Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Well, isn't that fine and dandy for you. You are definitely one of the rare ones. I sure wish that my grandfather had been able to "get over himself" instead of putting a gun to his head. I guess trying to make a go by himself of a failing farm left him "too much free time." No matter what Demi Moore's real problems might be, reading comments like yours about depression make be so .
    I strongly disagree with this. Depression is a chemical imbalance and should not be minimized or made fun of. I have no idea what Demi Moore's medical condition is but please do not minimize a condition that you obviously do not know enough about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    I strongly disagree with this. Depression is a chemical imbalance and should not be minimized or made fun of. I have no idea what Demi Moore's medical condition is but please do not minimize a condition that you obviously do not know enough about.
    I think skatingfan was using sarcasm to criticize danceronice for making light of depression. I don't think skatingfan was making light of his/her grandfather's suicide.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    It seems that some have difficultly with Demi spending time honing her body and looks as if it is a useless effort. Her profession requires her to not only have some skills in acting but to maintain a BODY THAT THE PUBLIC wants to see. Do we really know that she wants to put that much effort into it? Unless you are a close friend or family member, I suspect not. It is your interpretation of her actions.

Do you or would you criticize anyone who takes what might be a prestigious research or professor position in their many hours of reading, creating work processes and neglect their physical or mental health?

Depression, anorexia, self medicating with illegal substances or even legal substances without doctor supervision, occurs at every level of the socioeconomic level. No family is immune to it - some families have a higher incidence of it. True chemical imbalance is difficult to overcome and doi if you really did great kudos to you, but the majority of people do not without appropriate interventions.

The bigger issue, I believe, is the lack of appropriate healthcare in relationship to mental illnesses. Healthcare insurance companies must recognize how difficult it is to treat since they are very stringent in what type of care and the cap on care they will provide. If they capped cancer treatments or cardiovascular treatments like they do mental illnesses the outrage would be incredible.

We the paying public, created a successful financial background for Demi to be able to pay for her care. If we don't like the preferential treatment we perceive her receiving, then whose fault is that?

vCash
    Numbers, I don't have a problem with Demi being able to pay form the best possible care. I think it is great. I do wish everyone had access to that quality and quantity of care. What I object to is the notion that her money has no affect on her care or her chances for recovery. Money does help. I don't see anything wrong noting that fact anymore than noting that a lack of money hinders homeless people's medical care and their chances of recovery. Unfortunately, that is just the way it is.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Healthcare access for mental illness sucks and especially for the poor, uninsured, under-insured or burden by the outdated insurance system that refuses to recognize that mental illnesses can be treated.. But that is a discussion for PI.

vCash
    Money smooths the way in life and makes it more likely that you will get good care for your ills, but it doesn't do a whole lot to keep you from suffering from depression and experiencing unhappiness
    What you said.

So Demi makes more money than most of us do. She worked for it. How does that make her any less deserving of a little compassion?

I always thought she and Bruce Willis had a real connection, even though they divorced. It would be sort of awesome if they explored it again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    I always thought she and Bruce Willis had a real connection, even though they divorced. It would be sort of awesome if they explored it again.
    Bruce is currently married. What kind of "connection" are you suggesting Bruce should explore with Demi ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Bruce is currently married. What kind of "connection" are you suggesting Bruce should explore with Demi ?
    Oops. That's what happens when you mix up your celebrities. I thought he was divorced.

vCash
    Is Demi Moore filthy rich?

Yes.

Can she afford to take time out and hire the best therapists?

Yes.

It doesn't change the fact that whether we accept ourselves, whether we believe that we deserve to be loved, is something absolutely central to our well-being.

Research has consistently shown that money does not buy happiness and well-being.

Demi has to deal with her shit just like we all do.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 01-27-2012 at 01:09 PM.

vCash
    fwiw, it never even occurred to me that someone would ever consider you unattractive, ziggy. or unintelligent.

just my .02

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    Oops. That's what happens when you mix up your celebrities. I thought he was divorced.
    Bruce Willis is remarried and his current wife is expecting.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

a monkey stole my title
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Been depressed. Had meds. Tossed them. Got over it (which really translates to got over myself) instead. Had an eating disorder. I deal with it. If you've got time to be depressed, you have too much free time. Get over it and accept life isn't about rainbows and butterflies and constant positive affirmations. You can't drug your way to happy, prescribed or otherwise.
    One can do a million damn things in the day- even crack jokes- and still suffer from depression underneath it all. Depression does not necessarily entail having time to sit around wallowing in self pity.

People who make millions (and REALLY? Having to keep fit and audition for roles is hardship? Oh, please. I'd like to have 2-3 hours a day again to exercise like in school, but I'm a grown-up now.) for being good-looking and able to remember lines (which is most Hollywood actors) really don't have much to complain about.
    Bitter, much?

Money does not equal a happy, perfect life; it obviously makes some things easier but it's not the be-all and end-all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    fwiw, it never even occurred to me that someone would ever consider you unattractive, ziggy. or unintelligent.

just my .02
    Me neither.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    As the mother of a son with clinical depression and the granddaughter of a man who killed himself, I just want to say that danceronice's posts are beyond moronic.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Watch and learn kids, don't get anywhere near near a PC when .

Last edited by Ziggy; 01-27-2012 at 01:48 PM.

vCash
    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/

Here's a take on depression I thought was very good. It's not easy to "get over it" -- I feel empathy for anyone that goes through it, no matter how much or little money they have.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Heather Graham is a successful celebrity?
    I consider someone whose name is widely recognized and who has worked solidly for the past 25 years, with credits that include box office smashes, critical acclaim for her performances, award nominations/wins, recurring tv roles and more to come to be successful. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001287/

Got over it (which really translates to got over myself) instead.
    Really? Your posting history indicates otherwise.

INTJ
    vCash
    Been depressed. Had meds. Tossed them. Got over it (which really translates to got over myself) instead. Had an eating disorder. I deal with it.
    Hmmm. Interesting. You clearly must be some mutant of a human being because in my experiences with multiple therapists, doctors, psychiatrists, they've all been pretty adamant that depression isn't something you just get over. Ever. Besides, "dealing with it" does not mean the problem doesn't exist or is fixed.

If you've got time to be depressed, you have too much free time. Get over it and accept life isn't about rainbows and butterflies and constant positive affirmations. You can't drug your way to happy, prescribed or otherwise.
    You know, being really busy is a great way to avoid actually dealing with things. The purpose of drugs is not to make you happy, it's to enable FUNCTIONING. Depression isn't about not having a life full of "rainbows and butterflies and constant positive affirmations". If that's your impression I doubt you were actually depressed. However, judging from your posts I'm thinking there's a whole lot of denial going on.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Congrats on one of the most stupid, insensitive and offensive posts ever posted on FSU, danceronice.

No, people can't simply choose to get over their mental illness.

Of course in order to get better, you need to want it and you need to fight for it but the process is difficult, long, complex and usually involves a lot of therapy and in some cases medication is necessary as well.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Like overedge said, she (and any celebrity) didn't get to be rich by telling the press to go away and magazines not to write about her and entertainment shows not to cover every detail of her relationships. You want to be rich and famous? Congratulations, your life is an open book. That means when things go bad, that's also public.
    I utterly and totally disagree with this. Unless one is a reality TV star and nothing else (like the Kardashians, for example). Basically when selling their private life is their job. Then I guess they can't complain if people are demanding to show them everything. But a normal person would back out even then. As a fellow human being I have no problem understanding that everyone needs privacy sometimes. Especially when they're going through a rough patch. That's why when asking for privacy people often use the words "out of respect." Can't stand the Kardashians, but I would give them that, too, if they asked for it. Out of respect.

Now, if one is an actor, dancer, singer, sportsman, etc., someone who's in the public eye because of their skills/job, they owe the public what they do at/for work and maybe some autographs later. Their private life is their private life. If they decide to share some of it, great, if they want to keep the rest out of the public eye, that's their damn right. Just because you paid $10 for a movie ticket or even $100 for a show, they don't owe you anything more than you paid for. Their private life is, just like yours, to be shared with others at their own discretion. So if they do, be grateful (if you're interested) or bored (if you're not), if they don't, don't demand it or ridicule them for it. Unless their private life is what they're selling. But like said, even then...

I would never expect any celebrity to give me the time of their day when they're out of work. Or share anything about their private life beside what they want to be sharing.

Having said that, I don't get the fascination with other people's private lives, famous or not. And at times when they're hurting? Guess what? We all look the same.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast