Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    The streaming is definitely keeping me from considering going to Nationals any time soon. I would love to go and meet all the FSU friends I have made but the actual skating is almost secondary at this point. I can pay a minimal price to IceNetwork and watch ALL the skating and catch the rest on cable. It is far better than nose bleed seats and the last time I checked, an All Event ticket at US Nationals was outrageous. The Canadian price seemed much better but why bother with all the traveling and costs when the streaming feed is so good?
    Because TV is a lousy way to watch skating. Once you've sat in the first row at a major event with no commentators yammering over the music, watching the event on TV at home is not going to do it for you. Add to that the opportunity to congratulate the skaters in person, and of seeing friends you only see at skating events some of whom you've known since your adult children were in public shool and TV is a really poor substitute.

Every time Megi and I go on a skating trip, on the way home we say "Best skating trip EVER!" and we mean it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Because TV is a lousy way to watch skating. Once you've sat in the first row at a major event with no commentators yammering over the music, watching the event on TV at home is not going to do it for you.
    I may be the exception but I enjoy watching on TV as much as watching live, even though it's not the same. At home is just more relaxing: the couch is more comfortable than an arena seat, I can record and watch at a convenient time, there's no need to be anywhere at a certain time, no need to travel anywhere near or far, no need prepare for a day at the arena. And since Mr. Japanfan watches with me, I have company. We make a date of it often and make a nice meal, have drinks. Watching Worlds on TV is an event for me even if I stay home, and I make a bit of holiday out of it. Plus, I often like the commentating and fluff.

What I like most about attending events live is the atmosphere and hanging out with FSUers.

But I'm fortunate that I enjoy it on TV as well, since I can't afford to go to a lot of competitions live.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Because TV is a lousy way to watch skating. Once you've sat in the first row at a major event with no commentators yammering over the music, watching the event on TV at home is not going to do it for you. Add to that the opportunity to congratulate the skaters in person, and of seeing friends you only see at skating events some of whom you've known since your adult children were in public shool and TV is a really poor substitute.

Every time Megi and I go on a skating trip, on the way home we say "Best skating trip EVER!" and we mean it.
    Exactly. When I think of the places I have been and the friends I have met from all over the world at skating events- I fell I am so lucky to have skating in my life. I've been to Warsaw, St John's, Colorado Springs, Moscow, Dortmund, Gothenberg among others- places I would probably not have visited without the excuse of a skating event. Each one was interesting and unique in its own way, and fun for the place, the people and the atmosphere. Even suburban Mississauga has its charms when you are there with a group of friends.

I know that I am lucky, and that not everyone can travel that much. But live events have an atmosphere to them that TV cannot capture. And the friends you meet at them carry over into other parts of ones life. It's more than spending money and sitting in an arena.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    For me, the biggest revelation of attending a skating event live was the speed and power these skaters have. It really doesn't translate to T.V. The first event I ever had rink side seating at had Elvis Stojko in it. I will never forget how amazed I was a the wind coming from him as he spun right in front of me. I had no idea they spun so fast from watching T.V. I was also amazed to see how muscular Surya Bonaly was up close. The level of detail in the costumes was quite a revelation in person too. There really is nothing like attending a live event!

vCash
    if you can get those good ticket, then i'm sure it's better. how do you get those good seats?

vCash
    I got the crappiest of crappiest seats at the Olympics. CTV showed all the skaters (which I'm thankful of). I'm still glad I got to see it live. It doesn't compare.

Anyways, it's not an either/or situation. I don't buy that complete tv coverage adversely affects ticket sales.

vCash
    I don't think it's an either/or situation either. I agree, I love to watch figure skating. Sometimes I'm happy to watch it at home when I don't have to travel in inclimate weather or hard to get to venues.

Live figure skating is special. You do get to appreciate the little things that don't translate well.

vCash
    When Patrick went into his opening pose for the LP, the crowd went totally, absolutely silent. That's something that doesn't translate onto TV (usually because Rob Black is saying "The crowd goes quiet" )

TV coverage has its advantages, if the camera work is decent, and the commentary is not too annoying. Those two provisos don't occur too often these days...

vCash
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who watches an event live and then goes home to watch it again on TV. Best of both worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    if you can get those good ticket, then i'm sure it's better. how do you get those good seats?
    One of our group sits on the internet and buys them the moment they go on sale. We also "upgrade" to unused sponsor seats and there's usually a lot of them. We were watching the SP at Canadians on TV and my husband looked at all of the empty front row seats and said "look at all of those upgrades!".

vCash
    The only TV that compares to live skating is CBC Bold HD. It is SO good. It is the next best thing to being there yourself.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    Definitely in that area, Colorado, Nebraska, Washington, Oregon.......they're all good.

If I would have been on the ball last year, I would have bought tix for worlds in England. The price of flights from Calgary to there is $79 plus all the airport taxes etc which push it up to about $670 return. Drat.
    Oh duh..........I meant Nice. Can you tell where my mind was?

vCash
    I would also like to say that the cost of flying to smaller Canadian cities is very discouraging. When you can fly to Europe cheaper than you can fly to New Brunswick, there is something seriously wrong with the level of airport tax being paid to land planes in smaller centres.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    When Patrick went into his opening pose for the LP, the crowd went totally, absolutely silent. That's something that doesn't translate onto TV (usually because Rob Black is saying "The crowd goes quiet" )
    Actually, he is probably sharing some horrible cliche like "this guy's future is as bright as the sun on a California day." He drove me crazy this year with his comments...

My favorite was when he compared Tessa's mistake in the short dance to missing an empty net and Tracy had to say "not an empty net, what they are doing is incredibly difficult." I loved it when she corrected him -- on more than a few occasions...

But, I only caught one mention of "the kind of the quad" - Elvis Stojko. I found that to be quite restrained.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    (usually because Rob Black is saying "The crowd goes quiet" )
    One of the best things about watching skating live is that you can hear the music without hearing Rod Black. I wish there were a way to mute him on the tv and still hear the music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    One of the best things about watching skating live is that you can hear the music without hearing Rod Black. I wish there were a way to mute him on the tv and still hear the music.
    After watching NBC coverage this weekend, i have to say that I will take Rod Black over Scott Hamilton any day!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
    Actually, he is probably sharing some horrible cliche like "this guy's future is as bright as the sun on a California day." He drove me crazy this year with his comments...

My favorite was when he compared Tessa's mistake in the short dance to missing an empty net and Tracy had to say "not an empty net, what they are doing is incredibly difficult." I loved it when she corrected him -- on more than a few occasions...

But, I only caught one mention of "the kind of the quad" - Elvis Stojko. I found that to be quite restrained.
    I know!! My Mom even turned to me during the Men's Free Skate and asked me if Rod was sick because of the lack of the Elvis gushing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kates8 View Post
    After watching NBC coverage this weekend, i have to say that I will take Rod Black over Scott Hamilton any day!
    No kidding. There is nothing worse than a commentator who tries to inject himself into the performance. And when he gets excited, his voice rises and he squeals. It's very distracting.

vCash
    I will take NBC's coverage. How many men's free programs did they show? Ten? TSN showed five so they can show Amelie LaCoste for the 50th time.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567