vCash

What is the secret to landing on your Blade?

Ok,I've always wondered about this. To why skaters land right on their Blades after a jump. Rather then the sole of their feet. Does anyone know why? Thanks.

vCash
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but a good jump should come down onto the toepick, and then roll so the whole blade touches the ice (in a split second), deep knee bend helps the skater land on a strong outside edge.

Landing on the back part of the blade is very dangerous and can result in a bad fall. (You know a skater did this if you hear a "thunk" sound from them slamming flat onto the ice, intead of rolling)

It is much like jumping off ice- you don't want to land flat footed, because it is bad for your legs, you want to land toes first, than the ball of the foot, and then the heel.

If you point your toes well, you will have better landings.

vCash
    The key is the toepick hitting the ice first.

When I started learning jumps, all the other coaches and skaters would hear whenever I was in lesson was:

"Point your toe, point your toe!"

(Now, luckily, the message has sunk in and I don't need to be reminded anymore.)

So you touch the ice toe-first, and roll down through your foot onto the outside edge of your blade.

vCash
    This question is nonsensical. It is impossible to land on the sole of the foot as the blade is mounted to it! http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/imag.../confused1.gif

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but a good jump should come down onto the toepick, and then roll so the whole blade touches the ice (in a split second), deep knee bend helps the skater land on a strong outside edge.

Landing on the back part of the blade is very dangerous and can result in a bad fall. (You know a skater did this if you hear a "thunk" sound from them slamming flat onto the ice, intead of rolling)

It is much like jumping off ice- you don't want to land flat footed, because it is bad for your legs, you want to land toes first, than the ball of the foot, and then the heel.

If you point your toes well, you will have better landings.
    LOL,I think you actually refraised my thoughts to discrive what I'm asking correctly. Yes,what is the secrect? Why do Skaters come down from a jump. (After Spinning in the air for ex.) right on their Toe-picks. Rather then hit the ice flat on the boot sole?

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    You can land on the flat of your blade but if you do, you are more likely to be off balance and fall.

vCash
    Maybe MY feet come down Edge out or something. As my feet don't come down on my Toe-Pick or Flat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Maybe MY feet come down Edge out or something. As my feet don't come down on my Toe-Pick or Flat.
    You still use your toe pick to help land a jump. It may not be obvious but it does happen. However it only takes a fraction of a second. And then you get a running edge to complete the landing.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Actually,I don't think my feet have enough time in the air. I think I also just jump straight up,then come back down.

Banned Member
    vCash
    do a single jump

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by winterone View Post
    do a single jump
    Can you explain?

vCash
    Practice. It takes time and repetition to learn how to position your foot in a jump so that you land on the front part of the blade so that the big pick catches enough ice to slow you down. If you miss that pick and land only on the blade, there's a pretty good chance you'll fall.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    It is all in pointing your toes. I tend to land my loop on the flats, and it looks ugly, and can be dangerous. You just have to practice.

I've also used the excuse that I don't jump high enough, but coach won't take it. Point your toes and keep them pointed

vCash
    What kind of skating news is this? Shouldn't this be in the MITF section?

vCash
    You can watch this video (FS in slow motion):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DlhU...eature=related

You can see good examples of landing.

vCash
    Landing a jump on the flat of the blade is dangerous. The toe pick must hit the ice first, and then the foot rolls over to the outside edge, along with the correct lean of the body.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pp55 View Post
    You can watch this video (FS in slow motion):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DlhU...eature=related

You can see good examples of landing.
    I wish I could. But I can't access it.