Thread: SAG Awards

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Jessica Lang - No. Lay off the botox.
    Lovely brown and gold sparkley dress ... and BLACK SHOES

vCash
    snip...
    Angelina Jolie - Not sure I like the look. It's a little bit too dramatic & slightly Gothic for my taste.

Regina King - Love her from 227.

Mayim Bialik - Well, she has a PhD so it's Ok that she doesn't know how to dress for the red carpet
    snip...
    Angelina looks downright skeletal nowadays The dress wouldn't have been so bad in a different material, but it looks like either a garbage bag or faux, drapy leather. Either way -- yuck. Regina, who I also loved on 227, looks darn good! Mayim... PhD or not, she was on What Not to Wear and I'm sure Stacy and Clinton were about this It's... unfortunate. I kinda like her short hair, tho.

-Bridget

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John 3 17 View Post
    Mayim... PhD or not, she was on What Not to Wear and I'm sure Stacy and Clinton were about this It's... unfortunate. I kinda like her short hair, tho.
    I think she's somewhat conservative and quite devoted to her religion. Could that be why she doesn't dress with the classic red carpet styles of plunging necklines, dresses slit up the thigh and over the top jewels?

After last night I'm ready to come out of the closet and say I do, not, get the Michelle Williams love. I think she dresses crap at awards shows, and her little headbands and smug interviews make her look childish and stand offish to me. And what's with her latest accessory these days - Busy Philips in a mu mu!

I liked the opening with actors in the audience speaking, but would have liked to see way more celebrity shots - they kept panning to the same people (and a bit nasty that after each win they kept going to all the losers!), but you could see glimpses of others who never made the broadcast, and who sadly did not stop by E's red carpet coverage. Hopefully the online albums and this week's magazines will give us a bit more.

vCash
    Lange ... she cannot be rewarded enough for her unforgettable AHS performance
    Dujardin ... Oscar is surely his.
    Baldwin ... pitch perfect and awesome 100% of the time on 30R

The Best Actress Oscar race.

It's probably now just a two woman race w/Davis and Williams, but I'm not counting Streep out either despite her movie's poor reviews.

vCash
    Wow, the SAG voters really liked The Help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    After last night I'm ready to come out of the closet and say I do, not, get the Michelle Williams love. I think she dresses crap at awards shows, and her little headbands and smug interviews make her look childish and stand offish to me.
    She did an interview in the Today show and she was adorable. I like her a lot. I don't get her style, however.

I'll come out and say that I do not get the Octavia Spencer love. I didn't think there was much to her performance in The Help.

vCash
    I thought The Help was competently acted and made, but it isn't a movie that I plan on ever watching again or using in one of my classes, even when I teach films of the South again in the fall. Viola Davis was the best performance in that film, but she wasn't close to Michelle Williams in my opinion.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I thought The Help was competently acted and made, but it isn't a movie that I plan on ever watching again or using in one of my classes, even when I teach films of the South again in the fall. Viola Davis was the best performance in that film, but she wasn't close to Michelle Williams in my opinion.
    I haven't seen either, but I do think that Hollywood loves a cause, and in their acceptance speeches and interviews, everyone is doing a good job of keeping the cause front and centre for The Help. I have to wonder if all the Hollywood people who employ domestics are patting themselves on the back right now for supporting this movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    She did an interview in the Today show and she was adorable. I like her a lot. I don't get her style, however.
    I have no style myself - my hair lives in a ponytail and I spend far too much time in hockey rinks and on FSU - but I will take credit for the fact that my first cousin is Michelle Williams' stylist (she also dresses Natalie Portman). You may not like the look, but I know that her aim is to not look conventional, which is something I love about her. The color of the dress is fantastic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    I finally saw The Descendants and was pleasantly surprised at how good Clooney was. I'm not much of a fan, but I think that he would've deserved it if he won.

I adored Jean Dujardin in The Artist, though, and I'm rooting for him to win the Oscar.

I agree with you about the actors. I liked the Descendants as a movie better than The Artist.
    Jean D. was better than Clooney, who was actually very good. I think it will be right either way between those two for the best actor Oscar.

vCash
    ....After last night I'm ready to come out of the closet and say I do, not, get the Michelle Williams love. I think she dresses crap at awards shows, and her little headbands and smug interviews make her look childish and stand offish to me. And what's with her latest accessory these days - Busy Philips in a mu mu!

I think that Michelle might be getting Heath Ledger sympathy points. Ever since his death it's as if she can do no wrong. That seems to have changed at tiny bit; at least with the fans. Lately in interviews, she has been using Heath's death to sell her image as the greiving put upon widow and I've seen some begin to criticize her for it. It's all about what she had to go through. I know they have a child together and she would have some feelings about the death of her daughters father but it seems as if she has milked that connection for all it's worth.

ITA with the headbands; IMO her hair is far too short to carry off a headband. It looks silly. It reminds me of the people who put headbands on tiny babygirls.

Angelina may be known for her gorgeous face but her body has never been that great IMO. I thought she looked nice at the Golden Globes but last night she went back to usual Angelina. She's always had the arms of an emaciated 90 year old; bony arms and claw hands. The way the gown hung emphasized it.

Rose Byrne what were you thinking?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    I think that Michelle might be getting Heath Ledger sympathy points.
    I wondered that too, but it's been four years, and they weren't even together at the time of his death. Like you said, that doesn't negate the fact that it had an impact on her and her daughter, but at the time everyone acting like she was a grieving widow when she was actually a grieving ex/mother of his child.

If voters still pity her, I can't see her winning on that basis. She didn't win in 2010, so why now? I'm speaking purely on politics and not actual performances here, but it's looking more and more like it's Viola Davis. Meryl will get a lot of votes of course, but "there's always next time" with her, and I think the days of getting an Oscar for playing someone of the opposite sex have passed - been there done that, even if you are Glenn Close. Haven't heard any buzz on Rooney Mara - sometimes Hollywood likes to award a fresh young face, but I don't think it will be this time.

ETA: Just double checking something in the official rulz. If I'm reading it right, for the nomination process, voting is by members of a particular branch of the academy, which means only actors were part of the process of nominating actors. For the actual award vote though, it's the entire academy. So last night we saw what the *actors* think, but what about all the directors, producers, sound guys, makeup artists, etc?

According to their websites, there are only 6000 members of the Academy, but there are 120,000 SAG members - all eligible to vote apparently.
    Last edited by Jenny; 01-30-2012 at 09:41 PM.

vCash
    I thought Emma Stone was the best dressed. SHe looked fantastic!

vCash
    Meryl will get a lot of votes of course, but "there's always next time" with her,
    I would hate for Streep to have to wait until she gets to be Kathryn Hepburn's "On Golden Pond" age before the Academy awards her with a 3rd Oscar. Streep definitely should be in a league above all the other two-time Oscar winners. I hope she'll win.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I would hate for Streep to have to wait until she gets to be Kathryn Hepburn's "On Golden Pond" age before the Academy awards her with a 3rd Oscar. Streep definitely should be in a league above all the other two-time Oscar winners. I hope she'll win.
    I know! This is her *seventeenth* nom, but her only two wins were in 1979 (supporting) and 1982 (lead) - 30 years ago! I haven't seen all her movies, including Iron Lady, but I think she was absolutely brilliant in Devil Wears Prada and Julie and Julia in particular. I would love her to win this year.

It's Viola Davis' second nom - last was for Doubt, for which Meryl was also nominated.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    The problem with Streep is that she makes it look too easy! She's 100% fantastic in everything she does ... it's hard to distinguish one award-worthy performance from another.

Based on an objective comparison, I think Streep is more deserving of the award, but Davis was pretty great in her own way, and I certainly understand the political motivations behind giving her the nod.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    Actor in a Supporting Role - Christopher Plummer (Oscar favorite)
    I'm very, very happy about this. It's amazing to me that he's never won an Oscar, and only ever been nominated once before! (But then, arguably his best work has been on stage ...)

vCash
    I think she's somewhat conservative and quite devoted to her religion. Could that be why she doesn't dress with the classic red carpet styles of plunging necklines, dresses slit up the thigh and over the top jewels?
    A fab dress does not need to be cut down to there or cut up to there. Just a dress that FITS. This one was frumpy, esp. the bodice. I missed most of the WNTW show she did, but I'm sure Stacy & Clinton took into account her modesty while still teaching her fit, fit, fit.

-Bridget

vCash
    I know! This is her *seventeenth* nom, but her only two wins were in 1979 (supporting) and 1982 (lead) - 30 years ago! I haven't seen all her movies, including Iron Lady, but I think she was absolutely brilliant in Devil Wears Prada and Julie and Julia in particular. I would love her to win this year.

It's Viola Davis' second nom - last was for Doubt, for which Meryl was also nominated.
    She was brilliant in many other movies too, but the Oscar always went to someone else.

Examples: The French Lt's woman, Out of Africa, Silkwood, Doubt, and I am forgetting the one word title of a movie about 4-5 years ago where she got the supporting actress nom. She was brilliant in both 'Devil' and 'Julia'. She should have won 4 Oscars by now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    She was brilliant in many other movies too, but the Oscar always went to someone else.

Examples: The French Lt's woman, Out of Africa, Silkwood, Doubt, and I am forgetting the one word title of a movie about 4-5 years ago where she got the supporting actress nom. She was brilliant in both 'Devil' and 'Julia'. She should have won 4 Oscars by now.
    Adaptation? She was fantastic there and IMO should've won. And she should've won for Julie and Julia. I can't believe Sandra Bullock won.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast