vCash

Richard Dornbush Interview

Excellent interview with Richard Dornbush in Ice Skating International.

Part 1 may be found at: http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archi...020Jun2012.htm

I'm looking forward to Part 2.

Good luck at Nationals, Ricky!
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    snip [bold mine]:

ISIO – Have you made any major changes since the Grand Prix or has it been more a matter of polishing your programs?

RD – There were some specific area in my long program. We changed a section of the music where my footwork and first triple Axel had been. The music just wasn’t strong enough for my skating to really show off it’s best qualities, so we made a change in the music there, and we’re constantly fiddling around with the programs tweaking things here and there to try and keep them fresh and put [things} in the right place.

ISIO - Do you do anything specifically to work the components and what are your goals in terms of that part of skating?

RD – There are several areas where I definitely work on my components. I try to work with my choreographer year round to change sections of the program that aren’t living up to the standard that we want. I also work with a stroking coach and work on footwork and the elements in between, and we’re constantly tweaking trying to make it the best we can. But you know, at the end of the day it’s a fine balance between putting energy into different parts of the program, and it’s really difficult to find the perfect balance between being able to do all the difficult jumps and the difficult spins and step sequences and also performing those elements to their max as well as the component side of the program – your transitions and your performance and execution. So it’s sort of a delicate balance between the two and you really have to toe the line closely to get that perfect program.
    Sounds like he is on the right track

vCash
    I like this young man Richard Dornbush. He sounds very intelligent and knows what he has to do to get to the top.