vCash

Canadian that was beaten in Mexico....

Any thoughts on the story of the lady that was found beaten in an elevator at a Mexican resort?

The police say they found the culprit, but when I read his story, it seemed completely ridiculous and impossible.

Methinks there's some major cover up happening here, and that this guy is a fall guy or something - being used to appease Canadian tourists who are more and more hesitant to travel to the country..

Thoughts? Is anyone else finding this whole story bizarre?

vCash
    This is the first I've heard of this: Do you have a link?

vCash
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    She returned home and hopefully will make a full recovery.

vCash
    I think if I already had a trip booked to Mexico I'd probably still go, but otherwise there are just too many attacks lately for me to consider it. A friend just got back from a week at a resort but her friends thought she was crazy to go.

vCash
    When they said this guy admitted to doing it, I felt skepticism as well. I wish Mexican police would release the video tape publically (it's against their law), or at least a still picture of the perpetrator.

While I would prefer, for her sake, for her to forget the actual beating, I would feel more confident in this guy's guilt if she could accurately identify him. I do NOT put it past Mexican authorities to grab some guy and make him be the fall guy just to assure people it's safe to travel there. There's a lot at stake here.

I mean, he said he saw a naked woman in the elevator and then just decided to beat her up? What?

vCash
    CTV late evening newscast last night had a video of this "capturered" Mexican not only paraded in front of assembled video cameras and reporters but actually holding a press conference and admitting his actions and the sequence they occured!!!! While watching this report...all I could hear was defence lawyers around the World screaming "SHUT UP!!!" Certainly does not seem credible to me...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
    I think if I already had a trip booked to Mexico I'd probably still go, but otherwise there are just too many attacks lately for me to consider it. A friend just got back from a week at a resort but her friends thought she was crazy to go.
    Our Hispanic associate pastor is from Mexico, he returned to Mexico to see his mother and other family members last September.. When he got back he said he would not recommend travel to Mexico for anyone.
    I don't know that I would cancel a vacation, but I would probably think hard and long about it and would spend sometime with Ruben finding out what he thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post

I mean, he said he saw a naked woman in the elevator and then just decided to beat her up? What?
    The whole story sounds bizarre.

Here's an article that was in our local CBC site:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...-saturday.html

vCash
    On the Toronto news they said this is the 2nd beating at that hotel. They interviewed another Canadian couple where the man was beating up and left in a coma. He woke up and is back here but doesn't remember anything about the beating.

vCash
    Mexico is beginning to advertise to the BRIC countries to make up for the falling numbers from NA. Apparently they spend more and are not put out by the high crime rate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fsfann View Post
    Methinks there's some major cover up happening here, and that this guy is a fall guy or something - being used to appease Canadian tourists who are more and more hesitant to travel to the country..
    I read something to that effect - it suggested that the guy agreed to take the fall and would get off easily once all the buzz died down. He sure is being way too forthcoming.

I also read that a Canadian's chance of being victim to a homicide attack is greater in Canada than Mexico, even with the recent spike in attacks in Mexico.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I also read that a Canadian's chance of being victim to a homicide attack is greater in Canada than Mexico, even with the recent spike in attacks in Mexico.
    Yes, but statistics like that are so easily manipulated. You're at a higher risk of being killed in your home country because you're significantly more likely to be killed by someone you know, and more often than not, someone from your own family. Given that, it stands to reason that you're less likely to be killed by a stranger abroad.

That said, I think you're at a higher risk of being assaulted, robbed or being caught in the crossfire of other peoples' problems in Mexico than in Canada. It's not the most dangerous place I've visited, but nor is it the safest...
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Yes, but statistics like that are so easily manipulated. You're at a higher risk of being killed in your home country because you're significantly more likely to be killed by someone you know, and more often than not, someone from your own family. Given that, it stands to reason that you're less likely to be killed by a stranger abroad.
    Plus the amount of time you're at home versus being away. Kind of like that statistic that says you're more likely to be in a car accident within 25 miles of home - well, duh. Most people's daily driving is within that distance.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I do NOT put it past Mexican authorities to grab some guy and make him be the fall guy just to assure people it's safe to travel there. There's a lot at stake here.
    Welcome to the Mexican justice system. A system where criminals, suspects and fall guys are paraded in front of the media in an effort to appease a fed up Mexican public.

vCash
    http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2.../19318081.html

I guess he was forced to confess......

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I do NOT put it past Mexican authorities to grab some guy and make him be the fall guy just to assure people it's safe to travel there. There's a lot at stake here.
    I don't put it past the authorities anywhere - including in Canada.

There have been several well documented cases in my area of a rush to judgment that has resulted in wrongful conviction. To often, justice and careful police work is sacrificed due to public pressure to find the culprit and get him off the streets, and for authorities to protect (or restore) the public's faith in them.

This smacks of that to me. It's possible this guy is involved, but there is clearly more to this story.

They say there's videotape of the elevator, so in theory authorities should know when and where the victim got on the elevator, when the attacker joined her, and if she was indeed naked (which in itself is really odd). I haven't seen any reference to authorities attempting to interview the victim (the wagons have circled around her since she got back to Canada - even the uncle who originally spoke for the family was surprised to hear she was back - and I haven't heard what her current condition is), or her husband, who surely would have some insights into events leading up to the crime. And who is this mysterious "John" - the attacker's drinking buddy who is apparently a Canadian living in Mexico?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fsfann View Post
    http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2.../19318081.html

I guess he was forced to confess......
    According to that link, he was forced to sign a confession that apparently says he intended to kill her. He is still saying that he hit her, but that he never intended to kill her.

It all still seems fishy, but he hasn't said (yet) that he was forced to confess to his entire involvement, just the degree of intent.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    That said, I think you're at a higher risk of being assaulted, robbed or being caught in the crossfire of other peoples' problems in Mexico than in Canada. It's not the most dangerous place I've visited, but nor is it the safest...
    I don't know how it compares to Canada but Mexico is definitely less safe than some other countries you could go to. The state department has put out travel advisories for Mexico in general and certain cities in specific for US citizens.

Here's the whole thing:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_5440.html
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.