Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Glacier Falls FSC Bids for ISU Senior B in USA

From Ice Skating International (web blog):

The Glacier Falls FSC has responded to U.S. Figure Skating's request for bids to hold ISU Senior events as part of an established non-qualifying competition. The goal is to have a less elite ISU competition than Skate America held in the U.S. annually. These types of competitions are known as Senior Bs and in Europe include competitions such as Nebelhorn, Andrej Nepela, and Finlandia Trophy. The U.S. competitions will take place in the August-September timeframe of this year.
    Glacier Falls has bid to include ISU Senior events in Singles, Pairs and Dance as part of their annual Summer Classic competition that is held in Anaheim, CA in early August. This years dates for the Summer Classic are August 2-5, 2012. The ISU Senior events will be open to U.S. Figure Skating competitors and Senior competitors from ISU member federations.

As described by U.S. Figure Skating, the purpose of hold these events in the U.S. is to increase opportunities for U.S. athletes, coaches and officials to participate in an international event without the expense of international travel and increase the opportunity for more U.S. athletes to earn ISU World standing points and or seasons best scores. In order compete at ISU championships (Europeans, Four Continents and Worlds) skaters must meet minimum requirements for points scored in an ISU International competition. The Senior B will be an opportunity for U.S. skaters to earn these points without having to travel overseas. The 2012 Senior B will be the first such competition held in North America. Skate Canada has not held such a competition, though one was planned for last year, but then cancelled.

The list of clubs that submitted bids has not been released, but it is our understanding from "asking around" that Glacier Falls was the only club in the Pacific Section to bid, and that Skating Club of New York bid from the Eastern Section.

U.S. Figure Skating will be reviewing the bids the first two seeks of February. The location of the competition must forwarded to the ISU by March 1, 2012 to get on the schedule for the 2012-13 season.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Thanks for this news! Article link is: http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archi...Senior%20B.htm

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    This can only be good news for me, because the events should be held in Ontario (my preference) or in Anaheim (close enough), Right?

vCash
    Or in NYC. (in conjunction with SC of NY's Middle Atlantics club competition in mid-September)

vCash
    That's great news -- I hope USFSA goes ahead with both of them.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    It will go a long way to helping out skaters in North America who can't travel to Europe for the current Senior Bs.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Or in NYC. (in conjunction with SC of NY's Middle Atlantics club competition in mid-September)
    Oooh, I would love this. Of course, it would be great either way.

vCash
    Yes, please. (Both SoCal and NY.)

About frigging time.

thankyouverymuch

vCash
    Also:

Honey Badger on the roster of the GF event, please.

thankyoyverymuch

vCash
    Sounds great, I hope this works out. Would U.S. entries be limited in each event, and would they have to be invited to compete by U.S. Figure Skating, or could any U.S. skater who wanted to meet the minimum score enter?

vCash
    Isn't this the same weekend of Indy Challenge?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jkl View Post
    Isn't this the same weekend of Indy Challenge?
    Indy Challenge's sanction doesn't appear to be complete yet (it's not listed on the USFS events page yet). It's usually the final weekend of July, or the first weekend of August... depending on the other major competitions, and the downtown Indy convention schedule.

Can the US even enter more than 3 pairs at the Senior B?

Assuming the US (and any country) can't, I don't imagine it will be much of a concern if both are held on the same weekend. I think all of the senior pairs are coached by teams, so one coach (or one half) of the coaching team can always go with a pair to the Senior B, and the other coach (or half) of the coaching team can go to Indy Challenge. US Figure Skating could have monitors at both events for pairs.

vCash
    Reading about the "space crunch" with all the talented juniors moving up to the Senior GP, Senior B events take on added importance. It might be a skater's only chance in front of an international channel before 4cc or worlds!

Any word on this?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The timing might make it eligible as a competition where skaters can qualify the GP minimum as well.

Anaheim is easy to access transportation-wise.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    Sounds great, I hope this works out. Would U.S. entries be limited in each event, and would they have to be invited to compete by U.S. Figure Skating, or could any U.S. skater who wanted to meet the minimum score enter?
    As for the entries being limited, it depends entirely on the organiser.

As for your second question, skaters have to be nominated by their respective federations in order to compete at any international events.

vCash
    It would be amazing for me, living in San Diego! I already spectate that comp regularly. It'd be wonderful if it was made higher profile and attracted great international skaters training throughout N. America.

vCash
    Good luck for both bids!

vCash
    I hope that at least one of these events gets accepted!

vCash
    I wonder if this might an option for Johnny Weir?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast