7th place finish, and hope Oleysia1 brings her least fragile self so the two of them can cobble together 3-spots qualification.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I thought Ashley's Black Swan was supposed to be "edgy". Didn't she say that about her LP earlier in the season? I don't find the current program to be memorable at all. And of course Ashley did the dreaded circling-in-one-place-on-the-toepicks move that every Swan Lake program has.
    I'm still waiting for someone to do the Running Man and Roger Rabbits in a Swan Lake program, or at least a few can-can kicks. I wont hold my breath waiting though.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Ashley's checklist -

1- UR: Good John Nicks has tightened her jumps. This has helped her rotate her jumps and avoid the UR for the most part.

2- 2-footing: Fair The tightening has limited the 2-footing, but hasn't eliminated it. Though IMO, the 3 jumps she 2-footed at Nats in the LP were mostly due to the pressure she (and others) put on herself to finally deliver and finish in the top 2. Also, it was her first 2x-3t this season, so additionally there was probably some uncertainty on that particular element.

3- Pops: Not an issue The pop on the 3sal was a blip in her LP at nats. She attacks and doesn't really ever pull back IMO, won't be an issue going forward.

4- Flutz: poor She won't fix it and probably never will. She and Mr. Nicks should just keep it the way it is and expect the negative GOE. A flutz is still worth a little more than another clean 2x though, right?

I'm very happy she FINALLY got rid of the 3z in the SP. Good strategy!

Now, the elements she might want to tinker with are -

1- SP: 3f-3t in the SP, along with the 3l and 2x. Just go for it! This will boost her SP, where she lags the big ladies by a significant (but not overwhelming)point gap. She was attempting it with worse technique under Priscilla Hill.

2- LP: She already has 7 triples and a 2x, repeating the 3f and 3l. She doesn't need anything additional. She might want to think about moving the 3 jump combo to the 2d half of the program. Additionally, she might want to play with FW and her spins to achieve LV4.

Good, high PCS will only come from international judges if she skates lights-out, forcing them to give it to her

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    I'll go against the grain and say she should go conservative. Do what she can do clean, don't even try a 3-3, it's inviting downgrades and two-footing.

Asada and Kostner will beat her with even subpar skates. Suzuki is consistently better than her. Korpi, Leonova, Olyesia 1 and Olyesia 2 will like like beat her with half-decent skates, it's a combination of higher quality and more judges' respect. (though probably 2 of these will implode herself out of contention). Someone else like Gede or Murakami also has a decent shot at finishing ahead of her. So I think a medal is highly unlikely. She should instead aim for a clean 5-7th place finish, and hope Oleysia1 brings her least fragile self so the two of them can cobble together 3-spots qualification.
    I agree. She should shoot for top 10 & hope Alissa can make the top 3. Thinking she's in medal contention is asking for trouble. She's not. (I would like to be able to eat my words.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I agree. She should shoot for top 10 & hope Alissa can make the top 3. Thinking she's in medal contention is asking for trouble. She's not. (I would like to be able to eat my words.)
    Top 3 is maybe too ambitious for Alissa IMO. She's stagnating a bit and last season she was only 5th despite skating better all season than she has this season (granted, Ando and Kim were at Worlds last season and won't be this time around, but you also have to take into consideration that Suzuki wasn't there and Asada and Murakami both underperformed). I say Alissa aims for top 5 and Ashley top 8. That is more realistic and I think they can definitely manage that if they skate up to their potential.

vCash
    She should shoot for top 10 & hope Alissa can make the top 3. Thinking she's in medal contention is asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Top 3 is maybe too ambitious for Alissa IMO.
    I'm not reading much confidence here. It looks like neither Ashley nor Alissa should try for the podium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Asada and Kostner will beat her with even subpar skates.
    And this is something that should not be happening. If a less known skater has a clean, nice skate with some good elements and interesting program, it should score higher than mediocre skate from a reputable skater. Unfortunately it is not the case, most of the times.

I think such attitude is just wrong. I dont know Ashley, but basing on what I have heard so far about her, she is not going to back off and just skate for a decent 7th place. She will give it all out there. I am sure she is more ambitious than that and that is great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    I'm not reading much confidence here. It looks like neither Ashley nor Alissa should try for the podium.
    Alissa: not much is going to change in her skating, just her mindset. She should focus on skating clean and let what happens happens. Focusing on the podium will only likely psych her out.

Ashley: she is the one talking about changing her programs to rank higher at worlds, but I don't think even she is thinking podium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Top 3 is maybe too ambitious for Alissa IMO. She's stagnating a bit and last season she was only 5th despite skating better all season than she has this season (granted, Ando and Kim were at Worlds last season and won't be this time around, but you also have to take into consideration that Suzuki wasn't there and Asada and Murakami both underperformed). I say Alissa aims for top 5 and Ashley top 8. That is more realistic and I think they can definitely manage that if they skate up to their potential.
    Alissa could medal if she could regain her early 2011 and late 2011 form. I think she could easily beat Suzuki who people are touting as a sure medalist but really has no past credentials that would indicate such confidence and is quite beatable (TBH she has always been vastly overrated on this forum IMHO). If Czisny skated close to clean I dont see Suzuki, Leonova, or Korpi beating her, and nobody knows how Kostner and Asada will skate. I dont think Murakami is even a factor this year.

vCash
    Ashley two foots too many jumps. She might get any with it at Nats but the internationally judges will kill her.

vCash
    I just want Ashley and Alissa to get that elusive 13 or under number so we get that third spot back. Then next year we can send better skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Ashley two foots too many jumps. She might get any with it at Nats but the internationally judges will kill her.

She's always had this issue Which is one reason why she hasn't dome better over the years. If, like at nats, the others just make more mistakes than her, she'll do well. But I see no evidence that the judges simply turned a blind eye. She had terrible goe on all her jumps in the lp. Is wasn't so much that she was held up, but that nats was a splatfeasts IMHO.

vCash
    You know, it's tempting to say Wagner doesn't have a chance at worlds due to her issues...but the thing is that the field at worlds this year is probably more open than ever. I've seen stranger things happen...

That said, I'm not optimistic for 3 spots at all. Czisny is not skating well this season- she's hanging in there only because she is not giving up like she would have in the past, but I think she's getting tentative on the jumps again. And Wagner, well- this whole thread is about how she's unlikely to score high even if she does rise to the occasion. I see them placing lower half of top 10.

Now, if Czisny can somehow pull herself together and skate like she did at nationals or worlds last year, a medal could very well be within reach. Which would mean Wagner would only have to stay in the top 10, but of course that's far easier said than done.

Frankly, I don't seem to have as much confidence in Wagner at worlds as some do here. She hasn't been in 4 years. Can she handle the pressure, the spotlight? And one thing I'm not hearing anyone talk about- she is now champion...people will expect things from her. I don't see any previous indication on her record that says she can deal well with high expectations. In other words- don't be shocked if she has a sub-par showing (again) here...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Frankly, I don't seem to have as much confidence in Wagner at worlds as some do here. She hasn't been in 4 years. Can she handle the pressure, the spotlight? And one thing I'm not hearing anyone talk about- she is now champion...people will expect things from her. I don't see any previous indication on her record that says she can deal well with high expectations. In other words- don't be shocked if she has a sub-par showing (again) here...
    Yes, Ashley hasn't been to worlds in a while but she did live up to her high expectations at Nationals. Maybe now having a big win under her belt she'll have the confidence to shake things up at Worlds. Obviously Four Continents will be a big test for the "new" Ashley.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123