Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    This icenetwork article says he is 5'11" http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news. On his skater bio he is listed as 5'8", and on his isu bio the same (173 cm). If he has in fact grown 3 inches since last season that could definitely throw his timing off, especially because his jumps were never really "big" to begin with (he has good technique and they cover a lot of distance, but don't go UP as much as some of the other men's). He also looks broader/stronger through the upper body this season to me.
    Really? 5-11? I thought Brian Boitano was that tall and Ricky doesn't look anywhere near Brian's height.

IA about his physically 'bigger look'. At first, I thought it might be the change in costuming from the frumpy Sherlock Holmes garb to the sleeker cowboy outfit that was making him look bigger

Anyway, he is going to be 21 this year. I assumed he's stopped growing so hopefully he can work through it. I really like him!

vCash
    Frumpy? Au contraire, I thought the Sherlock costume was very elegant.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Frumpy? Au contraire, I thought the Sherlock costume was very elegant.
    errr. I think I used the wrong adjective. The 3-piece Sherlock Suit wasn't frumpy, but it made him look to me like he was even smaller than he was, for whatever reason. The black sleek cowboy get-up made him look bigger I guess because it was tighter? But if his height is taller than 5-8, maybe he did grow.

Whatever it was, I want to see a rebound!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Really? 5-11? I thought Brian Boitano was that tall and Ricky doesn't look anywhere near Brian's height.

IA about his physically 'bigger look'. At first, I thought it might be the change in costuming from the frumpy Sherlock Holmes garb to the sleeker cowboy outfit that was making him look bigger

Anyway, he is going to be 21 this year. I assumed he's stopped growing so hopefully he can work through it. I really like him!
    Well I didn't think he looked 5'11" either but I was looking on his twitter and the day the article was released he tweeted:

Richard Dornbush ‏ @RichardDornbush
    Cool article a quick side not though, I am not 5'11" #SmallMistake #Puns web.icenetwork.com/news/article.j…

So I guess that was a mistake on icenetwork and the hashtag would make it appear he isn't close to 5'11", so he's probably 5'8" still. At 20 it would be unusual to be growing taller still but filling out would be normal. My guess is that most of his problems this season were mental, not only was it his first senior season but there was a lot of pressure on him to carry the US men this season after winning the JGPF with that huge score, coming in 2nd at Nats, placing the highest of all the men at Worlds. And at the time Jeremy and Adam were both really struggling, Bradley retired and no one really expected much out of Ross. The combination of maturing into ones body and dealing with pressure is enough to throw even the toughest off their game....look at Sotnikova. I think Ricky will be back.

vCash
    ^^ So, perhaps Ricky has been dealing with growing pains in addition to other pressures. I look forward to seeing what approach he and his coach will take for the new season. Ricky is an excellent skater, not to be counted out. Like Dick Button has said, "Everyone has to go through bad performances." It comes with the territory. Keep your head up and your "eyes on the prize" Richard.

Wishing all the U.S. men the best of luck. The field is so deep and these guys are so talented. They all need more opportunities to grow and to shine.

ETA--
    ...no one really expected much out of Ross...
    Really? I've always enjoyed Ross, and if you look at his skating and his results, you will see that he is a strong and consistent skater overall. Good strategy for Ross and his coaches to retain his sp from last season and work on making an impact with his fp. In fact, Ross skated better in the sp than Richard at last year's Nats too. I also felt there was not a huge difference between the quality of both Ross' and Richard's performances at Worlds last season. Of course, Richard made a stronger overall impact with his Sherlock Holmes fp, but I don't think a lot separates the talents of these two.

In regard to Ross and Adam, I think Adam is clearly better in artistry and presentation (should not be as close as the judges' marks for PCS at 4CC would indicate). Ross however does appear at this point to be more consistent and confident than Richard and Adam. Obviously, they all have areas to improve on.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-25-2012 at 05:57 AM.

vCash
    Dbl post --

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ So, perhaps Ricky has been dealing with growing pains in addition to other pressures. I look forward to seeing what approach he and his coach will take for the new season. Ricky is an excellent skater, not to be counted out. Like Dick Button has said, "Everyone has to go through bad performances." It comes with the territory. Keep your head up and your "eyes on the prize" Richard.

Wishing all the U.S. men the best of luck. The field is so deep and these guys are so talented. They all need more opportunities to grow and to shine.

ETA--

Really? I've always enjoyed Ross, and if you look at his skating and his results, you will see that he is a strong and consistent skater overall. Good strategy for Ross and his coaches to retain his sp from last season and work on making an impact with his fp. In fact, Ross skated better in the sp than Richard at last year's Nats too. I also felt there was not a huge difference between the quality of both Ross' and Richard's performances at Worlds last season. Of course, Richard made a stronger overall impact with his Sherlock Holmes fp, but I don't think a lot separates the talents of these two.

In regard to Ross and Adam, I think Adam is clearly better in artistry and presentation (should not be as close as the judges' marks for PCS at 4CC would indicate). Ross however does appear at this point to be more consistent and confident than Richard and Adam. Obviously, they all have areas to improve on.
    I think you make some points. And I agree Ross is a strong skater, I was more just referring to when after Nationals last season, there was talk about him not even making it out of the QR or SP by some posters, which I thought was completely ridiculous, but some seemed convinced that his bronze at nationals was a fluke. He did a good job at Worlds and this season showing the naysayers that they were wrong and he really is the real deal.

I agree that Adam is more elegant, but I sort of understand why he and Ross get comparable PCS internationally, for as beautiful a skater as Adam is, he has a tendency to skate a bit tentatively and stalk his jumps. Ross is not nearly as lyrical and does not have the same extension and sensitivity to the music that Rippon has, but he is always attacking, skates with speed, and doesn't ever seem to hold back, and I think those things help his PCS. If Adam could start attacking more I'm sure he'd PCS would improve so long as he lands the jumps.

Ricky is probably just tired from the grueling season and needs some time to rest and regroup. From what I can tell on his twitter, he seems to be in good spirits. I believe he will be back next season and have some fight in him. Maybe he can get the quad consistent in the offseason as well. He probably felt a little guilty when he got named to 4CC over Armin, and then really psyched himself out there, knowing he was expected to deliver to prove Nationals had been a fluke, but then between competing right after nats and at a high altitude and dealing with all the pressure/disappointment/talk it was just too much, and he got distracted, explaining the uncharacteristic bomb.

vCash
    ^^ You make great points too, pinky166. I particularly enjoyed reading your assessment of why Ross receives PCS on a par with Adam internationally.

Wishing the best for Ricky and all the men in the new season. USFS needs to make up the 4CC snub to Armin. However, Armin should just shake it off and concentrate on continuing to improve for next season, just as Ricky needs to set his sights on coming back strong.

Oh, but first there is Jr. Worlds, and Worlds to look forward to this season.

vCash
    I wonder why USFS didn't send Armin to the Challenge Cup? Idk if he has interest in going but you'd think they'd at least offer it to him as a consolation prize considering other US entrants are going.

vCash
    I like Ricky Dornbush and I think he is quite cute. I hope he gets more confidence and skates to gold at next years Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Oh no! When all else fails, blame the coach??? Seriously, I don't know enough about Tammy Gambill and her coaching skills and her relationship with Richard, but I definitely would not presume to suggest that Ricky's problems this season mean he needs to switch coaches. When everything is peachy keen, the view is "What a great team they make," "What a wonderful relationship they have." As soon as the skater runs into problems with subpar performances, "Boy, that coach has got to go!" And, jeez, in the process of throwing Tammy out with the baby and the bath water, why cast negative aspersions on Priscilla Hill?!!!

Again, what do I know? -- However, as I mentioned previously, perhaps it has been the pressure of coming back this season being touted as "a top U.S. men's skater" and also the difficulties of training the quad which may have thrown off Ricky's rhythm and confidence on all of his jumps.

Looking on the bright side, I wish Richard and Tammy lots of good luck and a fresh perspective that will lead to renewed success. To Tammy's credit, she has additional young talent in junior skater, Philip Warren, who performed quite well at Nats winning the bronze medal in the Junior Men's event.
    Why cant a skater just have a bad season? Do you guys think it's easy to step into those shoes as a national champion? An artist? To match or surpass what he did in 2011? He's gotta learn that. Everything cant be explained and sometimes, a skater is just learning how to be who they now are. Chill...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    Why cant a skater just have a bad season? Do you guys think it's easy to step into those shoes as a national champion? An artist? To match or surpass what he did in 2011? He's gotta learn that. Everything cant be explained and sometimes, a skater is just learning how to be who they now are. Chill...
    Well, this is true. I mean, everyone falls and has rough days. But what happened to him in his nationals SP and in both programs at 4CC...all those pops, that's not just having an "off night". It speaks to a bigger problem. Most likely, this issue is psychological as Ricky never mentioned being injured and as we saw in his nationals FS, he CAN do all the elements in his programs. His GP events were not concerning, he maybe didn't fair as well as some hoped, but he skated respectably. But then again, he didn't really have much on the line/to prove at his GPs but definitely did at nats/4CC. I personally am not too concerned, the kid was a 2nd tier skater competing on the junior ranks with no real hype just last season, then he came out of nowhere to win the JGPF in landslide fashion and win silver at US Nationals and make the top 10 at Worlds. Boom, pressure, and lots of it. It's a new experience so it's not that surprising he freaked out a bit. In the period of a few months he went from being just another junior skater with potential to being one of the top senior men in the US and a prime olympic hopeful with everyone's eyes on him. I'd freak out too if I were in that situation.

Also, JWe mentioned this when Keegan skated his free at Nats, but it's tough when the audience likes you, because you feel more pressure to deliver for them, to have them keep liking you and show off your unique traits that make them smile. Ricky definitely has a lot of fans because he's silly, cute, and has fun programs. And further he's one of the top skaters in the nation but still seems to be like a normal kid, no diva attitude happening there. The audience buys right into it, and so that's added pressure on top of the pressure he already had after all his accomplishments last season, and then at 4CC there was the addition pressure of proving he was the right pick.

vCash
    I wonder why USFS didn't send Armin to the Challenge Cup? Idk if he has interest in going but you'd think they'd at least offer it to him as a consolation prize considering other US entrants are going.
    I thought of that, too.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Challenge Cup wouldn't count for a Season Best score, and that's what Mahbanoozadeh needed to improve on for next season (he's currently #38 on the SB list).

Abbott and Czisny are going to Challenge Cup as preparation for Worlds; normally these spring internationals are for developmental purposes only -- for skaters who have yet to compete internationally and are JGP age-eligible next season.

Note to stevlin: I've searched youtube for Dornbush's Nationals and 4CC programs but haven't found anything, sorry.

vCash

Hi Sylvia

Thank you Sylvia for looking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12