Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I hate to say, but I do feel that SC is somewhat out of touch with reality, and with fans. The tide really turned for me a few years back in Halifax when they were supposed to honour B&K. It was handled so amateurishly that it was embarrassing, and certainly not worthy of the achievements, popularity and contributions to the sport made the Shae and Victor.
    It might explain why their official social media sites, like Skatebuzz and facebook, have a definite amateurish feeling and appearance.

vCash
    Not surprising -- sponsorship and marketing are nothing like they have been in the past. I too noticed the lack of advertisements on the boards (not that I love them in the first place, they are IMHO a necessary evil). I don't think they manage and promote these events as they should. It's sad -- because they have every reason post-Olympics, mens and dance champions, etc... to be bringing in the money and the fans... but that doesn't seem to be happening...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    It's not dirt cheap if you don't have a lot of disposable income.
    Nothing is dirt cheap if you don't have disposable income. That doesn't change the fact that $150 is a steal of a deal for what you get. Skate Canada and the LOC have to pay expenses too.

Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    The Evraz centre in Regina was a test. The Hershey centre hasn't worked out so well for the skaters competing in the challenge. Airfare to Regina isn't a thrill, but the cost of the accommodation and the travel in the city is a lot more reasonable. The Evraz had I believe 4 rinks tied up under the same roof. Very easy for skaters and family to plan their days to be at.
    I thought I heard the facility has 8 rinks in total?

vCash
    I definitely noticed the large sections of absent seats. It may reflect what some are saying is a declining interest in skating over the past decade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luna_skater View Post
    Nothing is dirt cheap if you don't have disposable income. That doesn't change the fact that $150 is a steal of a deal for what you get. Skate Canada and the LOC have to pay expenses too.
    $150 IS a total steal compared to U.S. Nationals. The cheapest all-event tickets for U.S. Nationals are usually in the $250-300 range, and some years they've been as high as $500. In the past, it's been cheaper for me to fly from the U.S. to Canada for Canadian Nationals than to attend U.S. Nationals. It's also remarkable that the ticket prices really haven't increased over the last 10+ years--I remember reading several years ago that one of Skate Canada's goals is to keep the ticket prices down so that people can still afford to attend. IMO, for entertainment options, you can't find a better value for the price than Canadian Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    I definitely noticed the large sections of absent seats. It may reflect what some are saying is a declining interest in skating over the past decade.
    There appeared to be a lot of interest in skating in Canada after the Olympics. Trouble is, Skate Canada didn't capitalize on that interest.

vCash
    The Evraz centre in Regina was a test. The Hershey centre hasn't worked out so well for the skaters competing in the challenge. Airfare to Regina isn't a thrill, but the cost of the accommodation and the travel in the city is a lot more reasonable. The Evraz had I believe 4 rinks tied up under the same roof. Very easy for skaters and family to plan their days to be at.

Not sure I agree with this. Hershey Centre also has 4 rinks, and uses them all for competition. They run a very good event. There are MANY hotels in and around Mississauga and Toronto at affordable rates. Toronto is the biggest flight hub in Canada, so it's a direct flight for many around the country. It's also easier to get last minute deals. The weather in late November and early December is generally a whole lot better in Ontario than Regina. Mississauga is also within driving distance of a ton of skaters from Detroit to Quebec City to Thunder Bay. Regina is in the middle of no where, and is VERY expensive to fly even from Toronto. Pretty much everyone has to fly. There are no last minute deals. WestJet from any other regional airports besides Toronto requires stop overs. Hershey Centre draws a decent audience, and there was almost nothing in Regina. Just in revenue for ticket sales it would make it worthwhile for Skate Canada. In terms of other things to see, well, there is a ton to do withn 90 minutes of Hershey Centre - Niagara Falls, Toronto, Barrie.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    The streaming is definitely keeping me from considering going to Nationals any time soon. I would love to go and meet all the FSU friends I have made but the actual skating is almost secondary at this point. I can pay a minimal price to IceNetwork and watch ALL the skating and catch the rest on cable. It is far better than nose bleed seats and the last time I checked, an All Event ticket at US Nationals was outrageous. The Canadian price seemed much better but why bother with all the traveling and costs when the streaming feed is so good?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maggylyn View Post
    It might explain why their official social media sites, like Skatebuzz and facebook, have a definite amateurish feeling and appearance.
    I've got the feeling that a lot of the officials at Skate Canada have their heads up their a*ses, and really don't know what they're doing, as previous posters here have mentioned, a lot of what Skate Canada is being run by are previous skaters who have never really had the kind of experience that is really needed to run the organization properly. Yes it's great to have the skating past there, but you need business experience as well in order to secure corporate partnerships and sponsorships needed for their events. If they don't figure that out, they could be a sinking ship a lot quicker than they think.
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    a lot of what Skate Canada is being run by are previous skaters who have never really had the kind of experience that is really needed to run the organization properly.
    Someone up thread asked how Skate Canada functions and this raises that very question. If it's being run by people without the proper experience, how did they get these jobs? Is there a board of directors that does the hiring? Does the outgoing president choose the incoming one?

All of a sudden I have all sorts of questions about this. Are the USFS and SC governed on similar models?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luna_skater View Post
    I don't disagree that it's a good price for the amount of event you get in return, and it's an exceptionally good deal compared to tickets for other national championships cost.

But that's like saying that a Tiffany ring is a good deal in comparison to a Bulgari ring. If I can't afford either, it doesn't make any difference how good a deal it is.

And yes, as I said upthread, I do realize that SC and the organizers have expenses to cover. But it's bad planning if nothing else to put your event in a market where the cost you have to charge to cover your expenses is more than the market may be prepared to pay.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    The popularity of skating has little to do with the empty seats. As someone who often goes to Canadians and is a pretty average person, my reaction to hearing that Canadians was in Moncton, when it was announced, was a let down: 'ohhh, Moncton, I don't think I will want to go'. Airfare to Moncton from Toronto for 2 people is $1200.00 -$1500.00 return because it is a small place and there is less volume of flights. (even more from further away in Canada)Then add maybe $800.00 for a hotel for 4 nights + meals and then $300.00 for two tickets, it adds up to nearly $3000.00 for a long weekend in Moncton in winter. The skating competition is always great and you will spend that anyway but the appeal of spending it Moncton just isn't very strong. You could have a nice little trip to England or the Caribbean instead)
    Moncton is a nice peaceful small city with nothing major to see or do. It is a bit depressed right now. There is talk that there is a plan to close the one big department store downtown 'The Bay' soon. Going to the maritimes is never cheap or easy and I think most skating fans would save their money and wait to see where the competition will be next year.

vCash
    Might some here suffer from the Mitt Romney syndrome?

vCash
    And what is that? (I don't follow the US primaries in great detail).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Might some here suffer from the Mitt Romney syndrome?
    And what is that? (I don't follow the US primaries in great detail).
    I do, but I have no idea what "Mitt Romney Syndrome" might be. The ability to wear nice suits well?
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    My DH works in economic development and tourism is one of his areas. Every time I take him to a SC event, he spends the whole time shaking his head and saying that he doesn't understand why the event isn't marketed better and why SC doesn't partner with economic development and tourism agencies to promote the event and the city/region where the event is held.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I do, but I have no idea what "Mitt Romney Syndrome" might be. The ability to wear nice suits well?
    A lack of understanding of the common man, e.g., the willingness to challenge random people to $10,000 bets?
    Creating drama!

vCash
    What, do I have to show my income tax returns before I can enter the arena? Can I get to fire people? I want to fire TSN and CTV!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    A lack of understanding of the common man, e.g., the willingness to challenge random people to $10,000 bets?
    Ahh thanks.

I don't know if it's that. I think all sports are having trouble getting sponsorship dollars. Just off the cuff - we have a lot of niche sports looking for money in a country where hockey is supreme. We're in a semi recession so companies are tightening their belts, so the dollars aren't flowing as freely. And then you have fs where most of the skaters are coming from the east where the pinch is really felt. The west has the money, but they're probably funding hockey or skiing.

(shrug) ymmv

vCash
    Well - if they can sell concert tickets on Magnetic Hill for $100 for a 2 hour concert (surrounded by drunk people), I really don't think disposable income is the issue here.

The issue is that people aren't that interested in going to watch live figure skating now as they were 10 years ago. If they had charged $50 for the entire weekend, I doubt that attendance would have been that different.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast