Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    The OT was about skaters who appeared in movies, thread drift (that FSU affliction, oh dear!) morphed it into skaters who appeared in TV series, so here goes it: What Olympic Silver Medalist hosted Saturday Night Live, and made a field day with take-offs on "This is the corniest thing I've ever done".

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    ^Nancy Kerrigan.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    Didn´t Tara had a main character in a movie? It was something with Angel in the title i think. The other main character was Nicholle Tom from "The Nanny". It was even shown on German TV!!! But I guess it was a made for TV movie, not for cinema. If that counts, then Tanja Szewczenko also played a main character in a German TV movie called "Kasachstan Lady". And she was in severall German TV soaps as a main character. Right now she´s a police woman...

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I know this is a bit of a tangent, but Dorothy Hamill appeared as herself in an episode of Different Strokes. She played Kimberley Drummond's skating coach.

vCash
    since you guys are including television now, michelle also appeared in 2 episodes of the simpsons, family guy, MTV's made, arthur, wow wow wubzy, and sabrina the teenage witch.

her appearances on the simpsons were awesome lol.

she also starred in 3 disney produced prime time tv skating specials and then 1 in china

vCash
    Lots of Sonja Henie movies.

Boitano, Witt, and others in Carmen on Ice.

vCash

skaters in Blades of Glory

There's a huge list of real skaters who appeared in Blades of Glory at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blades_of_Glory. Some notable skating doubles include:
    Chad Brennan - Will Ferrell's skating double
    Ethan Burgess - Jon Heder's skating double
    Patrick Hancock - Will Arnett's skating double / Will Ferrell's skating double 2
    Tiffany Scott - Amy Poehler's skating double
    Todd Sand - Additional skating/Jon Heder

In OnEdge (2003), I believe there were cameos from Scott Hamilton and Kristi Yamaguchi.

And then there's the assortment of Sonia Henie movies from the 1930s and 1940s.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laney View Post
    Didn´t Tara had a main character in a movie? It was something with Angel in the title i think. The other main character was Nicholle Tom from "The Nanny".
    The movie is "Ice Angel".
    Tara @ 0218:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8lQIcxya7g
    And small info about her acting career:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005150/

vCash
    Sandra Bezic was in the Freshman with Marlon Brando - she played his skating coach and they do swing rolls together. Very nice.

Also Shae-Lynn Bourne played Amy Smart's skating double in last year's made for tv movie 12 Dates of Christmas.

Both of these movies were filmed in TO.

vCash
    If we're including TV, there was also Rudy Galindo in Will & Grace. "That little witch!"

vCash
    I don't know if she counts (due to somewhat early exit from FS) but I just saw Julie Benz on NCIS 2 nights ago.
    She's done pretty well in acting, and it's especially cool given how her first acting coach said she would never be successful as an actress!

"In an article in American Fitness, she credits her former ice rink days in giving her the discipline to take on her acting roles."

http://iwanttobedorothyhammillwhenig...kating-to.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geod2 View Post
    I don't know if she counts (due to somewhat early exit from FS) but I just saw Julie Benz on NCIS 2 nights ago.
    She's done pretty well in acting, and it's especially cool given how her first acting coach said she would never be successful as an actress!

"In an article in American Fitness, she credits her former ice rink days in giving her the discipline to take on her acting roles."

I love her. she may not be a star, but she's had a very respectable, successful tv career, playing pivotal characters on many noteworthy tv shows like buffy, angel and dexter
    I actually had no idea she was a figure skater until now!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    This was inspired by the "Dick Button's acting career" thread.

I started wondering how many other skaters appeared on the silver screen as actors (documentaries don't count)? Sonia Henie's movie career is pretty well known, I think (I saw 'Sun Valley serenade' on TV - may be 4-5 years ago).

Ilia Kulik appeared in Center Stage. I did not see that movie.

Michelle Kwan appeared as a commentator in the movie about the young girl figure skater. I can't remember the title.

Robin Cousins appeared as a commentator in The Cutting Edge. Was Judy Blumberg the other commentator in it? I don't remember.

What happened to Sasha Cohen's plans for a movie career?
    Our local cable provider recently broadcast "Center Stage". I watched because it was a 'ballet' movie and was surprized when Kulik popped up in a few scenes. He did well enough as ballet dancer "Sergei".

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTurtles View Post
    She was also in Bratz the movie.
    That's one Cohen bit part I hadn't heard of. I did see her in the CSI: NY episode-I'm a huge fan of the series.

Don't know if it was mentioned yet but Katarina Witt appeared briefly in "Jerry McGuire". I think she was one of McGuire's former clients.

Didn't Oksana/Pasha Grishuk have acting aspirations? Did she ever appear in anything?

vCash
    Pasha was apparently going to play the Witt role in Ronin but turned it down because of the Olympics. So that is why Witt was in the movie.

I would have preferred to see Pasha get shot rather than Witt.

Witt made an appearance in Jerry McGuire at the end where she was going to be a potential client.

Jo Carter made an appearance in an Australian series called "The Cut", as a figure skater promoting beer.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Pasha was apparently going to play the Witt role in Ronin but turned it down because of the Olympics. So that is why Witt was in the movie.

I would have preferred to see Pasha get shot rather than Witt.

Witt made an appearance in Jerry McGuire at the end where she was going to be a potential client.

Jo Carter made an appearance in an Australian series called "The Cut", as a figure skater promoting beer.
    'Pasha'

In a scene early on when Jerry's desperately trying to reach all of his clients I could swear he mentions 'Katarina' at some point-like she's on hold on the phone along with the others. But you could be right. I do remember the scene where Katarina congratulates Jerry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    I love her. she may not be a star, but she's had a very respectable, successful tv career, playing pivotal characters on many noteworthy tv shows like buffy, angel and dexter
    Yeah, Julie Benz is not exactly a household name in FS circles.
    Her figure skating career was cut short by a serious injury, but she and her ice dancing partner still were able to compete in the 1988 U.S. Nationals.

Given her determination to become a successful actress in spite of the discouraging comments by her acting coach at the time,
    I suspect she would have been quite successful in FS as well.

She has a number of movie credits as well as a long list of TV appearances.
    I thought it was interesting that she appeared with Sylvester Stalone in "Rambo" (spent 3 months in the jungles of Thailand on location).

http://www.yowazzup.com/2008_01_25/r...ie-review.html

From competing in ice dancing at U.S. Nationals to a serious role in a Rambo
    movie.....talk about opposite ends of the spectrum!

If we were to judge the eventual acting success of any skater who has competed at least once at their country's national championship level,
    Julie is the most successful figure skater of anyone at that level....except Sonia Henie, of course.

Last edited by geod2; 01-28-2012 at 05:18 AM.

vCash
    Didn't Baiul have a cameo in some series about a sports agent where she, on camera, thanked her agent for helping her out in good times and bad times? And there was an episode of "Alley McBeal" where the title character has a short skating segment, but it was a stand-in, and not Calista Flockhart.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    Ditto. I had no idea she was a skater! Loved her as Darla on Buffy & Angel.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Just remembered another one: Oksana Baiul had a guest role in some series called "Strong Medicine", where she played a figure skater who had epilepsy, and chose to go against her doctor's orders as his prescribed medicine would have upset her Olympic goals. Wasn't the best acting performance by her, but die-hard fans enjoyed it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geod2 View Post

If I am not mistaken, Julie Benz played the 'guidance counselor/FBI agent' in the TV series Roswell. She was pretty good. I had no idea she was a figure skater.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast