Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by honey View Post
    I live in Moncton and face it folks figure skating is just not as popular as it used to be. Years ago I attended the same event in that building and it was packed to the rafters. By the way the population of greater Moncton is 160,ooo people that does not include surrounding areas. If you look across this country attendance is down everywhere. It feels like a dying sport to me.
    By the way Moncton has attracted top name entertainment and sports events for example over 80 000 people attended concerts U2 , Rollling Stones, EAgles ACDC in last 5 yrs.
    MOncton has also hosted the World Junior IAAF Track and Field Championships, as well as 2
    Regular seasonal CFL Games in past 2 years These events attracted over 20 000 fans each.
    This is for the people who think Moncton should not hold National events
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    That's why people think that Moncton shouldn't hold National figure skating events.
    It does seem that if Moncton can draw crowds, but didn't for Nationals, then either figure skating is dying, or shouldn't have been held in Moncton. That raises two questions: how could figure skating be dying in a country that just hosted the Olympics and walked away with two figure skating medals? Second, if figure skating isn't dying in Canada, then why did Skate Canada decide to hold Nationals in a part of Canada that isn't interested in figure skating?

Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    But if you did, that was 7-10 years ago? BMO persisted sponsoring Skate Canada after that controversy ended. It's not why BMO stopped sponsoring SC the year after a successful Olympics for Skate Canada.
    True -- if this dust up happened almost a decade ago, its doubtful it's the reason the sponsorship ended.

vCash
    I live in Moncton and face it folks figure skating is just not as popular as it used to be. Years ago I attended the same event in that building and it was packed to the rafters. By the way the population of greater Moncton is 160,ooo people that does not include surrounding areas. If you look across this country attendance is down everywhere. It feels like a dying sport to me.
    By the way Moncton has attracted top name entertainment and sports events for example over 80 000 people attended concerts U2 , Rollling Stones, EAgles ACDC in last 5 yrs.
    MOncton has also hosted the World Junior IAAF Track and Field Championships, as well as 2
    Regular seasonal CFL Games in past 2 years These events attracted over 20 000 fans each.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    That's why people think that Moncton shouldn't hold National figure skating events.
    It does seem that if Moncton can draw crowds, but didn't for Nationals, then either figure skating is dying, or shouldn't have been held in Moncton. That raises two questions: how could figure skating be dying in a country that just hosted the Olympics and walked away with two figure skating medals? It's not like figure skating is an obscure winter sport. Second, if figure skating isn't dying in Canada, then why did Skate Canada decide to hold Nationals in a part of Canada that isn't interested in figure skating?

Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    But if you did, that was 7-10 years ago? BMO persisted sponsoring Skate Canada after that controversy ended. It's not why BMO stopped sponsoring SC the year after a successful Olympics for Skate Canada.
    True -- if this dust up happened almost a decade ago, its doubtful it's the reason the sponsorship ended.

ETA: I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here. Maybe next year Skate Canada will have lots of sponsorships and have people filling up the arena to watch events. It was just that watching Nats this year, it was a bit depressing with the sparse audience.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I guess it's just another example of amateurish operations at SC then.
    I'll second that.

Granted, 7-10 years ago, the awareness of privacy issues, especially within smaller organizations, wasn't as strong as it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    IThat raises two questions: how could figure skating be dying in a country that just hosted the Olympics and walked away with two figure skating medals? It's not like figure skating is an obscure winter sport. Second, if figure skating isn't dying in Canada, then why did Skate Canada decide to hold Nationals in a part of Canada that isn't interested in figure skating?
    It's possible that because of GPF, which is known in advance, not many cities bid. I hope they didn't choose Moncton in January because SC thought they had two different audiences (apart from the skaters' families).
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Well, I thought the event was well attended last year in Victoria. I don't buy the dying sport argument.

vCash
    Well, apart NHK, I think I recall empty sear here and there... AFAIR, I was surprised to see empty seats in SA and/or SC.
    Now at Euros the upper level on the small sides is empty too.

Time changes...

vCash
    This is the twenty first consecutive Nationals that I have attended and it was by the far the worst attendance so I'm not buying the dying sport notion either. Could one of the reasons be that there wasn't a single local skater in any discipline in the event? It's easier for the non fan to get interested if there's a local angle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatak View Post
    Well, apart NHK, I think I recall empty sear here and there... AFAIR, I was surprised to see empty seats in SA and/or SC.
    Now at Euros the upper level on the small sides is empty too.
    Skate America seldom has great attendance and no skating event is well attended when it's held in the afternoon on a workday. However the evening and weekend events at Skate Canada were pretty much packed and I'm told it was a sellout. It should be noted that blocks of prime seats are always given to the sponsors and it's been my experience that those seats are often empty, even though they were technically "sold".

vCash
    The one thing that has changed in the last 5 years is the cost of the flights in Canada, plus gas. The tickets haven't gone up, so I'd pin it to travel costs. For us westerners, flights going east are always more expensive than going farther west or south.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boomermama View Post
    This is the twenty first consecutive Nationals that I have attended and it was by the far the worst attendance so I'm not buying the dying sport notion either. Could one of the reasons be that there wasn't a single local skater in any discipline in the event? It's easier for the non fan to get interested if there's a local angle.
    IIRC Kelsey McNeil trains (or used to train) just up the road from Moncton.

However, she's hardly a contender.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boomermama View Post
    I don't understand the contradiction in your post.

You say this was the worst-attended Nationals ever, but then you say that it doesn't reflect on the decline of the sport.

vCash
    The major difference between the these events and Nationals is that all the other events were MEGA-publicized throughout the region. You would have had to been dead not to know, anywhere in the Maritimes, that these events were happening in Moncton. It was completely clear when the event would be held, how to get tickets etc.

As for Nationals.....zippo publicity.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    I don't understand the contradiction in your post.

You say this was the worst-attended Nationals ever, but then you say that it doesn't reflect on the decline of the sport.
    But Skate Canada was well attended, as was the GPF. And nationals last year. A nationals in a small market town during bad weather, where there may or may not have been good publicity doesn't mean the sport is dying.

I think we can all agree that skating does not attract the crowds that it did for the 10 years or so of the 1990s. But those years were not "normal". During the 1970s and 80s the crowds were probably smaller than they are now. Skating wasn't "dying" then, and it isn't now.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    But Skate Canada was well attended, as was the GPF. And nationals last year. A nationals in a small market town during bad weather, where there may or may not have been good publicity doesn't mean the sport is dying.
    Exactly, ITA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skategal View Post
    The major difference between the these events and Nationals is that all the other events were MEGA-publicized throughout the region. You would have had to been dead not to know, anywhere in the Maritimes, that these events were happening in Moncton. It was completely clear when the event would be held, how to get tickets etc.

As for Nationals.....zippo publicity.
    Part of the mega-publicity at the beginning was that the papers, TV, radio all ran front page/lead stories on these events because they were news - it wasn't due to any PR effort by the organizers. Then after that the PR budgets of the organizers kicked in - I imagine the ad spend was 10 times the total cost of everything for Canadians. Theses events were selling $ 100-200 tickets times 20000-50000 attendees. Whole 'nother snack bracket...

Not totally zippo. There were ads in the Saint John paper quite often leading up to it. Don't know what was on TV, I don't watch a lot of TV.

Watch me move
    vCash
    U2, the Rolling Stones, the Eagles and AC/DC have much more drawing power and potential audience interest than pretty much any figure skating event ever. So the fact that people will go to those shows in Moncton IMHO really doesn't say that much about people in Moncton's willingness to go to figure skating events.

Also, those shows were all outdoor shows in the summer. There may be a lot of people who aren't so much interested in the act as they are in sitting in the sun and drinking beer with some great live music going on in the background. Those people may shell out $$$ for that kind of experience but probably aren't very interested in sitting indoors in an arena in winter.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    If people could not fork out $150, how does SC hope to collect $1000-1500 per ticket for the World next year? Those who may be in the know: do you think the Worlds are likely to be well attended? I normally wait until the very end to get tickets, but since the event is in Canada, which I thought filled its arenas, I was tempted to buy ASAP, but I guess, I'd wait and see again.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganaLefay View Post
    If people could not fork out $150, how does SC hope to collect $1000-1500 per ticket for the World next year? Those who may be in the know: do you think the Worlds are likely to be well attended? I normally wait until the very end to get tickets, but since the event is in Canada, which I thought filled its arenas, I was tempted to buy ASAP, but I guess, I'd wait and see again.
    Worlds will sell out and sell out quickly, I think. The arena is not huge, and London events tend to be very well attended. And it is a world championships- lots of seats will be reserved for officials and sponsors.

As several people have pointed out, it was not the price of the tickets that kept people away from Moncton. And the arena WAS quite well attended for the weekend events.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    Part of the mega-publicity at the beginning was that the papers, TV, radio all ran front page/lead stories on these events because they were news - it wasn't due to any PR effort by the organizers. Then after that the PR budgets of the organizers kicked in - I imagine the ad spend was 10 times the total cost of everything for Canadians. Theses events were selling $ 100-200 tickets times 20000-50000 attendees. Whole 'nother snack bracket...

Not totally zippo. There were ads in the Saint John paper quite often leading up to it. Don't know what was on TV, I don't watch a lot of TV.
    I watch some shows on timeshift on both Eastern CTV and CBC. I saw lots of commercials for Canadians over the past few months.

vCash
    Interesting. I don't know if one has anything to do with the other - but FYI the Skate Canada affiliate BMO Mastercard "is concluding" (and the card design won't be offered as of January 6, 2012 from my December statement).

I'm not a Skate Canada member or a skater, just a fan, but I got this card a year ago (who wouldn't want figure skaters on their credit card?)

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Well, I thought the event was well attended last year in Victoria. I don't buy the dying sport argument.
    Victoria in January vs. Moncton in January. Plus there still is residual Olympics feeling, at least in BC, and it was the last of the critical mass of skating events held here. Victoria Nationals were like a fix for skating fans in the region.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast