Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one who didn't get the hype over this movie. I enjoyed it, but have no desire to repeat the viewings and don't get all the crazy love for it. I'm 100% behind the Melissa McCarthy love, as I've been a fan of hers since Gilmore Girls. But the movie itself is killed by the star/writer - Wiig. She was TOO pathetic and unlikeable. I couldn't root for her at all. And that scene at the engagement party drove me crazy too.
    100 PERCENT AGREE!!!! Melissa Mcarthy made that movie for me. Wiig's character was just *so* shrill, whiny, and unbearable. It was a fun movie for what it was, but agreed with Beefcake that it was just clumsy overall. It was just a female ripoff of "The Hangover", a VASTLY superior film. IMHO Melissa derserves her nom for sure, but I'm that it got nominated for anything else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    I agree. I never really liked Clooney because I thought he played himself but he was fabulous in Up in The Air. I was torn between him and Colin Firth as my favorite in the Oscars that year.

I thought he was also good in O Brother, Where Art Thou?
    I agree. I enjoy Clooney, but Brad Pitt, I think, has challenged himself more throughout his career and has picked more interesting roles. I would rather see both Michael Fassbender and Brad Pitt nominated over Clooney. I saw The Descendants and while I thought it was a fine film and Clooney was effective, the role did not seem that challenging for him.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I have also thought that Clooney is always playing Clooney. Either that or he always picks the same types of roles (with a few exceptions) and now that is how I think he is in real life. I just never see much risk or depth in his characters but I also think his movies are very boring and hardly ever (maybe never) go see them in theaters. I almost always wait to rent or catch it on cable.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    It wasn't until Up in the Air where I finally "got" Clooney. He is similar in many of his roles, but it's almost a throwback to Cary Grant or any of the classic Hollywood stars.

Btw, I loved Bridesmaids and I think Wiig and the film is really underrated (on this thread).
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I don't know. I haven't seen Moneyball, yet, so I can't comment on that. But I don't think I've ever really enjoyed Pitt. He comes across as fake to me. I've never left one of his movies thinking "Wow, he was fantastic!". Though I agree that he has picked more challenging roles than Clooney, I think Clooney comes across more natural than Pitt does, even if he tends to play himself.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    It wasn't until Up in the Air where I finally "got" Clooney. He is similar in many of his roles, but it's almost a throwback to Cary Grant or any of the classic Hollywood stars.

Btw, I loved Bridesmaids and I think Wiig and the film is really underrated (on this thread).
    Interesting that you cite Cary Grant, who was often described as "just playing himself". "Cary Grant" was quite a bit different from Archie Leach (Mr. Grant's real name), from everything I have read about his life.

I would love even now to be talented enough to play "Cary Grant".
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Same here. I know a lot of people on FSU are pulling for Pina, but the case of the West Memphis Three has been a major cause with Hollywood involvement, Johnny Depp and Peter Jackson being two of their major supporters.
    I was under the impression that Paradise Lost 3 was considered a lock for the win. I would love Pina to win, but I think even if it weren't up against such a major contender it would be (sadly) unlikely for a documentary about modern dance to win.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I really want to see Paradise Lost 3!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I really want to see Paradise Lost 3!
    I've seen the other two Paradise Lost films and have been waiting for what seems like forever to see the third installment. Given the events back in August with the court hearing and then with Echols, Baldwin, and Misskelley taking an Alford Plea that allowed them to be freed, the whole direction of the third movie ended up going in a completely different direction.

For those who aren't familiar with the case of the WM3, the first two Paradise Lost films are available for viewing on youtube. There is also a wealth of information about the case at WM3.org as well as wm3blackboard. Wikipedia has a detailed page about it (though as we know, it's not always the most factually accurate ).

I started following this case pretty much from the beginning (having been a member of the punk/goth community), and was appalled and disgusted with how the case and the trial were dealt with (to say nothing about how the community of West Memphis, AR reacted and behaved through the whole ordeal).

vCash
    Brad Pitt was excellent in 12 Monkeys. If you haven't seen, I highly recommend.

vCash
    I feel really stupid but I didn't realize Paradise Lost 3 was referring to a 3rd movie. I thought it had 3 in the title because 3 men were arrested. Now I have something to watch this weekend! This is the movie that Peter Jackson got attached to, right?
    -Brian

vCash
    I remember when there was so much talk about the Oscar competition between Morgan Freeman and Tom Cruise and then Daniel Day Lewis won. I wonder if all of the Clooney and Pitt talk might be premature considering the other three candidates.

vCash
    Well I don't know if the other candidates are so much of a risk as much as Clooney and Pitt may split votes.
    -Brian

vCash
    I hope A separation wins the best oscar for foreign language, I just love Iranian movies. I am now officially a fan of Leila Hatami

vCash
    I haven't seen The Descendants so I might change my mind after I see it, but I'm rooting for Jean Dujardin. He was wonderful in The Artist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I feel really stupid but I didn't realize Paradise Lost 3 was referring to a 3rd movie. I thought it had 3 in the title because 3 men were arrested. Now I have something to watch this weekend! This is the movie that Peter Jackson got attached to, right?
    I believe Jackson and Fran Walsh watched the first Paradise Lost film years after it came out and subsequently became involved in the case. They have their own documentary about it called West of Memphis, which recently premiered at Sundance. Damien Echols and his wife, Lorri Davis, also served as producers for West of Memphis.

vCash
    I finally saw Moneyball. I thought it was really good, but I don't get the Jonah Hill nomination. The entire movie I kept thinking how much Bradd Pitt is looking more and more like Robert Redford.

I really liked The Descendants. (I thought George Clooney did a very good job and wasn't the same as other characters he has played.) I would have nominated the actress who plays the oldest daughter over Jessica Chastain. But, I'm really glad that both Octavia Spencer and Melissa McCarthy got nominated.

I'm also glad to see Demian Bichir get some love. I thought he was so good in A Better Life.

The Artist and Iron Lady are next on my list of movies to see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I remember when there was so much talk about the Oscar competition between Morgan Freeman and Tom Cruise and then Daniel Day Lewis won. I wonder if all of the Clooney and Pitt talk might be premature considering the other three candidates.
    Really? In my neck of the woods no one mentioned Morgan Freeman at all; all the talk was about Daniel Day Lewis and Tom Cruise. I was not all surprised that DDL won.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I really liked The Descendants. (I thought George Clooney did a very good job and wasn't the same as other characters he has played.)
    I watched it last night and I loved it. And George Clooney was great in it.

There are two of his performances that I flat out adore now: Up in The Air, and The Descendants.

He's done good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I believe Jackson and Fran Walsh watched the first Paradise Lost film years after it came out and subsequently became involved in the case. They have their own documentary about it called West of Memphis, which recently premiered at Sundance. Damien Echols and his wife, Lorri Davis, also served as producers for West of Memphis.
    Thanks, this is the movie I want to see. I did watch the first 2 Paradise Lost films on youtube. I think the 3rd one is on youtube as well.
    -Brian

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast