Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Johnny Weir as commentator at US Nationals

Well Mens SP is on and I am just loving Johnny Weir as a commentator. So relaxed, articulate, and insightful.

I don't generally enjoy commentating because I find it takes away from the performances... whether the passioniately hyper or insipidly simple.

Tonya, by comparison to Johnny, struggles to come up with something meaningful to say and instead delivers only the obvious and in a way that I think either insults the listener's intelligence or the skater's skating. Take the commentary on Jonathan Cassar...Tonya said that because he only has a double axel he has to work extra hard on other elements to make up for it, but Johnny pointed out that while the program was a lesser degree of technical difficulty the program was one of the most proficiently executed. She sounds critical, while Johnny sounds like he is giving a thoughtful critique just like a protocol. And does Tonya even know the COP? She never seems to point out that there is a -3 GOE for doing less than the required rotations or not having the required combo...she just says something like "he will credit for that single/double but it will just be less points."

Johnny, you are a natural born commentator. Your comments are intelligent and celebrate skating. Bravo!

vCash
    I was completely annoyed at first. The gushing over Adam Rippon was (and I'm a Rippon fan). But he has improved. I just wish he would talk less. I don't want to hear yammering through the entire program.

vCash
    I think Johnny is doing a great job as well. He was meant to do this!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I was completely annoyed at first. The gushing over Adam Rippon was (and I'm a Rippon fan). But he has improved. I just wish he would talk less. I don't want to hear yammering through the entire program.
    I agree. Less talk. I would rather hear the skater's music than hear Weir make a pointless and silly comment about a skater's hair.

vCash
    when johnny sticks to the skating comments he is great, when he thinks that he needs to tell us about hair, sparkles, "real hair" color, etc. that is I want him to stick to the skating and tell us what about the skating is good or why that makes it a great jump, spin, footwork sequence.

I want snarky comments about fashion, hair, costumes from FSU, where one can skim over or block them out if one chooses to do so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    when johnny sticks to the skating comments he is great, when he thinks that he needs to tell us about hair, sparkles, "real hair" color, etc. that is I want him to stick to the skating and tell us what about the skating is good or why that makes it a great jump, spin, footwork sequence.

I want snarky comments about fashion, hair, costumes from FSU, where one can skim over or block them out if one chooses to do so.
    Completely agree. Just talk about the skating and he's great.

vCash
    He is KILLING me
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    eurosport does it best

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    He is KILLING me
    Me too. I'm going to have to rewatch all of this later. Fantastic entertainment and I've learned some things too.

vCash
    He is KILLING me
    Same! He was born for this- he's fun and informative to listen to...unlike the other two.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Very indifferent to his skating but BEST. COMMENTATOR. EVER.

vCash
    someone on twitter said that johnny congratulated one of the skaters on leaving priscilla?

jeez

vCash
    Forget IceNetwork, Johnny should host the Oscars next year. And do the post-game gown judging.
    Creating drama!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    He is KILLING me
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Me too. I'm going to have to rewatch all of this later. Fantastic entertainment and I've learned some things too.
    Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    Same! He was born for this- he's fun and informative to listen to...unlike the other two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Very indifferent to his skating but BEST. COMMENTATOR. EVER.
    ITA. He's the funniest, snarkiest commentator ever.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    someone on twitter said that johnny congratulated one of the skaters on leaving priscilla?

jeez
    Not exactly. It was more along the lines of the skater left Priscilla and the move seemed to be working out for him and congratulations on a well-skated SP. I didn't get an insult to Priscilla out of that.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I think about half of his commentary is entertaining and/or insightful, but he needs to shut up and only talk about 50% as much as he does. And most of his comments are really about him. He might as well be asking "aren't I clever?" after most of what he says. But in there is some really great stuff. And I actually love the counterpoint between him and Tonia
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mpal2 View Post
    Not exactly. It was more along the lines of the skater left Priscilla and the move seemed to be working out for him and congratulations on a well-skated SP. I didn't get an insult to Priscilla out of that.
    I thought it was kinda funny and definitely sort of a dig at Priscilla. Johnny is a master of the passive-aggressive doublespeak.

I noticed Priscilla didn't have any senior men at this event. Actually, any seniors at all in any discipline?

vCash
    I was dying just reading excerpts here. Soooo jealous of all you who actually got to watch/listen!

vCash
    I love Johnny on this Backstage show with Peter Carruthers. He can talk, talk, talk here!! Just pipe down some and it will be all good.

vCash
    Thumbs up! Just one wish- that he would talk a little less during actual programs. But he is a hoot as a commentator, keep him!
    improving my ballad- like lines

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast