vCash

A delightful Michelle Kwan quote

In a recent IceNetwork article about Michelle Kwan on the occasion of her induction to the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame, I stumbled upon a section that made me see Michelle Kwan in a new light:

But she can't resist offering young skaters a few pointers, especially when she stops by her family's rink, the East West Ice Palace in Artesia, Calif., where Karen and brother-in-law Peter Oppegard are coaches.

"It's so exciting for me every time I go back to East West and see these girls climbing up the ranks," Kwan said. "I'm watching them grow up..."

Now imagine how awesome it must be for a young skater training at East West Ice Palace to have Michelle Kwan unexpectedly drop by to give you some tips on your skating.

By the way, I am sure Michelle Kwan isn't the only skater that does this sort of thing. I don't mean to single her out as someone extraordinarily helpful or anything. But it's still great to know that she is willing to lend a hand to young skaters. (Do you know of anyone else who doesn't formally coach but is happy to occasionally help out younger skaters?)

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Brian Boitano doesn't officially coach (at least not that I know of), but he has mentored a lot of skaters (and volunteers with local kids).
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett