Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Very true. A neighbor of my bil's is going to the oiler's hockey game in Edm. $200 plus for one ticket, not including the travel and hotels.

So it's not the ticket cost or even the travel expense, it's probably...........weather, no interest, (insert your idea).

vCash
    I think the cost and location have a lot to do with it. As googooeys pointed out, it's a lot even for folks in Ontario.

Add to that, Moncton doesn't have a large enough population base to guarantee a large local attendance, as is the case for larger cities or cities in Southern Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by googooeyes
    The popularity of skating has little to do with the empty seats. As someone who often goes to Canadians and is a pretty average person, my reaction to hearing that Canadians was in Moncton, when it was announced, was a let down: 'ohhh, Moncton, I don't think I will want to go'. Airfare to Moncton from Toronto for 2 people is $1200.00 -$1500.00 return because it is a small place and there is less volume of flights. (even more from further away in Canada)Then add maybe $800.00 for a hotel for 4 nights + meals and then $300.00 for two tickets, it adds up to nearly $3000.00 for a long weekend in Moncton in winter. The skating competition is always great and you will spend that anyway but the appeal of spending it Moncton just isn't very strong. You could have a nice little trip to England or the Caribbean instead)
    Moncton is a nice peaceful small city with nothing major to see or do. It is a bit depressed right now. There is talk that there is a plan to close the one big department store downtown 'The Bay' soon. Going to the maritimes is never cheap or easy and I think most skating fans would save their money and wait to see where the competition will be next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I think the cost and location have a lot to do with it. As googooeys pointed out, it's a lot even for folks in Ontario.

Add to that, Moncton doesn't have a large enough population base to guarantee a large local attendance, as is the case for larger cities or cities in Southern Ontario.
    So far I've read that Moncton has bad weather this time of year, the local population is not big enough to guarantee attendance, it's very expensive to fly there, there's nothing else to do, etc. So why did Skate Canada hold Nats there? Did they make money off the event by having it in Moncton? Are there going to be a surge of new sponsorships or skaters because of holding it there?

I understand the desire to hold Nats in different parts of Canada, but obviously not every event is feasible everywhere. Maybe Moncton would have been better suited for a smaller competition?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    SC has an official pudding! Geez, what more do you people want

Well, here's the list of Skate Canada sponsors from their website:
    http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/abou...rpartners.aspx

I had heard some of the same things about the relationship between SC and BMO. But some other stuff happened too, at least at the start of the sponsorship. I don't know how accurate this story is, but what I was told that when BMO became a sponsor it expected that SC hand over the contact info of all SC members so that BMO could send their parents info on its financial programs, add their phone nos. to call centre lists to pitch its products via telemarketing, etc.

I don't know if SC promised this would be done, or if BMO demanded it after the deal was made, but allegedly some skaters' parents got wind of this plan and (quite rightly) told SC that they had not agreed when they joined SC to have their personal information given to third parties without their consent. And SC and/or BMO backed down.
    You've jogged my memory. Six, seven? years ago? BMO sent what looked like preapproved credit card applications for their Skate Canada branded Mastercard out to coaches. What the heck I said, and filled it in. I was rejected because self-employed seasonal skating coaches are apparently not a good credit risk. The solicitation info came directly from Skate Canada, when I called BMO after being rejected for what was not a pre-approved offer.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I don't know if SC promised this would be done, or if BMO demanded it after the deal was made, but allegedly some skaters' parents got wind of this plan and (quite rightly) told SC that they had not agreed when they joined SC to have their personal information given to third parties without their consent. And SC and/or BMO backed down.
    If by personal information you mean name, mailing address and phone number, I don't understand what the big deal is.

We can't expect sponsors to provide funding and free publicity through their networks without offering something in return. The value of what BMO could offer (placement in all their branches, mailings to their customers, tv advertising etc) far exceeds the value of one mailing list, and I really don't think it's too much to ask.

I'm not a member of SC, but if I was I would have no problem with getting a few mailings or a phone call, knowing that it's in exchange for their support of my sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    If by personal information you mean name, mailing address and phone number, I don't understand what the big deal is.

We can't expect sponsors to provide funding and free publicity through their networks without offering something in return. The value of what BMO could offer (placement in all their branches, mailings to their customers, tv advertising etc) far exceeds the value of one mailing list, and I really don't think it's too much to ask.

I'm not a member of SC, but if I was I would have no problem with getting a few mailings or a phone call, knowing that it's in exchange for their support of my sport.
    Same here. But some people absolutely freak out if they get one email (or piece of junk mail) that they haven't specifically requested.

I notice now when I join some group they have a check box on the form to agree/disagree to get marketing or other mailings from the group or their partners.

There's a Canadian law that now says you have to get consent from your customers to send them emails. Someone in our genealogy group thinks that will apply to us as well, I think if we put a check box on our membership form people will check no automatically then they will complain when they don't get their meeting notices...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luna_skater View Post
    I thought I heard the facility has 8 rinks in total?
    I wouldn't be surprised, it has quite a few. I was thinking of the number of ice surfaces I saw in use for the challenge. There are also indoor soccer facilities there, oh and a Tim's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    There's a Canadian law that now says you have to get consent from your customers to send them emails. Someone in our genealogy group thinks that will apply to us as well, I think if we put a check box on our membership form people will check no automatically then they will complain when they don't get their meeting notices...
    If you put two check boxes, one for marketing mail and one for meeting notices, some people may actually read it and check one and not the other. No guarantees though.

vCash
    The big deal is Canadian privacy law (federal and provincial). If you sign up as a member of an organization, that organization can't release any of your personal information to a third party without your explicit consent.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

From the Bloc
    vCash
    The big deal is Canadian privacy law (federal and provincial). If you sign up as a member of an organization, that organization can't release any of your personal information to a third party without your explicit consent.
    Sure, but as people have pointed out, SC could have set up an opt out option. A mailing or newsletter story or website notice (or however they communicate with members) could have explained that in return for their support of SC, the sponsor has asked to share news and offers directly with membership, and anyone who doesn't want to receive it could have been stricken from the list that SC would provide to BMO.

I know a lot of people really freak about the idea that anyone has any info about them at all, but the fact is it's no more than can be found in a telephone directory, other than that the person is also a member of SC. Is that something so private it must be protected at all costs? And from an established, credible Canadian organization no less - not exactly some eville big brother outfit.

I think that those who objected to the program might want to think a bit more big picture, because if this is the key point that killed the BMO-SC relationship, it seems rather petty to me. One would think that SC members would understand the importance of retaining a major sponsor - and the many benefits that come with it in return for a very small concession on the part of the individual - and support it.

vCash
    I live in Moncton and face it folks figure skating is just not as popular as it used to be. Years ago I attended the same event in that building and it was packed to the rafters. By the way the population of greater Moncton is 160,ooo people that does not include surrounding areas. If you look across this country attendance is down everywhere. It feels like a dying sport to me.

vCash
    By the way Moncton has attracted top name entertainment and sports events for example over 80 000 people attended concerts U2 , Rollling Stones, EAgles ACDC in last 5 yrs.
    MOncton has also hosted the World Junior IAAF Track and Field Championships, as well as 2
    Regular seasonal CFL Games in past 2 years These events attracted over 20 000 fans each.
    This is for the people who think Moncton should not hold National events

vCash
    I live in Moncton and face it folks figure skating is just not as popular as it used to be. Years ago I attended the same event in that building and it was packed to the rafters. By the way the population of greater Moncton is 160,ooo people that does not include surrounding areas. If you look across this country attendance is down everywhere. It feels like a dying sport to me.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash

It's huge deal in the direct marketing privacy realm if an organization collecting personal information -- a big deal to a lot of people -- doesn't disclose that it will release the info to any outside group for whatever reason and allow a member to opt out or, alternately, to ask them actively to opt in.

I don't know what SC's disclaimers were when information was collected then, but if there was no disclosure when the info was gathered and no active disclosure when the terms changed, with an option to opt out -- which can include "if you opt out you can no longer be part of our org/use or services or credit card or Google account, etc." -- then the members have every reason to protest.

Active opt in means fewer names, but at least people have decided on their own that it's good for the organization, and they are willing to help that way.

Quote Originally Posted by honey View Post
    By the way Moncton has attracted top name entertainment and sports events for example over 80 000 people attended concerts U2 , Rollling Stones, EAgles ACDC in last 5 yrs.
    MOncton has also hosted the World Junior IAAF Track and Field Championships, as well as 2
    Regular seasonal CFL Games in past 2 years These events attracted over 20 000 fans each.
    This is for the people who think Moncton should not hold National events
    That's why people think that Moncton shouldn't hold National figure skating events.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash

But if you did, that was 7-10 years ago? BMO persisted sponsoring Skate Canada after that controversy ended. It's not why BMO stopped sponsoring SC the year after a successful Olympics for Skate Canada.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    But if you did, that was 7-10 years ago? BMO persisted sponsoring Skate Canada after that controversy ended. It's not why BMO stopped sponsoring SC the year after a successful Olympics for Skate Canada.
    The discussion was based on one poster's suggestion that there were issues between SC and BMO, and marketing to their members was one of them.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    How long was the sponsorship for?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Sure, but as people have pointed out, SC could have set up an opt out option.
    But they didn't, and that is the key point. As I understand it, the first the members knew about the arrangement was when they started getting solicitation calls from BMO. So someone handed over the members' information without any consultation with the membership. And because there was no opt-out option provided on registration, or no notification that the policy on sharing information was changing, sharing the information is illegal under Canadian privacy law.

This has nothing to do with SC members not wanting to support sponsors. It's about what SC does (or did) with its membership information.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I guess it's just another example of amateurish operations at SC then.

vCash
    Sure, but as people have pointed out, SC could have set up an opt out option. A mailing or newsletter story or website notice (or however they communicate with members) could have explained that in return for their support of SC, the sponsor has asked to share news and offers directly with membership, and anyone who doesn't want to receive it could have been stricken from the list that SC would provide to BMO.
    I remember BMO sending out of massive mailing to all SC members, most of whom are children, offering MasterCard. They were majorly embarassed and said that they were not trying to sell credit cards to under-aged subscribers and apologized for the fiasco.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast