Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I think the suggestion about pairs was not so much about being able to land jumps but the idea that training with a partner would create a different kind of commitment to practice and motivate her to better mental discipline, an area where she seems to have difficulty if Frank's exasperation is any measure. The problem with that suggestion (apart from having to get down to 100 or so pounds) is that the US men skating pairs kinda suck, so where does this get her?

I was the one who suggested she could add ice dance to her training. I wasn't thinking that she compete dance, but that she practice it. Dance also helps with posture, stroking and edge quality. (Charlie White, for example, originally took up dance to improve his singles skating.)

Have you ever seen ice dance from the 60s? It really does look pretty lame. Today most figure skaters would say the ice dancers are actually the best pure skaters among the 4 disciplines. Still, Mirai is actually a pretty strong basic skater (good speed, good edges) so there are others who would benefit from cross-training in dance more than her.
    Not to me it doesn't. I think they looked quite elegant in their simple grace. They may look 'lame' to some but these are some of the pioneers of the sport. They laid down some of the basics, the foundations for the greatness to come. It's difficult to be a pioneer in any sport. People generations later think little of them, many even think they can do better even though their laymen and not real athletes, and they don't give them the respect they deserve. It's unfortunate.

vCash
    No news about Mirai yet regarding what she might decide for the coming season. Just a tweet that she was 'hacked'.
    https://twitter.com/#!/mirai_nagasu
    Mirai Nagasu @mirai_nagasu
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    Delete
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details Hacked

She's got so much talent. I do hope she's making some hard decisions about her career path in the coming year.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021