Crazy Russian Tundra
    vCash

Appeal to ISU re broadcasting issues?

I just wondered while doing scores for ladies - is there any chance for us to appeal to ISU regarding the broadcasting issues?

Firstly, this question would have never passed through my mind last season. But this season ISU did really a great job modernizing itself and I am personally very grateful for that - we have now a good opportunity to watch ISU JGP events without any problems, all the news are now on Facebook and Twitter - thanks!

But.

How about ISU rethinks its policy regarding selling the rights for Euros and Worlds to broadcasters?

Is this okay when some companies like Eurosport by full package (prelims+main events) and show nothing? Is this okay when other companies buy full package but show only main events or selection of main events according to their own taste? As a result the amount and quality of the broadcasts changes so much from country to country that in one place you can watch everything, in another - nothing at all, although the rights for that country were bought in full.

Why doesn't ISU consider dividing the package: instead of selling one full package, sell two - one for prelims and another for main events? And after that, looking at which package was bought in which country, change the geoblock conditions on their pay channel? E.g. country X bought main events, but not prelims - than prelims will be available for this country on the pay channel. Country Y bought both packages, so nothing available for them on the pay channel. Is that so difficult? Or may be there any problems I'm not aware of?

The same goes for GP events (not JGP). Eurosport is not doing good job with GP series and it is nothing short of a miracle that in Russia we have quite a good opportunity this season to watch GP, but that won't last for long, I think. Why not stop selling exclusive rights to the broadcasters who don't care about it? Or create some competition between Eurosport and ISU pay channel for GP events?

I'm pretty sure lots of FSUers would be willing to pay to watch ISU pay channel and lots of other figure skating fans too.

I just wonder what other FSUers think on this issue.

vCash
    I probably wouldn't mind paying for an ISU channel if it meant I could watch the entire season - GPs, GPF, Euros, 4CCs, Worlds. It would mean I wouldn't have to faff around every competition for streams because nowhere in Australia televises FS.

They could do a deal with the feds and run an optional "Nationals package" - buy coverage of your favourite Nationals for $5 extra or something. Then I could buy Russian and Australian. Not that Australian even had cameras there this year.

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    I'd love to be able to pay to watch things live. I'm not sure how (or if) they divide the rights at all right now, but the Swedish rights owner for Euros has decided to only show men and ladies (even cutting up the gala to eliminate pairs and dance!), which is driving most fans nuts, of course. I realize it's a rights issue, but I do wonder how long the current broadcast model is going to last, it seems to have outlived its usefulness in pretty much all areas of television as far as I can tell.

vCash
    Maybe it is a case of "beggars (the ISU) can't be choosers".

vCash
    I don't think the ISU cares what's shown and what isn't. As long as the broadcaster pays for the full rights, what does the ISU care?

It would be cool if the ISU could do paid on-demand streams after the event. Live would be better of course, but I guess that would cause too many issues with the broadcasters who pay for exclusive rights.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FarFarAway View Post
    Why doesn't ISU consider dividing the package: instead of selling one full package, sell two - one for prelims and another for main events?
    Wouldn't this result in potentially having twice as many camera crews, production trucks, broadcasting sets, etc. present? True, only "one group at a time" would be present for any particular event, but then you have the problem of having to switch back and forth (and move cameras in and out) since they alternate between short programs and free skates.

Perhaps a rights holder can be allowed to sell the broadcast rights to one or more of the rounds to another broadcasting company within its exclusivity region?

vCash
    Well as a European you have a double problem, not only are you excluded from major comp on the ISU channel, but you cannot access the icenetwork broadcasts for SGP and either....