Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    vCash
    Speaking of Best Film in Foreign Language category:
    I'm glad Israel's Hearat Shulayim/Footnote is nominated.
    I saw it few days ago, and loved it!
    It's the 10th Israeli movie to be nominated and the 4th one in the past 5 years.
    Joseph Cedar, Footnote's director, was nominated in 2008 as well for Beaufort.
    Israel has never won an Oscar, though.
    Who knows, maybe this year it will change.
    Last edited by Eden; 01-25-2012 at 02:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    It's the 10th Israeli movie to be nominated and the 4th one in the past 5 years.
    This is proof that EVILLE Jews don't only make matzo from the blood of unborn children, they also control Hollywood (and everything else).

Blergh
    vCash
    I think people are confusing the Best Song rule. Madonna's song wasn't ineligible because it was going to appear on her upcoming album but because it wasn't the first song cue during the ending credits. Her song starts 40 seconds into he ending credits. A song is ineligible if it had already appeared on an album prior to the film and if the song wasn't written specifically for the film. Also, Bruce Springsteen's son for the Wrestler was eligible, it just didn't get nominated.

About foreign performances, I think like ANY film (American or not), a nomination depends on awareness and publicity. There are many performances and films that get looked over due to lack of attention. Also, when the Academy nominates a foreign performance, those actors are from a pool of films that were released in the U.S., not every film released world-wide, so it's a bit more tangible.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I do think Bridesmaids should have gotten a Best Picture nomination. Now that there are more than 5 possible nominations, I see no reason to not give one nomination to the best comedy of the year. I don't feel it had any competition in the comedy category, so why not throw one nomination its way? Why is the best movie always a serious drama? That never bothered me before but Best Picture really is just a Best Drama award and rarely goes to anything else.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Blergh
    vCash
    It's like the old ordinal system. Movies have to have enough no. 1 and no. 2 votes from voting members to have a chance at a nomination. It could be possible that Bridesmaids had a lot of votes for the 5th slot or above but just not enough 1 or 2 votes from the 5000+ member Academy.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I am surprised that Girl with the dragon tattoo did not get a BP nomination, even though it got so many others. Still, 9 BP nominations is pretty good- so much better than the 5 nominees in the past.

Blergh
    vCash
    I'm mixed. I like more than 5 because it sort of shows the spectrum of the year in film, but I also liked the exclusitivity of having 5.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I do think Bridesmaids should have gotten a Best Picture nomination. a Best Drama award and rarely goes to anything else.
    I love ya, B, but just no. IMHO, Bridesmaids was like one long (over long) SNL skit, full of sophomoric potty/sex humor. That one-upmanship engagement party scene went on for at least 58 hours too long. And even my teenage son was like WTF? over the whole bridal salon scene. I'm still over Wiig getting a screenplay nomination. Again, JMHO.

vCash
    Got to agree w/pollyanna. People (not Brian, of course! ) are going to laugh at themselves, a couple years down the road, when they catch Bridesmaids on cable, and see how clumsy it really is.

Deft, smart comedies like "A Fish Called Wanda", "The Office", and "Best in Show" were IMEO definitely wuzrobbed in the past of a Best Picture nominations (I'd even add "Beetlejuice" to that list). "Bridesmaids", eh, it's being far over-praised due to its "girls can be gross too" gimmick. The screenplay nom is ... OMG.

vCash
    Michael Caine in Miss Congeniality was brilliant. I can watch him do his lines from that movie over and over again. half masticated cow..........and then there is that..........truly great comedic delivery.

MC and Maggie Smith in California Suite (Maggie Smith won for that) were good in that one.

There have been great comedies through the years that have been overlooked. Maybe Bridesmaids got nominated for that?

I haven't seen it, so I'm just rambling......

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    I love ya, B, but just no. IMHO, Bridesmaids was like one long (over long) SNL skit, full of sophomoric potty/sex humor. That one-upmanship engagement party scene went on for at least 58 hours too long. And even my teenage son was like WTF? over the whole bridal salon scene. I'm still over Wiig getting a screenplay nomination. Again, JMHO.
    THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one who didn't get the hype over this movie. I enjoyed it, but have no desire to repeat the viewings and don't get all the crazy love for it. I'm 100% behind the Melissa McCarthy love, as I've been a fan of hers since Gilmore Girls. But the movie itself is killed by the star/writer - Wiig. She was TOO pathetic and unlikeable. I couldn't root for her at all. And that scene at the engagement party drove me crazy too.

vCash
    A Pixar animated film is not nominated this year when one has been nominated every year that Pixar released a film. I'm sure they're determined to get back on track with their next film. Poor Cars2 ... although the executives can be happy that it did big b.o. business.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I do think Bridesmaids should have gotten a Best Picture nomination. Now that there are more than 5 possible nominations, I see no reason to not give one nomination to the best comedy of the year.
    Uhmmm because it's retarded and full of toilet humour?

vCash
    The 'net is ablaze with anti-Brad Pitt snark and the fact that he got an Oscar nod and Michael Fassbender didn't. Hollywood is so afraid of sex sometimes.

Blergh
    vCash
    They should blame critics as well as Brad Pitt has been heavily rewarded by critic circles. People are just bitter.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Fassbender knew the risks of working on an NC-17 film. Clearly we have a long way to go before NC-17 type of films can go mainstream. This is just another example.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    I was thrilled to see "Paradise Lost 3" in the Documentary list -- would love to see Berlinger and Sinofsky win.
    Same here. I know a lot of people on FSU are pulling for Pina, but the case of the West Memphis Three has been a major cause with Hollywood involvement, Johnny Depp and Peter Jackson being two of their major supporters.

The case itself, starting back in 1993 when the murders took place, is both riveting and fascinating, as well as infuriating WRT how the local LE handled (or mis-handled) the case and the DA railroaded Damian Echols, Jason Baldwin, and Jesse Misskelley. This final installment of the Paradise Lost movies is the final chapter of righting one of the absolute grossest miscarriages of justice in US history, and IMO it's deserving of every accolade possible.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

vCash
    I'm upset that 'We Were Here' was not nominated for Best Documentary. It achieved a perfect 100% critics' score on Rotten Tomatoes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/we_w...san_francisco/

I'm warming less and less to the Academy Awards this year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    They should blame critics as well as Brad Pitt has been heavily rewarded by critic circles. People are just bitter.
    Leave Britney Brad alone! Brad was excellent in Moneyball.

Meanwhile, George Clooney was - as he is in every movie* - George Clooney in The Descendants. I'd say that the Clooney mystique and that NC-17 rating was what wuzrobbed Fassbender.

*Best/only instance of disappearing into a character by Clooney was his submlime Up in the Air performance

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    *Best/only instance of disappearing into a character by Clooney was his submlime Up in the Air performance
    I agree. I never really liked Clooney because I thought he played himself but he was fabulous in Up in The Air. I was torn between him and Colin Firth as my favorite in the Oscars that year.

I thought he was also good in O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast