vCash

Smile 'Kween' coverage: Hall of Fame induction a reflection of Kwan's stature

I figure there will be a lot of media coverage in the coming week, so here's a new KWEEN thread, leading off with an article by Bonnie Ford: http://espn.go.com/espnw/olympics/75...all-week-espnw
    Specifically, Kwan was named the country's first Public Diplomacy Envoy, and has made half a dozen overseas trips with government delegations. She rubs shoulders with ambassadors and policy-makers and interacts with young people in her unpaid role. Kwan also serves on the President's Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition and the Special Olympics' board of directors. She earned a master's degree in international relations from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University last spring and moved to Washington. She rarely skates any more, preferring to practice yoga several days a week.

Yet Kwan isn't ready to define her dream job and views her second career as a work in progress. She said she felt behind when she re-entered academia and is still listening and absorbing. It will surprise no one who followed her that she is approaching the next phase with inquisitiveness, humility and not a single trace of celebrity entitlement.

"I would like to do something that's different than what I'm used to for the past 20 years of my life, and that's not an easy task," she said.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I thought the title said something about a Kwan statue. Now that is a good idea!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Excerpt from an Czisny/pre-Nationals article I posted in the US Ladies thread in the Trash Can last night:
    It was 2002, and Czisny was about to launch her senior career at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships. As luck of the draw would have it, Czisny — then 14 — was the first to skate her short program, just ahead of Kwan.

"I was thrilled to be able to sit in the Kiss & Cry and watch her," Czisny, the reigning U.S. ladies champ, said Monday. "The longer I skate, the more I've learned to admire what she did because it's not easy getting to the top, and it's not easy staying at the top."

Ten years later both women have come full circle, in their own distinctive ways.

Kwan, 31, will take center stage at a ceremony Friday in San Jose for her induction into the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame. San Jose was the site of her first of nine U.S. titles in 1996, when she was just 15.

Revered as one of the greatest figure skaters of all time, Kwan's career also included winning five world titles and two Olympic medals (silver in 1998, bronze in 2002). Last summer she received her master's degree from Tufts University's Fletcher School of Diplomacy.

"Who's more deserving of being inducted in the Hall of Fame than Michelle Kwan?" Czisny asked. "She was so consistent, and she had that presence on the ice that set her apart from her competitors that made us all love her and believe in her."

vCash
    Really lovely quotes from Ms. Czisny. I hope she is inspired to perform well at these Nationals!

O-

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Hersh Article, Part !

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...4570030.column

SAN JOSE, Calif. - It is my good fortune that my three decades of covering figure skating include the 10-year period when Michelle Kwan was the sport.

Through it all, the stunning triumphs and the Olympic disappointments, she handled everything with a grace that made her the most beloved skater in U.S. history as well as the most decorated U.S. skater in history – winning medals from judges and surpassing respect from fans, coaches, rivals and journalists.

vCash
    Congratulations to Michelle for this well-deserved honor. I wonder if she'll continue to remain a public figure or if she'll seek a more behind-the-scenes career once she finishes grad school?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Congratulations to Michelle for this well-deserved honor. I wonder if she'll continue to remain a public figure or if she'll seek a more behind-the-scenes career once she finishes grad school?
    Michelle finished grad school last year and has her Masters.

I guess we'll see!

O-

vCash
    Part 2 of Hersh's article on Kwan's career. Reading Michelle's answers to these questions about her skating career brings back many memories. Hard to believe that tutu-clad guy on the ice during her FS warmup at Worlds was nearly 8 years ago. Time does fly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    Michelle finished grad school last year and has her Masters.

I guess we'll see!

O-
    Oops! I missed that. I wonder if Michelle is applying for the U.S. Foreign Service? She would be an asset to them but their application process is lengthy. Her background check alone could take more than a year given all of the international traveling she has done.

vCash
    When is Michelle's induction ceremony?

vCash

vCash
    k thanks

vCash
    San Jose Mercury News article: http://www.mercurynews.com/other-sports/ci_19841111

Any reports on the HOF induction/reception last night?

ETA: Some fan reports are posted in the Kween thread in the Trash Can (starting with post #54).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-28-2012 at 04:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I thought the title said something about a Kwan statue. Now that is a good idea!
    No, it's about her stature, meaning her height!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i love how IN has her on the sides of the home page where the natl champions normally go
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Does anyone know the time of the on ice ceremony tonight?

vCash
    God, do I miss her skating. Best of luck to Kwanita in whatever she decides to do.
    I haven't even bothered watching Nats today. No stahs. Not like her.

vCash
    Does anyone know where I can see the ceremony during the ladies long for Michelle? I'm not an icenetwork subscriber and this seems to be the only place I can find it. I thought i read that they were going to make this available to everyone, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks so much!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    Does anyone know where I can see the ceremony during the ladies long for Michelle? I'm not an icenetwork subscriber and this seems to be the only place I can find it. I thought i read that they were going to make this available to everyone, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks so much!
    This was taken with a handheld camera from someone in the stands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euhpiGjnRdA

You'd best hurry before it gets taken down.

vCash
    Thank you! I did hurry and am very glad I got to see it!