Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Speaking generally, I don't think any of us who are not personally involved with a team can truly know whether or not it was an "unwise decision" to split.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Speaking generally, I don't think any of us who are not personally involved with a team can truly know whether or not it was an "unwise decision" to split.
    ^THIS!!!

vCash
    Let me clarify....it's an unwise decision if one is serious about achieving a dream of a successful pairs skating career. The podiums were in sight, and she walked away from it. The odds of finding the kind of partnership she had are very long, and she is not likely to have all this ever again. If that is not what she wanted, then fine. But that doesn't compute for me after all kinds of effort and money she must have put into the sport so far.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    But it doesn't have to "compute" for you or for me.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    Well, that's a really unwise decision on her part. She's pretty much killed her future career in this sport. She could have had a shot at 2014 and 2018. She could have won Junior Worlds next season. She was skating with a really great skater and partner. People look a lifetime for that kind of partnership. I can't see how many will take her seriously going forward. Whoever is advising her needs to give their head(s) a serious shake. They have caused her career irreparable damage. I also have to wonder about the Barrie coaches. If no one else can bother to speak the truth to this girl and those around her, at least they should have tried to keep the winning team together, even if it means not gaining a student. Maybe they did. I hope they did.
    I really think you are being overly dramatic. Killed her future in this sport? A few jr medals and a 7th a jr worlds doesn't a career make. She had no shot at the 2014 Olympics the competition in Canadian pairs is too high. 2018 perhaps but if they weren't happy then move on. Partners come and go with most pairs having at least three.

vCash
    Let me clarify....it's an unwise decision if one is serious about achieving a dream of a successful pairs skating career. The podiums were in sight, and she walked away from it. The odds of finding the kind of partnership she had are very long, and she is not likely to have all this ever again. If that is not what she wanted, then fine. But that doesn't compute for me after all kinds of effort and money she must have put into the sport so far.
    FWIW, I don't think anyone on Team Bobak is happy about the split. Something major must have happened.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Originally Posted by NorthernDancers
    Well, that's a really unwise decision on her part. She's pretty much killed her future career in this sport. She could have had a shot at 2014 and 2018. She could have won Junior Worlds next season. She was skating with a really great skater and partner. People look a lifetime for that kind of partnership. I can't see how many will take her seriously going forward. Whoever is advising her needs to give their head(s) a serious shake. They have caused her career irreparable damage. I also have to wonder about the Barrie coaches. If no one else can bother to speak the truth to this girl and those around her, at least they should have tried to keep the winning team together, even if it means not gaining a student. Maybe they did. I hope they did.
    From all I know, Katie is a very bright young lady. Do you think she does not know that with Ian she was heading for a lot of success this season, and possibly beyond? They would have been in line for 2 JGPS, 1 SGP, probably the JGPF again, a top 5 finish at Nats and Junior Worlds. These are opportunities most skaters would KILL for.

In my opinion, something must have been VERY wrong with the partnership and possibly her training environment for her to just walk away from all that.

vCash
    But it doesn't have to "compute" for you or for me.
    And that's a great point. The scientist in me always looks to find the sense in things. And I need to remind myself that some things just won't make sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I really think you are being overly dramatic. Killed her future in this sport? A few jr medals and a 7th a jr worlds doesn't a career make. She had no shot at the 2014 Olympics the competition in Canadian pairs is too high. 2018 perhaps but if they weren't happy then move on. Partners come and go with most pairs having at least three.
    There are only a few Canadian pair teams in recent (sort of) memory that really struck me as having an intangible "it" factor, something really special. Underhill/Martini, Sale/Pelletier, Dube/Davison. I'd put Bobak/Beharry as also having that "it" factor. With D/R and MT/M winning 3 spots for the Olympics at worlds next year, I could see Bobak/Beharry with the 3rd spot. Absolutely possible.

vCash
    There are only a few Canadian pair teams in recent (sort of) memory that really struck me as having an intangible "it" factor, something really special. Underhill/Martini, Sale/Pelletier, Dube/Davison. I'd put Bobak/Beharry as also having that "it" factor. With D/R and MT/M winning 3 spots for the Olympics at worlds next year, I could see Bobak/Beharry with the 3rd spot. Absolutely possible.
    The judges at the last Canadian Nationals disagree with you.

vCash
    Whatever the reason for the split (assuming its confirmed, and assuming they both continue in pairs), who are the potential partners for them?

Beharry - Seguin? Jones? Purich?

Bobak - ?? Schulz?

vCash
    The judges at the last Canadian Nationals disagree with you.
    I'm not sure what this means. B/B competed juniors and destroyed the competition. Their scores would have placed them top five at senior nationals. I could imagine them sneaking into bronze in the 13/14 season.

I'll wait until one is on Icepartner search or something before really believing this, though.

vCash
    Bobak/Beharry have split ?
    that was random..

but then again they said they were planning on staying Juniors,
    something must have happened between them/partnership wise.

shame one less competition for D/D for next juniors season
    Last edited by love_skate2011; 04-21-2012 at 07:50 PM.

vCash
    I'm completely stunned..What the..?

I'm voting for an intervention, too. Bring in Jose Picard to shake her finger at someone.. someone do something !

vCash
    On second thought, post deleted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    I'm not sure what this means. B/B competed juniors and destroyed the competition. Their scores would have placed them top five at senior nationals. I could imagine them sneaking into bronze in the 13/14 season..
    That means even if they did compete in the seniors, 5 maybe even 6 teams would have beat them. So they were for sure not the next great thing in Canadian pairs, they would have had to get past many pairs. How well you do in jrs has nothing to do with getting on an Olympic team, even MT/T had trouble getting to words this year. Maybe some teams realize that behind closed doors.

vCash
    That means even if they did compete in the seniors, 5 maybe even 6 teams would have beat them. So they were for sure not the next great thing in Canadian pairs, they would have had to get past many pairs. How well you do in jrs has nothing to do with getting on an Olympic team, even MT/T had trouble getting to words this year. Maybe some teams realize that behind closed doors.
    Got it. I read NorthernDancer's comments as "They had such a good year together and considerable potential. If they realized said considerable potential, in two years, they could be National bronze medalists."

Which, to me, was eminently reasonable.

vCash
    Not understanding that math. B/B would have placed 5th this year at Senior with the Junior marks. Add a full season of training, likely a JGF podium finish again, and it would not be ridiculous they finish in 4th. In 2 years, 3rd is not ridiculous.

vCash
    Not understanding that math. B/B would have placed 5th this year at Senior with the Junior marks. Add a full season of training, likely a JGF podium finish again, and it would not be ridiculous they finish in 4th. In 2 years, 3rd is not ridiculous.
    Junior and Senior are 2 different ball games... Different rules make it harder to get levels on lifts and other elements, and you tend to be scored harsher if you do not do triples at a senior level (i.e. lower PCS and GOEs) so their scores likely would have dropped somewhat. Also, unless Katie got some triples it is unlikely they would have been placed ahead of teams like L/S or D/W because they would just not be competitive internationally. However, you are right that they looked like they had a lot of potential, and if they continued progressing, Senior National medals may have been in their future. Now we will never know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blademate View Post
    Maybe Jones and Beharry should team up!
    That is an interesting possibility!

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast