vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flutzilla1 View Post
    Fassbender so wuzrobbed.

... so was little Fassbender.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    Gary Oldman!!!!!!!!!

Way overdue, IMO. He's one of my favorites.
    Totally agree, and he was brilliant. I just wish the film had got a Best Picture nomination.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mila19 View Post
    Wah, no Michael Fassbender in the list . Out of the nominees I've seen just Brad Pitt's Moneyball and I really can't see all the fuss about it and I <3 Brad Pitt usually.
    He really was brilliant. I can't believe he didn't get nominated.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Jonah hill??? Really????

And I can't believe brad Pitt was nominated for moneyball over fassbender. I would've been fine had it been for tree of life because he was very good there, but moneyball?? It was an ok performance for a roll that didn't require much acting skill. Don't get it.

Also don't get Jessica chastain for the help. She was over the top and annoying.

And it's not too often that the leading ladies catagory looks better than the leading men's

vCash
    I don't get Jonah Hill over Albert Brooks at all. I haven't seen Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close yet because I love the book and I don't want the image of those characters to be Sandra Bullock and Tom Hanks in my head So, I don't know about Van Sydow being nominated.

Chastain was fine in The Help, but she was actually great in both Tree of Life and Take Shelter and I wish her nomination had come from one of those films.

Best Actress is the strongest of the 4 acting categories for me by far.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    I feel bad that Leonardo di Caprio did not get an Oscar nod for J. Edgar, but am very glad Gary Oldman finally received one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    Not necessarily. Glenn Close has been nominated 5 times and has never won, so maybe it's her turn?

I love this quote by her:

I've often been mistaken for Meryl Streep, although never on Oscar night.

We'll see how it plays out this time.
    I hope so. I'm crazy about Glenn.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Only two Original Song nominees?!? Why?!?! Although I am thrilled to bits that Bret from Flight of the Conchords now might get an Oscar

I hope that if there are just two nominees, both of them will get full performances at the awards ceremony. That short-excerpt format last year was lame.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Also don't get Jessica chastain for the help. She was over the top and annoying.
    Worse, she might split the "The Help" vote in Supporting Actress with the more deserving Octavia Spencer.

REALLY pulling for Gary "Overdue" Oldman, but I have a nasty feeling it's Clooney's year and some voters will use Tinker Tailor being a remake as an excuse.

Best Picture, I'm sure neither is considered serious enough to win but I'm torn between Hugo and War Horse. I refuse to see "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" for the same reason I won't watch United 93.

Look on the bright side, overedge, two songs means fewer ill-advised musical numbers to sit through.

I thought I heard there was some dispute over Tintin qualifying as animated, which is bizarre as motion-capture has been considered animation before (though Avatar was a majority motion-capture and was considered live-action.) Goes with the Andy Serkis-related debate over whether there should be a new category for actors giving motion-capture performances or if they should be considering in the acting categories. (If they make a new one I vote it be called the "Andy Serkis Got Screwed Out of Oscars For Lord of the Rings" Memorial Academy Award.)

vCash
    Muppets for the win! If they get Jim Parsons in there to sing/lip sync his bit, this will officially be the best. Oscars. Ever.

vCash
    I'm so glad Berenice Bejo was nominated even though she totally was NOT a supporting actress. She gave a remarkable performance and deserved some sort of recognition.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    REALLY pulling for Gary "Overdue" Oldman, but I have a nasty feeling it's Clooney's year and some voters will use Tinker Tailor being a remake as an excuse.
    I'm more worried about the pompously smug, pretentiously self-serving acceptance speech he'll make if he wins.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Only two Original Song nominees?!? Why?!?! Although I am thrilled to bits that Bret from Flight of the Conchords now might get an Oscar
    Also only 9 for Best Picture (10 last year) and 4 for Art Direction (it's always been 5 as long as I can remember).

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I'm more worried about the pompously smug, pretentiously self-serving acceptance speech he'll make if he wins.
    My fear is it will be more jokey and insiderish. He is so well connected, and known for his goofy sense of humour and love of practical jokes, so I'd expect something less than suitable for the occasion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Worse, she might split the "The Help" vote in Supporting Actress with the more deserving Octavia Spencer.
    I don't know that Octavia Spencer would be my pick for best supporting actress (I'd go for Berenice Bejo from this group), but she still won at the Golden Globes with Chastain in the mix, so I'm thinking that it won't significantly split the votes. However, I think back to win everyone was sure the race was between Cate Blanchette in I'm Not There and Amy Ryan in Gone Baby Gone and Tilda Swinton ended up winning for Michael Clayton.

I actually thought Shailene Woodley was deserving of a nomination in this category.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    My fear is it will be more jokey and insiderish. He is so well connected, and known for his goofy sense of humour and love of practical jokes, so I'd expect something less than suitable for the occasion.
    That is what I mean by smug, I guess.

vCash
    Demián Bichir in "A Better Life"

Has anyone seen this movie and this performance? I think this must be from a foreign language film.

I prefer that the foreign language films be left alone (to compete for their category- best foreign language film) and not included in other nominations like best actor, screenplay, etc. are announced. We see an occasional nomination from a foreign film in those categories. Who is to know there were not other equally great (or greater) performances from other foreign language films?

This year quite possibly Michael Fassbender was robbed because of that, in the best actor category, and quite possibly someone missed out on the best screenplay because 'The separation'- a foreign language film was included.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I actually thought Shailene Woodley was deserving of a nomination in this category.
    ABC Family probably paid someone off. If the girl got an Oscar nom, she'd probably be off their crappy teen drama so fast it'd make your head spin.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Jonah hill??? Really????

And I can't believe brad Pitt was nominated for moneyball over fassbender. I would've been fine had it been for tree of life because he was very good there, but moneyball?? It was an ok performance for a roll that didn't require much acting skill. Don't get it.

And it's not too often that the leading ladies catagory looks better than the leading men's

IMO Brad deserved a nomination for 'Tree of life' (I hated the movie), rather than for Moneyball (I liked the movie). It seems the academy went for the bigger box office success.

Jessica Chastain was great in playing two very different roles in Tree of life and Help, and I think that nabbed the nom for her.

This was the strongest year for leading ladies I have ever seen. So many outstanding performances! Someone had to be denied, and it happened to be Tilda Swinton. I have read raves about her acting in 'we have to talk about Kevin'

I am thrilled for Rooney Mara for her Oscar nom at such a young age. She was excellent.

I saw 'extremely loud...' on the spur of the moment last Fri. as I was driving home, and thought it was pretty good (I cried in it, which does not happen very often). I am happy that it got the best picture nomination, along with a best supporting actor nom. It's getting some undeserved criticism.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Demián Bichir in "A Better Life"

Has anyone seen this movie and this performance? I think this must be from a foreign language film.
    It's in English. However, last year's nominee Javier Bardem's Biutiful was in Spanish.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast