Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

vCash
    Purich/Arcieri hopefully improve over the next few weeks.
    I think it's certain that they will improve, since it's pretty much impossible for them to get worse than they were here.

That was a disaster. I attribute it to first-competition nerves, and I'm sure they're skating much better in practice than what they showed today. Nevertheless, I wonder if it might be wiser of Skate Canada to assign them to JGP competitions which are as late as possible rather than to assign them to Graz. Even though they are both good skaters, they need more mileage together (at least IMO).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hohoho View Post
    Purich/Arcieri hopefully improve over the next few weeks. Purich may have to get used to no immediate success like she had with Shultz
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    I think it's certain that they will improve, since it's pretty much impossible for them to get worse than they were here.

That was a disaster. I attribute it to first-competition nerves, and I'm sure they're skating much better in practice than what they showed today. Nevertheless, I wonder if it might be wiser of Skate Canada to assign them to JGP competitions which are as late as possible rather than to assign them to Graz. Even though they are both good skaters, they need more mileage together (at least IMO).
    I agree with both of these comments. I do feel that Purich has taken a big step back from Schultz. Although they had their flaws at Nationals last year which cost them many points, they still had most of the difficult elements needed to survive in the Senior field. Ancieri seems like he needs more experience in pairs to handle Purich, although she didn't show anything she is capable of today. She is definitely capable of much more. She needs a stronger partner to show it IMO.

vCash
    IMO I don't think we should be getting too carried away with MT/M or D/R's scores from Summer Competitions... They tad to be a bit inflated compared to internationals. I highly doubt that a bumpy skate from D/R would have scored 65 internationally... That being said, both teams look GREAT for their 1st competitions of the summer, I cannot wait for the showdown at Nationals!

I also agree with those who say Purich has taken a step down from Schultz. I almost feel moving to Montreal WITH Schultz, or getting some more steady pairs coaching elsewhere would have been a better decision. They had a solid foundation that just needed expert refinement... Sure, she may get to go to a few more JGPs with Ariceri, but she already won 2 bronze with Schultz and came 5th at Jr Worlds, I'm not sure more Jr experience is really needed! Time will tell I guess

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Wow, Duhamel/Radford's SP is really packed with transitions as well.

I'm actually a little worried there's too many of them for them to perform their elements comfortably at this stage.

Choreography is fun and playful and really requires more perk from them to sell it.

I actually think that M-T/M's SP would work better for D/R and D/R's would work better for M-T/M.
    I think MTM are pulling off their non-perk lp beautfully at this stage. I do think perk from DR is a challenge from a performance standpoint. And btw, I've watched the MTM twist and she doesn't land on his shoulder. Her rotations are complete when she comes down. It's a clean catch. There's no bump.

vCash
    I think you also need to consider who the original poster of that comment was when you evaluate whether or not the twist was clean . . .

The posting record is quite instructive.

vCash
    Thanks geoskate.

Speaking of posting record, , I've not been a big fan of the new team of Dube/Wolfe, but they were scheduled to compete at both Liberty and Quebec and didn't. If they were rostered for these comps some time ago, are there any stories or rumors that in the interim they decided to go outside or away for additional coaching, a la Dube/Davison before his injury? Annie still being the primary coach? If they made a late decision to do that, that would account for not competing at these summer competitions. Although he's still green to the senior scene, it makes sense to do that since they're doing the GPS and pairs is increasingly competitive.

vCash
    Whilst Duhamel/Radford's SP is creative and very difficult, I am worried because the issues that have been holding them back so far seem to be still present.

Their basics aren't great and they lack style and expression.

Duhamel's posture and lines have improved already and hopefully that will continue but if I was on their coaching team, I'd be pushing for lessons with a performance skills coach, mimes and dance coaches.

They have the elements and they have the attack, they just need more style, refinement in their movement and stronger expression.

vCash
    Scroll down to read about a recent phone chat with Moore-Towers/Moscovitch: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Very strong on the jumps but lifts need work. Some of them were slow and tentative.
    I'm not sure why you would expect MT&M to be in peak form/condition in July/August?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    I'm not sure why you would expect MT&M to be in peak form/condition in July/August?
    I'm not sure why you think that I expect MT&M to be in peak form/condition in July/August?

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Canadian pairs seem to be very strong this year. Let's hope they all keep it up.

vCash
    Canadian pairs followed the lead of the Canadian dancers at the SLC comp...gold and silver!

MT/M got the gold with a somewhat flawed FS...missed two of their lifts. Jumps were solid, though. L/S have a beautiful, interesting program with amazing lifts. Their sbs double axels look better this year though still not without flaw. Paige missed her triple jump in both the programs but hopefully she'll get it back!

Both teams look so matured, just getting better and better. They are my pick for Canada's top two, for sure.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    Canadian pairs followed the lead of the Canadian dancers at the SLC comp...gold and silver!

MT/M got the gold with a somewhat flawed FS...missed two of their lifts. Jumps were solid, though. L/S have a beautiful, interesting program with amazing lifts. Their sbs double axels look better this year though still not without flaw. Paige missed her triple jump in both the programs but hopefully she'll get it back!

Both teams look so matured, just getting better and better. They are my pick for Canada's top two, for sure.
    You're forgetting the current champions, Duhamel/Radford. They will almost certainly be ahead of L/S, as much as I love them, and may well best MT/M again too. It will be interesting to see how all these teams score on the Grand Prix series.

vCash
    Wasn't forgetting D/R. That's why I said MT/M and L/S are my pick for top two...because they are my preference. Whether they will be or not remains to be seen.
    Last edited by ~tapdancer~; 09-17-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    Paige missed her triple jump in both the programs but hopefully she'll get it back!
    Are they still attempting the 1ft footwork sequence into the sbs jumps? Watching the videos from Indy, I was at a bit of a loss to understand why they would try to add difficulty to an element that Paige already struggles with.

It’s certainly going to be an interesting battle for the Canadian title this season. Very likely MT/M and D/R will be the top 2, but who knows? Hard to believe, but in practice at nats in Moncton MT/M were skating at about the same level they are now. Never would have guessed that nerves would get the better of them to the point that they would end up in 4th. Will the same thing happen to D/R this season now that they’re the defending Canadian champions? Doubtful, as Meagan is a pretty seasoned competitor. Realistically, the only way I can see L/S grabbing a spot on the world team is if MT/M or D/R have a meltdown. Love them to bits, but they just don’t have the jumps to keep pace. Really a shame we don’t have three spots for Worlds.

Speaking of not having 3 spots for Worlds, any word on the status of D/W for SA? It’s hard to imagine how they’ll be ready to compete when they weren’t able to even show their programs at the High Performance Camp.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    Speaking of not having 3 spots for Worlds, any word on the status of D/W for SA? It’s hard to imagine how they’ll be ready to compete when they weren’t able to even show their programs at the High Performance Camp.
    Speaking of not having 3 spots? Okaaay.....

According to this article http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/autres...compromise.php, an injury to Dube's ankle has slowed down their preparation for the season. SC will be checking in with them weekly to assess their readiness for their Grand Prix assignments. Skate America is looking very doubtful at this point, surely.

vCash
    As much as I like Dube, it was really an unfair situation for Skate Canada to put unrealistic expectations on this new team by sending them to Worlds before they are ready. If Skate Canada had sent the Canadian champs, D/R, and then MT/M based on their season's work instead of just Nationals, Canada would more than likely have 3 spots to worlds.

I agree that barring any nasty meltdowns, gold and silver are looking solid. I really like L/S, but they struggle with technical marks. Maybe they should spend some time with some specific technical coaches, or even perhaps KW from time to time to get a different perspective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    As much as I like Dube, it was really an unfair situation for Skate Canada to put unrealistic expectations on this new team by sending them to Worlds before they are ready. If Skate Canada had sent the Canadian champs, D/R, and then MT/M based on their season's work instead of just Nationals, Canada would more than likely have 3 spots to worlds.
    This will be debated about until for eternity. D/W earned their spot at worlds, MT/M could have went but they messed it up. So this year they are working harder than ever. If they did go they could have easily had another meltdown and ended up in 9th or 11th, as it was they probably would have ended up behind D/C anyway. To me L/S have no spark, there is nothing special to them at all that sets them apart from the rest even when they do land their elements, that's what they need to work on; more than anything else.

vCash
    When dream teams come true: Kitchener-Waterloo Skating club finds what they hope are perfect combinations

And so, Kris Wirtz had to wait for the stars to align before the pairs skaters he most wanted to unite in his dreams, established juniors Brittany Jones and Ian Beharry, were both ready, willing and available.

“But if I had to take people and put them together, these are the ones I would have.
    Also:

Jones and Beharry, a 20-year-old Guelph resident, both previously won national junior titles with different partners. They will compete on the Junior Grand Prix circuit this season.

But they will take to the senior stage at the Canadian championships in Mississauga in January.
    Well, thank gawd for that. What number does this bring us up to in the senior ranks at nats? 6 possibly 7 teams?
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    In the world of figure skating, North American dream teams are assembled more by luck than by a coach’s decree.

This isn’t Russia or China where iron-fisted coaches often handpick their charges, matching skaters with whomever the instructor chooses no matter how incompatible the personalities.
    I think there are a lot of Russian coaches and skaters who would disagree with that comment.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast