Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Thanks, IceAlisa for both of those posts with the interview snippets.

It was good to hear from both Mirai and her coach (and possibly Evan) as opposed to reading all of the negative comments and speculation.

Part of being 18 is about figuring it all out.....just because you're 18 and you're an "adult" doesn't mean the light automatically goes on and you instantly have all of the answers.

There is a big difference in winning the national title at 14, when you are completely unaware of the pressure and expectations, and being 18 and having people who mean so much to you put an unbelieveable amount of pressure on you to perform and to also have to deal with the expectations that you have for yourself. That is a lot to deal with, I don't care how old you are. I mean, really, how many of you had it all together when you were 18?

It's really easy for us to sit at home with remotes in our hands and to speculate as to why this is or why that is, and some of us even pretend to be psychics and mind readers....Why doesn't everybody give Mirai and her team a chance to reflect back on the performances (that were just a few days ago) and see if in the near someone might tell us something significant.....and then you can jump all over it with our opinions about whether or not she should skate or retire or go to the beach or whatever the hell.

Lots of performers have anxiety, stage fright, panic attacks, and all of that. I remember Mirai's last nationals when she was still with Charlene Wong and she was absolutely terrified to get onto the ice. I'll never forget it because I had never seen it before in a skater and it was really sad to watch. If that is indeed the problem, it does take time to work through those kinds of issues, and for an emotional person it's going to be even more challenging. But that's my personal opinion.....I'm not going to try to guess as to what the real problem. But I'm more disturbed by some of the posts on this thread than I am with Mirai's performance. But I shouldn't be surprised.....Alissa and Caroline have gotten their acts together for the most part. People should be, if they aren't already, tired of whipping on poor Rachael, so I guess Mirai is the next best target for.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    In San Jose Rudy galindo not only responded to his name being called, but actually broke character to wave to someone in the stands, all while giving one of the most beloved performances of all time.
    I don't know if you noticed, but Mirai is not Rudy Galindo. It may have worked for him and didn't disturb his focus. Mirai's focus does seem fragile, OTOH especially when taken in context with what was observed at Nationals and the articles.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Banned Member
    vCash
    Mirai is going in the wrong direction. Simply not improving and all you have to do is look at the skating performance to see this.

vCash
    From what I have read about Mirai I get a sense that she has very similiar personality as I do, paired with rather stright upbringing. Not a good combination...

But best luck for Mirai for sorting her problems out! It is not easy, but it can be done.

vCash
    If Mirai doesn't improve she will go down with skaters like Tonya Harding and Nicole Bobek as skaters who had all the talent in the world but didn't fullfill it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I don't know if you noticed, but Mirai is not Rudy Galindo. It may have worked for him and didn't disturb his focus. Mirai's focus does seem fragile, OTOH especially when taken in context with what was observed at Nationals and the articles.
    Exactly! For everyone of mirai's lame ass excuses on why she can't succeed there is at least 1 ready example of someone who did.
    There is nothing and no one holding back nagasu except for the simple fact that she doesn't want it.

vCash
    Exactly! For everyone of mirai's lame ass excuses on why she can't succeed there is at least 1 ready example of someone who did.
    There is nothing and no one holding back nagasu except for the simple fact that she doesn't want it.
    This reminds me of a Saturday Night Live skit where they have Hillary and Sarah giving a speech. Sarah is going on and on about how you just have to want something enough to make it so. I can't find the clip now, but Amy P's response is perfect as Hillary. She goes on and on sarcastically about how yes, she wasn't headed to the White House because she just didn't want it enough.

I have no idea if Mirai want it or not, but it seems a bit of an insult to Mirai and all the other skaters out there to suggest that whether she makes it or not is based only on how much she wants it. I suspect it is a bit more complicated than that.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Whatever the cause of Mirai's current problems, I hope that a solution can be found.
    It was awful to see her so miserable on Saturday.

I would hate for the memory of that performance to be her last competitive experience.
    It wasn't something that you would want anyone to carry inside for the rest of their life.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 01-31-2012 at 01:27 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I don't understand--because something worked for another skater, it should automatically work for everyone?

How about she should dump FC and have her father in K&C instead? Perhaps that's how you get to be a 5-time world champion...
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Honestly, I think the speculation that Mirai just doesn't want it is as bad as my own speculation about what may be going on in her head.

vCash
    I don't think people quite understand the role of a sports psychologist. The majority of professional athletes and amateur athletes see sports psychologists. It doesn't mean they are crazy or have any problems, sports psychologists are there for the athletes to improve their performance. Sometimes, the psychologists are just as crucial to the success of the athlete as their coaches are. Athletes often see psychologists after getting hurt, losing the big game, or constant failure to be able to determine a cause and a cure. A sport psychologist would work WONDERS for Mirai. It seems her biggest problem is trying to please everybody but not quite knowing how, thus she gets lost in her thoughts.

vCash
    Well, nice it's so simple.

There are so many things in a personality that can hold someone back besides not wanting it.

vCash
    It's really easy for us to sit at home with remotes in our hands and to speculate as to why this is or why that is, and some of us even pretend to be psychics and mind readers....
    Right.

The impression I got was not that she was distracted, or unprepared, but that she was unhappy. Whether she was actually feeling that emotion, I don't know, but that's how it LOOKED to me. And that conveys to me that she didn't want to be performing that night. It MIGHT mean that she's no longer interested in skating but there's a difference between skating recreationally in shows and competing in stressful situations at an event like Nationals/Worlds/Olys.

I don't know how she is feeling. I don't think any of us here do. Perhaps not even her coach does. Only she does. I can only look at her and draw my own conclusions from my own observations.

ETA: all this talk about a sports psychologist- do we know for SURE that Nagasu HASN'T been seeing one? I see so many posts suggesting she see one, but...no way to know if she's already tried that and it wasn't working too well...

vCash
    I don't understand--because something worked for another skater, it should automatically work
    "When I see his no-nonsense attitude, I train the same way. When I'm by myself, sometimes I just like to enjoy myself and appreciate that I can skate well."

That appreciation can come from nothing more than the movement of her skates on the ice.
    obviously not, which is why her desire to train should come from herself and not be dependent on Evan, who finds it within himself, not sitting around waiting for Kwan to return. She shouldn't be perfectly content just doing laps like she's at a public session. Not if she wants to be among the worlds best.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I don't know, I've never seen her train outside of the practice sessions in San Jose and there she worked hard.

from Speedy Death

vCash

Unhappy

That's all true. In practices she was calm, deadpan on the ice, but everything landed beautifully and easily. Once again, she appeared very well-trained. Off the ice she was laughing and having a good time with fellow skaters, Agnes in particular. I remember Ashley keeping to herself in contrast and having her fighter face on.

However, right before the short and the free skate I could see where the skaters waited to start their group's warm up and it was a different Mirai. Before she went out to warm up, she was pacing, looked nervous for the first time that week, almost angry or frustrated. On the ice she was tight, her face emotionless, movement mechanical vs. the easy grace of the practices.
    I also noticed Mirai picking at her nails just before she started her LP-I mentioned it right away as I was typing as I watched-my post at the time:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...21&page=36#708
    Mirai looks nervous/pensive. Picking on her nails.

I'd never seen her do that before. It gave me a feeling of doom right away.

Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Honestly, I think the speculation that Mirai just doesn't want it is as bad as my own speculation about what may be going on in her head.

Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    Well, nice it's so simple.

There are so many things in a personality that can hold someone back besides not wanting it.
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 01-31-2012 at 06:29 AM.

vCash
    Has there been any word from Team Nagasu since the ladies FS?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    ETA: all this talk about a sports psychologist- do we know for SURE that Nagasu HASN'T been seeing one?
    Very good point. We, as fans, don't know.

I see so many posts suggesting she see one, but...no way to know if she's already tried that and it wasn't working too well...
    Finding the right sports psychologist who is effective for an individual skater can be as challenging as finding the right coach.

vCash
    ^In my post, I wasn't talking about just a sports psychologist, but a therapist that can help her with life's issues.

That's correct - it's really difficult finding a good therapist, too.

vCash
    ^^^ I know we fans like to discuss/speculate about what we perceive to be the skaters' problems and what might be holding them back from achieving good results, but that's just a bit too personal for me. YMMV of course.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast