Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 105
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,245
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    12294
    First off, I wish Demi well, hope she gets herself together. That said, she has always been extremely focused on her looks and her body and is a control freak. I can remember reading interviews/articles years ago about the daily, long and punishing workouts she'd put herself through to maintain the body beautiful. Fine, that's her choice, however the simple fact is she's growing older and she can't put off or erase the signs of aging completely.

    My personal take is that Ashton's behavior really destroyed her. Here's a woman obsessed with looking as young and hot as possible, and her younger spouse cheats on her with very young hotties. Liz Smith had a good article today on both Demi and Heather Locklear. They are still very beautiful women, but Hollywood isn't kind and doesn't shower the beautiful but non-Meryl Streep type actresses with roles once they pass well into their forties. If you built your career on your looks and you hotness, you often don't have a lot to stand on. Not saying Demi is a bad actress, but she's no Meryl or even a Sandra Bullock. Range is not exactly her strong point. I actually can believe exhaustion, because she hasn't been setting the world on fire with her acting career, and now the other primary thing that got her attention is also gone. She's at a crossroads, will be interesting to see how she handles it. Again, I wish her peace, serenity, and good things.

    Smith article: http://www.wowowow.com/liz-smith/liz...right-by-them/
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,320
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32204
    I may only be speaking for myself here, but what bothers me about the use of the term "exhaustion" in this situation is that there is a lot of indications that something else is going on. That doesn't mean she or anyone else is obligated to reveal the specifics, or that she really isn't exhausted, but her PR person using that term reads to me like everyone is expected to just accept it and believe it.

    And as has been pointed out, celebrities have used "exhaustion" as a reason for hospitalization for a whole range of reasons, some of which have nothing to do with actual exhaustion. So her PR person should know that saying a celebrity is "exhausted" doesn't really divert anyone, and is more likely than anything to set off more speculation (which I'm guessing was *not* the intent). So if anything I think her PR person is at fault here, not Demi herself.

    That being said, I am glad Demi has enough money to get the treatment she likely needs, and she has obviously gone through a horrible situation that I hope she is getting some help in dealing with.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    9,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Latest report is that she inhaled too much laughing gas - http://www.tmz.com/2012/01/25/demi-m...oxide-seizure/
    That is just crazy!

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,262
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I may only be speaking for myself here, but what bothers me about the use of the term "exhaustion" in this situation is that there is a lot of indications that something else is going on. That doesn't mean she or anyone else is obligated to reveal the specifics, or that she really isn't exhausted, but her PR person using that term reads to me like everyone is expected to just accept it and believe it...
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Years ago, a family friend was hospitalized with "exhaustion" and there weren't any drugs, alcohol, or eating disorders involved. He's not rich or famous. He's just a hard-working average joe who owned a small business. He was coping with a terminally ill parent, a nitwit teenaged son who got himself arrested for drug dealing *and* being short-staffed at his business which was his sole source of income. He was too proud to ask for help and ran himself into the ground trying to hold everything together.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    4,852
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    13314
    I feel bad for her. It's not easy when a relationship ends. I don't think it's fair for anybody to imply that it should be easier for her because she is rich/famous/asks for the press etc...She's obviously having a hard time with it. Maybe she has, in the past, asked for media attention. A lot of people seem to crave fame but there's no handbook on how to handle it when things turn bad. And it doesn't mean that she should be a pro at handling a break-up. And as to her and/or her people claiming exhaustion, she doesn't owe anyone any explanation as to why she's checked herself into a hospital. If she one day wants to discuss it further, that's her choice.
    Team Peeps!

  6. #46
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,168
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46915
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I may only be speaking for myself here, but what bothers me about the use of the term "exhaustion" in this situation is that there is a lot of indications that something else is going on. That doesn't mean she or anyone else is obligated to reveal the specifics, or that she really isn't exhausted, but her PR person using that term reads to me like everyone is expected to just accept it and believe it.


    So what? What difference does it make to anyone whether she has been hospitalized for exhaustion or anorexia or drugs?

    What do you care if the publicist expects you to believe it? You clearly don't. But since you say that no one is obligated to reveal the specifics, what exactly do you expect the publicist to say? What other term would be specific enough to be a reason a person would be admitted to a hospital but general enough not to reveal the details while at the same time preventing people from speculating about the REAL reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    And as has been pointed out, celebrities have used "exhaustion" as a reason for hospitalization for a whole range of reasons, some of which have nothing to do with actual exhaustion. So her PR person should know that saying a celebrity is "exhausted" doesn't really divert anyone, and is more likely than anything to set off more speculation (which I'm guessing was *not* the intent).
    Again, so what?

    And again, what SHOULD the publicist say to prevent people from speculating?

    Somehow, I doubt that a publicist is going to have any doubts about whether there will be speculation; that's sort of a publicist's bread and butter, isn't it? There would be speculation regardless of what was said because that's what people do. The publicist's job at this point is not to prevent speculation, but to protect the client as much as possible.

    I can see being annoyed if the government lies to you about something; I don't get thinking that a celebrity's personal woes are so important that we must have TRUTH. Whether she's in for drug addiction, anorexia, exhaustion or a nervous breakdown--what difference does it really make? Who or what is hurt by the word "exhaustion"?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Whatever it is she has: I think in almost any situation I'd rather have money than face whatever without money. Just my preference with no animosity towards Demi. I am sorry the relationship didn't work out as it appears she was truly in love with the guy. That has to hurt---no matter how wealthy.

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,897
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91195
    My post with regard to Demi's money was in response to someone saying money doesn't buy you happiness. That is absolutely correct, it doesn't. That said, to say that a working poor person with no family support going through a marriage breakup, dealing with exhaustion, and a possible eating disorder is in the same boat as Demi is, IMHO, unfair. I assume what Demi is going through is difficult, BUT, and it is a big but, she doesn't have the added stress of possible losing her job because she has no sick time left (that assumes she had sick time to begin with) and then perhaps losing her house or having her children taken away because she can't feed them. Mental illness does not discriminate based on economic level, but the ability to get treatment and carry on one's life is greatly affected by economic level. If Demi is, in fact, suffering from a mental illness she will have access to the very best care in the world. If she accepts the help, she will have as much time she needs to recover. The same cannot be said about the millions of people without healthcare coverage, without sick days, without savings....

    This doesn't mean I am unsympathetic to Demi or that I don't understand that there are unique stresses to being a middle aged actress in Hollywood, but if I had to choose between being in Demi's situation and the other example I gave above, it would be an easy choice.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Gwyneth Paltrow Fan Club headquarters
    Posts
    17,320
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32204
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    What do you care if the publicist expects you to believe it? You clearly don't. But since you say that no one is obligated to reveal the specifics, what exactly do you expect the publicist to say? What other term would be specific enough to be a reason a person would be admitted to a hospital but general enough not to reveal the details while at the same time preventing people from speculating about the REAL reason?
    And again, what SHOULD the publicist say to prevent people from speculating?
    How about "My client has been hospitalized and further details will be released when appropriate". It's not going to stop people from speculating - you know as well as I do that's going to happen no matter what gets said - but IMHO it would serve the purpose better.

    Somehow, I doubt that a publicist is going to have any doubts about whether there will be speculation; that's sort of a publicist's bread and butter, isn't it? There would be speculation regardless of what was said because that's what people do. The publicist's job at this point is not to prevent speculation, but to protect the client as much as possible.
    The publicist is not protecting the client by using words that he/she should know will only provoke more attention and speculation. There will be speculation regardless, but there are also ways to handle the situation that don't inflame it further. A simple confirmation that the client has been hospitalized is really all that's necessary.

    I can see being annoyed if the government lies to you about something; I don't get thinking that a celebrity's personal woes are so important that we must have TRUTH. Whether she's in for drug addiction, anorexia, exhaustion or a nervous breakdown--what difference does it really make? Who or what is hurt by the word "exhaustion"?
    I didn't say I was annoyed or demanding the absolute truth. Please don't misrepresent what I said, or suggest that in the grand scheme of things that I think this is more important than real issues. But FWIW I think that Demi Moore's reputation is not helped by her publicist claiming "exhaustion" - because, as we see here, that inevitably sparks responses of "she should do a real person's job and get paid what real people get paid and then she'd know what exhaustion is". And in a job that depends on people wanting to pay money to watch your product, reputation is everything.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7854
    So, her kids have a nitrous tank that Demi dipped into?

  11. #51
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,371
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    Just a random bit of info to add to the mix here: I met someone a few years back who knew someone who worked for the actress Heather Graham. She said it was quite an eye opener to hear what her life was like - way more work and stress that one might think for a successful celebrity.

    Apparently even after she started getting good roles that earned her acclaim and made money at the box office, she was still in constant competition with other actresses to get parts. It's a constant sell job with meetings, meet and greets, being at the right events and parties, meeting the right people etc - and dealing with a lot of rejection. She had to attend tons of events just to keep her name out there and network with the right people (it's not just the awards shows - it's the endless rounds of luncheons, openings, premieres, parties and publicity events too), and that necessitated much time spent with stylists fitting outfits etc, not to mention the pressure to keep your body in shape and your looks perfect and the time that takes.

    I'm not making a judgement either way; just pointing out that it's not all glamorous parties and being waited on hand and foot by the pool for people like Demi.

  12. #52
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,168
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46915
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    How about "My client has been hospitalized and further details will be released when appropriate". It's not going to stop people from speculating - you know as well as I do that's going to happen no matter what gets said - but IMHO it would serve the purpose better.
    You think that statement would work better?

    Seriously?

    In what way?

    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    The publicist is not protecting the client by using words that he/she should know will only provoke more attention and speculation. There will be speculation regardless, but there are also ways to handle the situation that don't inflame it further. A simple confirmation that the client has been hospitalized is really all that's necessary.


    I would think the first question people would have is "*gasp* Why? What's wrong with her?"

    And since the answer isn't forthcoming, I would think speculation would immediately run rampant. And then some.

    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I didn't say I was annoyed or demanding the absolute truth. Please don't misrepresent what I said, or suggest that in the grand scheme of things that I think this is more important than real issues. But FWIW I think that Demi Moore's reputation is not helped by her publicist claiming "exhaustion" - because, as we see here, that inevitably sparks responses of "she should do a real person's job and get paid what real people get paid and then she'd know what exhaustion is". And in a job that depends on people wanting to pay money to watch your product, reputation is everything.
    Right. Because it's the word "exhaustion" that inspired comments about her not having a real job. I thought it might be that danceronice didn't think acting was a real job, at least as Demi Moore does it, and this thread just gave her an excuse to say it.

    I'm sure that if Demi Moore had been admitted to the hospital for undisclosed reasons, danceronice would never have thought to make that comment, relevant as it is to the matter at hand.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  13. #53
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    katbert greenhouse
    Posts
    30,172
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    50062
    when celebrities use their relationship as a vehicle for publicity, there is often not much sympathy when karma comes and shuts it down.

    i dont really care what her publicist calls it, we all know it is a euphemism for something else that is none of our business. however, if she really is huffing, that is pathetic.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  14. #54
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,457
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    There's a whole lot of ignorance above. Maybe the self-pity that you seem to have no patience for is actually a manifestation of depression. It's pretty damn difficult to be depressed and put on a "happy" exterior. And that can come across as self-pity because depression makes you think that it is you that's the problem. You become the freak that's just not like anyone else because you can't function like normal, you have to fight tooth and nail just to get out of bed in the morning, you can't get pleasure out of things that you're supposed to get pleasure out of, you can't feel emotions like a normal person. It's pretty hard to not exhibit some self-pity in that state.

    As far as Demi goes, I have a lot of sympathy for anyone suffering from depression or eating disorders. Yes, being wealthy means that she has access to resources easier than most but that doesn't mean it's really any easier.

    And since you brought up Steve Jobs, he had much easier access to resources to treat his illness too. And depression is an illness too and is just as much being "screwed by nature". I don't see any difference.
    Been depressed. Had meds. Tossed them. Got over it (which really translates to got over myself) instead. Had an eating disorder. I deal with it. If you've got time to be depressed, you have too much free time. Get over it and accept life isn't about rainbows and butterflies and constant positive affirmations. You can't drug your way to happy, prescribed or otherwise. People who make millions (and REALLY? Having to keep fit and audition for roles is hardship? Oh, please. I'd like to have 2-3 hours a day again to exercise like in school, but I'm a grown-up now.) for being good-looking and able to remember lines (which is most Hollywood actors) really don't have much to complain about. If it's so hard, there are 1001 actors REALLY having to work those auditions and network who would love to take their place while they recouperate.

    Considering that with some of their paychecks they could retire by investing what they earn for one movie and live a modest private life for the next fifty years while still being comfortable and quite generous to charity, no one is holding a gun to their head making them live the celebrity lifestyle. You chose to swim in the shark tank, you get bit.

  15. #55
    Loving on babies!
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Twin heaven!
    Posts
    11,727
    vCash
    1570
    Rep Power
    42922
    Wow. So nice to learn that you can "just get over" an actual medical condition, a chemical imbalance, etc. I suppose you can just get over yourself and "get over" diabetes as well, since really, all that is is another kind of chemical imbalance. WTF-ever is going on with Demi Moore, YOU are a clueless tool.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

  16. #56

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    10,728
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35336
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Been depressed. Had meds. Tossed them. Got over it (which really translates to got over myself) instead. ...If you've got time to be depressed, you have too much free time.
    Well, isn't that fine and dandy for you. You are definitely one of the rare ones. I sure wish that my grandfather had been able to "get over himself" instead of putting a gun to his head. I guess trying to make a go by himself of a failing farm left him "too much free time." No matter what Demi Moore's real problems might be, reading comments like yours about depression make be so .

  17. #57

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    9,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Just a random bit of info to add to the mix here: I met someone a few years back who knew someone who worked for the actress Heather Graham. She said it was quite an eye opener to hear what her life was like - way more work and stress that one might think for a successful celebrity.
    Heather Graham is a successful celebrity?

  18. #58

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    9,952
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Been depressed. Had meds. Tossed them. Got over it (which really translates to got over myself) instead. Had an eating disorder. I deal with it. If you've got time to be depressed, you have too much free time. Get over it and accept life isn't about rainbows and butterflies and constant positive affirmations. You can't drug your way to happy, prescribed or otherwise. People who make millions (and REALLY? Having to keep fit and audition for roles is hardship? Oh, please. I'd like to have 2-3 hours a day again to exercise like in school, but I'm a grown-up now.) for being good-looking and able to remember lines (which is most Hollywood actors) really don't have much to complain about. If it's so hard, there are 1001 actors REALLY having to work those auditions and network who would love to take their place while they recouperate.

    Considering that with some of their paychecks they could retire by investing what they earn for one movie and live a modest private life for the next fifty years while still being comfortable and quite generous to charity, no one is holding a gun to their head making them live the celebrity lifestyle. You chose to swim in the shark tank, you get bit.
    Wow. How nice of you to be so non-judgemental and empathetic.


  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the other FSU
    Posts
    3,687
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Been depressed. Had meds. Tossed them. Got over it (which really translates to got over myself) instead. Had an eating disorder. I deal with it. If you've got time to be depressed, you have too much free time. Get over it and accept life isn't about rainbows and butterflies and constant positive affirmations.
    Yeah, uh....you weren't really depressed. Actual depression will involve an imbalance in several neurotransmitters and this often has a strong genetic component. A big hint that you may have such an imbalance is to have several close relatives who have killed themselves or attempted to. Did you try to tell them to get over themselves?

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    23,863
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    Yeah, uh....you weren't really depressed.
    In fairness, depression can be real without necessarily involving medication. I know a lot of people who really suffer from depression, but treat it naturally without drugs.

    http://depression.about.com/cs/altme.../Naturally.htm

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •