Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    Not according to the majority of critics. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 76% positive reviews. (ie 140 critics out of 188 liked it) That's pretty good.
    Everyone I know who has seen it did NOT like it. The general complaint was that there were too many action sequences, at the expense of things like plot and character development.....
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    It's great to see "The Artist" getting so many nominations. Oscars usually are a total joke so it's really refreshing to see a good, arty film rewarded.

For the most part it's box office trash, as usual.

Tilda Swinton not nominated is an outrage and calls for self-immolation.

If Meryl Streep will get an Oscar for that abortion of a film, I'll gag.

What normally is the only interesting category at the Oscars, Foreign Language Film, is really predictable this year.

"A Seperation" should easily win, based on its universal critical acclaim and the tons of awards it got already.

Although given it's muppets like Beyonce voting, who knows. I somehow doubt that she has an interest in New Iranian Cinema (she should because it's amazing).

Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    Really happy for Gary Oldman (agree with the "about time!").

I was thrilled to see "Paradise Lost 3" in the Documentary list -- would love to see Berlinger and Sinofsky win.
    "Pina" has to win. It's an incredible masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    And I can't believe brad Pitt was nominated for moneyball over fassbender.
    They needed him to attend.

Although as Vash01 said, he deserved it for "Tree of Life" anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Another snub - and I understand she campaigned long and hard for it - is Angelina Jolie's In the Land of Blood and Honey. As director/writer/producer she was hoping for a nomination for Best Foreign Language Film.
    Oh, what a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    What happened to Madonna's song she won a Globe for this year?
    What Jenny said. It's going to be on her upcoming album MDNA so it wasn't eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    I feel as if the Academy is trying to bring in younger viewers (the Rooney Mara nomination as well)
    I totally agree with you on somebody being nominated for "Bridemaids" being but hasn't Rooney Mara's performance received a lot of critical acclaim?

Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    it'll be interesting the see if the nominated films will change distribution roll-out strategies, as some of the films that ended up being shortlisted were already retracting a large number of screens this past week before the nominations were announced.
    Hopefully "The Artist" will get a proper, general release now.

Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    Not according to the majority of critics. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 76% positive reviews. (ie 140 critics out of 188 liked it) That's pretty good.
    I have no opinion of the film either but Rotten Tomatoes gathers all available reviews, the vast majority of which are worth as much as marks handed out at Canadian and Russian Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Marion Cotillard (La Vie en Rose)
    Christoph Waltz (Inglorious Basterds)
    Penélope Cruz (Volver...or Vicky Cristina Barcelona)
    Catalina Sandino Moreno (Maria Full of Grace)
    Fernanda Montenegro (Central Station)
    Roberto Benigni (Life Is Beautiful)
    Catherine Deneuve (Indochine)
    Graham Greene (Dances With Wolves)
    Isabelle Adjani (Camille Claudel...or The Story of Adele H.)
    Sophia Loren (Two Women...or Marriage Italian-Style)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't think you understood my post. I am not against foreign actors; I am referring to movies that are in other languages.

So I will stick with my opinion that no matter how good these nominated performances in foreign language (not foreign born actors) are, they should not be included in other categories. Yes, it will be disappointing to not see Marion C. or Roberto Benigni or Bardem in the best actor category, unless they are in an English language film, but it will be more fair overall.
    Just to clarify, Camille Claudel, Volver, Indochine, Central Station and Maria Full of Grace are in French, Spanish, French, Portuguese and Spanish (with a little English), respectively.

I think the academy should definitely consider foreign language performances and scripts in their nominations. I don't understand how excluding them makes things more "fair". Sometimes, a foreign film gets noticed by chance more than anything and if an actor has a chance to have a bigger career out of luck, I say more power to him/her.

I bet there are great performances in American and British films that never get noticed and never get nominations. That's not fair either, but it's the way it is.

I don't think we should be against having a handful of actors in foreign films who, sometimes by chance, make an impact in the Oscar race. It's much better for foreign films in general when someone gets recognized in any of the other categories. And I, for one, tend to love foreign films.

vCash
    I believe under an older system the Academy used, the film would be nominated for foreign film one year, then the actors, directors, writers, etc. would be eligible the next year.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    I believe under an older system the Academy used, the film would be nominated for foreign film one year, then the actors, directors, writers, etc. would be eligible the next year.
    Good memory, that sounds right. Ingrid Bergman "complains" about it in her (gracious) acceptance speech for Murder on the Orient Express:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky5sW4no_cg

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    So thrilled for Gary Oldman and Bret McKenzie!! Way long overdue for Oldman and as a LOTR fan who got to know Bret through his participation there and then w/Flight of the Conchords...So wonderful that such a talented guy is getting an Oscar Nom.

Also happy for Melissa McCarthy. While I won't be watching Bridesmaids as it's not my kind of comedy, I do really love her in whatever I've seen her in. To repeat myself in a way...So wonderful that such a talented lady is getting an Oscar Nom.

I'd love to see Glenn *finally* get an Oscar, but I also think it's Meryl's. Could care less about Best Actor as I'm so tired of George Clooney playing himself and getting rave reviews for his "acting" and the same goes for Brad Pitt. That's just me, but if you want to throw some rotten fruit or veg my way...

No Madonna nomination for Best Song? Excuse me while I head over the corner in order to laugh myself silly over that one.

And for those lamenting the no Nomination for Michael Fassbender. I'm a Viggo Mortensen fan. I say this w/sadness, but welcome to our club.

I'll be pulling for The Artist on Oscar Night, as it's beyond fantastic to see this little movie that I'm guessing no one thought would do anything, get all of the buzz and recogiztion it's getting. Plus, I want to see that adorable Jack Russell up on the stage w/them again.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    You are making the same mistake as PeterG. I am not against foreign actors; just foreign language films- and I am not against them; they deserve their own category, but other noms need to be for English language films (or mainly English; occasionally you do hear the actors speaking German/Russian, etc. but only in a few scenes). Actually, in general, the foreign language movies are much better than many Hollywood blockbusters.
    You sound like you love the sinner, but not the sin.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    You keep insisting that the other film noms should be for English language films, but why? What's the rationale? I really don't see one; a good film is a good film and deserving of a nom no matter what language it's in.

Again, you are missing my point. I am not talking about the film; I am talking about awards other than the foreign film award- like best actor, best screenplay, as examples. I already explained the rationale in my original post- there are just too many foreign language films to pick up the best actor/actress/screenplay/anything else from. Only a few get the visibility to be nominated for those awards, so it is unfair to all the others that had great performances but they did not get the visibility just because the film was not among the top. That is the rationale- pick from a smaller pool (English language only) when they give a few token awards to non-English speaking movie actors/writers, etc. They are essentially ignoring other great performances by doing that. How do you know a great performance in a foreign language film only occurs once in 3-4 years? How do you know that only one film in 10 years has a good enough screenplay to compete with an English language screenplay? It's a matter of being fair to the whole world that makes movies in other languages.

I have no problem with foreign language films; I actually like them better than the cheap stuff Hollywood puts out. They do get their awards- for best foreign film, and I have no problem with it. I try to see all those that got the nominations, because I know there is a good chance of them being good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    And for those lamenting the no Nomination for Michael Fassbender. I'm a Viggo Mortensen fan. I say this w/sadness, but welcome to our club.
    Only Fassbender is actually a good actor, whilst Mortensen is appalling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    Just to clarify, Camille Claudel, Volver, Indochine, Central Station and Maria Full of Grace are in French, Spanish, French, Portuguese and Spanish (with a little English), respectively.

I think the academy should definitely consider foreign language performances and scripts in their nominations. I don't understand how excluding them makes things more "fair". Sometimes, a foreign film gets noticed by chance more than anything and if an actor has a chance to have a bigger career out of luck, I say more power to him/her. I bet there are great performances in American and British films that never get noticed and never get nominations. That's not fair either, but it's the way it is.

I don't think we should be against having a handful of actors in foreign films who, sometimes by chance, make an impact in the Oscar race. It's much better for foreign films in general when someone gets recognized in any of the other categories. And I, for one, tend to love foreign films.
    It can't be fair unless they are considering all the films made worldwide, and all the performances in them, and that pool is just too big to make that determination, with just 5 spots available. Are you willing to give all the best actor nominations (for example) to 4 foreign language movies and just one in English? That won't happen, ever.

I never said anything against foreign films; I have already said I like them better than most Hollywood films, so you don't need to tell me how good they are.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mila19 View Post
    Wah, no Michael Fassbender in the list . Out of the nominees I've seen just Brad Pitt's Moneyball and I really can't see all the fuss about it and I <3 Brad Pitt usually.
    I agree totally. I was put to sleep with this movie. Brad is a fine actor, and I do appreciate him. But that character was so bland I couldn't get one emotion going in his favor. Boring.

However-GO GARY!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Could a rationale be that the voting body doesn't really know the language so they don't really know the performance? They know the translation of the words but not like they know English straight off?

The first logical post I have read on this topic. I have been accused of not liking foreign films, just because a few posters did not understand what I was driving at. It's true that the voting body would have a tough time picking just 5 best performances from what is released world wide (it's different in an international film festival because it's a smaller pool). I think a closer rationale may be that they just don't have the time to watch that many films. I think (not sure) for best foreign picture, the countries submit their entries and then the academy decides on the 5 nominations. Naturally if other awards are given (e.g. screenplay) it is likely to be from only the very small pool, while many others are ignored.

vCash
    I don't think 'Iron lady' is a horrible film, but I don't think this is Streep's best performance in recent years. I will be extremely surprised if she wins the Oscar this year; there are too many really strong lead actress roles & performances this year. Most other years this may have been good enough for her to win. I would have liked to see Swinton on the nominated list, but who can be dropped? I have not seen her movie, so I can't say.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Vash, it sounds like your stance on foreign films in Best Film category is similar to why you would like a separate category for Best Child Actor.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    I would have liked to see Swinton on the nominated list, but who can be dropped? I have not seen her movie, so I can't say.
    Glenn Close

It feels like michelle's Oscar to lose, but I'm really hoping for a roony upset. She was freakin brilliant in TGWTDT

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am still expecting Davis to win then Streep/Williams in a virtual tie for 2nd followed by Close and then Mara.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

What Jenny said. It's going to be on her [Madonna] upcoming album MDNA so it wasn't eligible.
    But "Sooner Or Later" from Dick Tracy appeared in a Madonna album separated from the film, and it won the Oscar for best song that year. Unless the rules changed after that. I think it's a silly rule though.

vCash
    I guess the rule exists to prevent having songs picked from albums which already exist?

If that's the case, why can't they amend it to say that it's fine as long as the album is released after the film and the soundtrack are?

I mean from the organisers' perspective having Madonna perform at the Oscars ceremony would be incredible. And it would make great promotion for her upcoming album too. Everybody wins.

vCash
    Again, you are missing my point. I am not talking about the film; I am talking about awards other than the foreign film award- like best actor, best screenplay, as examples. I already explained the rationale in my original post- there are just too many foreign language films to pick up the best actor/actress/screenplay/anything else from. Only a few get the visibility to be nominated for those awards, so it is unfair to all the others that had great performances but they did not get the visibility just because the film was not among the top. That is the rationale- pick from a smaller pool (English language only) when they give a few token awards to non-English speaking movie actors/writers, etc. They are essentially ignoring other great performances by doing that. How do you know a great performance in a foreign language film only occurs once in 3-4 years? How do you know that only one film in 10 years has a good enough screenplay to compete with an English language screenplay? It's a matter of being fair to the whole world that makes movies in other languages.

I have no problem with foreign language films; I actually like them better than the cheap stuff Hollywood puts out. They do get their awards- for best foreign film, and I have no problem with it. I try to see all those that got the nominations, because I know there is a good chance of them being good.
    I'm sorry; I was not clear in my original post. I was talking about denying a foreign film a nod in other categories just because it's a foreign film. I see no rationale for this whatsoever. If the film has great editing, for example, why should it be shut out of the noms just because it's a foreign film. Where in the AMPAS criteria for nominations does it say all nominated films must be in English except for the foreign film. As for being fair, there are plenty of excellent films in English that get overlooked also; not all the deserving films in English get the recognition they should. No matter what films get nominated something will get overlooked, but that's life and not justification for shutting out non-English films.

vCash
    It can't be fair unless they are considering all the films made worldwide, and all the performances in them, and that pool is just too big to make that determination, with just 5 spots available. Are you willing to give all the best actor nominations (for example) to 4 foreign language movies and just one in English? That won't happen, ever.
    Yes, I would be willing to do that, even if it won't ever happen.

The pool of great performances in English is already huge. Only 5 are chosen. So the process is, by your own estimation, unfair to English language films because many of them are never released widely, are considered art house films and are not backed by big studios.

This whole discussion started because Demian Bichir was nominated and Michael Fassbender wasn't. You thought Bichir's movie was in a foreign language and that he shouldn't have been nominated because of that and now Fassbender was robbed. Since Bichir's movie is actually in English, does that make the Fassbender snub more "fair"? I don't understand why.

Do I think that some foreign films are better than English language films and haven't been recognized by the Oscars? Yes. Do I think there are probably better foreign language films than those foreign films recognized by the Oscars? Yes. But I don't think it's bad when any good (maybe not the best) foreign language film gets recognition in categories other than Best Foreign Language Film. I think it's fantastic.

I never said anything against foreign films; I have already said I like them better than most Hollywood films, so you don't need to tell me how good they are.
    I believe you misread my post, Vash. I'm not patronizingly telling you how good they are. I'm merely saying that I like them and anything that puts them on the map is good in my eyes.

The first logical post I have read on this topic.
    Was this necessary?

I have been accused of not liking foreign films, just because a few posters did not understand what I was driving at.
    I think I missed when someone accused you of this (unless it happened in another thread I haven't read). Some of us are just disagreeing with you.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast