vCash

Face-palm "doh" move

This move after the end of the program is starting to drive me crazy. It looks so undignified and really ruins any aura/mood the program just created. I especially hate when they do it the second their program ends without even holding the end pose. We all know you made a mistake you didn't meant to make, now save your reaction for backstage please.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    This move after the end of the program is starting to drive me crazy. It looks so undignified and really ruins any aura/mood the program just created. I especially hate when they do it the second their program ends without even holding the end pose. We all know you made a mistake you didn't meant to make, now save your reaction for backstage please.
    Those are the reactions I live for!

Besides they are done performing, how they act after that is just a skater being human. I wouldn't be able to hide my disappointment either if I worked so hard and saw it go down the drain in 4 minutes. Especially if it were at the Olympics or Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Those are the reactions I live for!

Besides they are done performing, how they act after that is just a skater being human. I wouldn't be able to hide my disappointment either if I worked so hard and saw it go down the drain in 4 minutes. Especially if it were at the Olympics or Worlds.
    I agree. It's good to see the more human/emotional side of skaters.

vCash
    On the flip-side, you work hard to learn that choreo and pay your choreographer all that money, only to ruin the end of the program with a facepalm...

vCash
    On the flip-side, you work hard to learn that choreo and pay your choreographer all that money, only to ruin the end of the program with a facepalm...
    Well they only do it if they already ruined the program...

I like seeing how a skater reacts. I love the pumped fists, and am so sad for them when you can tell they are disappointed. Of course, I see them as athletes first, and artists second.

I do wonder how much of it influences the judges though. Seems dumb to let them know you are disappointed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Well they only do it if they already ruined the program...

I like seeing how a skater reacts. I love the pumped fists, and am so sad for them when you can tell they are disappointed. Of course, I see them as athletes first, and artists second.

I do wonder how much of it influences the judges though. Seems dumb to let them know you are disappointed.
    I agree; they already messed up, the reaction is of little consequence. But I doubt the judges even care, they don't watch the bows from what I see.

vCash
    Well sometimes its only a simple thing like a double instead of a triple. It ruins it so much more to give up on the intended choreo than to just move on from the mistake so you are still giving the best performance you can. I admire skaters that don't pull that move.

vCash
    The performance is already over by the time they do this.

Or have you actually seen a skater do a face-palm after a bad jump, before moving on to the next element?

vCash
    Id gladly watch them all do the face palm if it meant never having to see the the fist pump(Joubert), the "TA-da!" face (Emily Hughes), the hysteric crying jag (baiul) and the screech (Tara) etc...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Id gladly watch them all do the face palm if it meant never having to see the the fist pump(Joubert), the "TA-da!" face (Emily Hughes)
    OMG yes, these moves work in certain programs but SO NOT in others

vCash
    OMG yes, these moves work in certain programs but SO NOT in others
    What programs do they work in? Ever?

vCash
    Are we talking about the K&C or the actual choreogrphy?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Are we talking about the K&C or the actual choreogrphy?
    Based on the original post "after the end of the program" - I based my responses on - done with program, not yet off the ice. Usually as soon as their music ends, most skaters don't hold their ending pose for long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Based on the original post "after the end of the program" - I based my responses on - done with program, not yet off the ice. Usually as soon as their music ends, most skaters don't hold their ending pose for long.
    That's what I though then someone brings up "hysteric crying jag (baiul) and the screech (Tara)" and that threw me off because I have never seen it on the ice. I still think after the ending pose of the music stops the program is over, so how they act is just human emotion. If they throw a fit during the program after a biffed element, that is pretty bad, but I don't see hardly at all.

vCash
    any programs where there was an intentional facepalm in the choreography?

vCash
    Sonia Lafuente
    Michal Březina

I'd like to see these skaters going after the judges tell them that going at the end of the program prompted them not to give them the benefit of the doubt and to lower their marks.

vCash
    Yuzuru Hanyu did the face palm move after one of his programs, but that was because he was happy he performed so well. I thought it was really cute; sort of like the Home Alone boy.