Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
    He was around at the booth for a short while prior to the warm-up, but then disappeared for a bit and rushed back just in time to begin commenting. So maybe he got caught up in the halls or hospitality -- he definitely did rush back to first begin his SP commentary.
    Johnny was doing the icedesk with Peter C. prior to the short program.

vCash
    I thought Johnny was funny and didn't take the role too seriously. You could tell he was having fun with it. He had something positive to say about most if not all the skaters and kudos to him for that.

I actually think he has a nice commentating voice and when he did speak about the technical side of things, they made sense. If he could tone down the fluff about hair/eyebrows and costumes just a little IMO he would make a commentator.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think skating needs someone fun like Johnny to lighten things up and make people laugh. It made a nice change from Peter C and Scott Hamilton. IMO

vCash
    Johnny's commentary was a lot of fun--he isn't repetitive and he is au courant with current skating, allowing him to make meaningful comments as well as light, frivolous ones.

I appreciated the fact that, by the time Jeremy had skated his short, and certainly during the long, Johnny had lost any hint of patronizing tone toward the person who will be his closest competitor if he does return.

I think he's wrong, though, about Jeremy's "foot warmers" in the short program. The choice of spats and even the "high water" pants has to have been intentional, given that team's attention to detail. The spats make JA's feet/footwork stand out even more than otherwise while the too-short pants adds an element of insouciance--just a young working guy from the late 1930s out dancing after work.

vCash
    ^ High-waisted pants were very common throughout the 1930s. Just watch any movie from that period and you'll see most actors wearing them. I think they started to go out of style during WWII, when people were trying to conserve resources. As for spats, they were still around during the early Swing Era, so Jeremy's costume is appropriate for the music.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Tonia K did commentary. Sarah did the tweets and the Ice Desk at times.
    There was someone else with her commentating for the ladies FS, though. Kim Navarro? Whoever it was did a terrible job. Tonia can be a big but the other female commentator didn't even know what a haircutter spin was called.

Now, what I REALLY want to see is Johnny commentating ladies - or better yet, dance.

vCash
    I think it was Sarah Hughes in the booth with Tonia.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Tonia can be a big but the other female commentator didn't even know what a haircutter spin was called.
    That's what Tonia is for. To call all the haircutters.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    That's what Tonia is for. To call all the haircutters.
    Yeah, I now think of her as Tonia "haircutter" Kwiatkowski. Or Tonia "they dropped the right side" Kwiatkowski...

And then of course there's Mr. Nancy, who actually had an opinion this Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I would really like him to not do a comeback so that he can commentate more...
    I kind of agree with you. Or maybe Johnny can commentate at the Sochi Olympics and participate, at the least in the team competition!

Definitely Johnny's commentary for IN at Nats this year was great overall. He was funny and insightful, although he was a bit too talkative during the sp. During the men's lp, Johnny had settled in and he did a no-nonsense, amazing job. IMO, Johnny deserves an award for his commentary -- he was that good. I particularly enjoyed his ability to provide great insights in a concise yet informative and engaging way. The men skated well and there was a lot of excitement and triumphant, redemptive moments for both Adam and Jeremy in the last group. Johnny's commentary was very eloquent throughout and especially in those triumphant moments of Adam's and Jeremy's performances. I particularly enjoyed how Johnny painted a picture of what the competition meant while setting the stage for anticipating future competitions:

Absolutely beautiful, breathtaking performance from Jeremy ...
    The thing about the National Championships is that it always produces moments like what Jeremy just had. The standing ovation, the audience that's completely behind you, loving every second of you on the ice. And that's what makes the U.S. National Championships so special. And not only was it a great performance for Jeremy. That was the last firework that goes off at this National Championships. That was the last competitive performance we'll see. And to end it on such a great note, makes everyone look forward to and ahead to not only the World Championships, but [to] the National Championships next year in Omaha.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456