Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    I'm glad to see A Separation was nominated for foreign film. I'm surprised it's also nominated for best original sceenplay as well. Is that what you were talking about, Vash, about not having foreign films in the other categories? I didn't realize that happened.
    Yes, that's what I meant.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I prefer that the foreign language films be left alone (to compete for their category- best foreign language film) and not included in other nominations like best actor, screenplay, etc. are announced.

NOOOOO!!!! If that happened, these performances would not have received the acclaim they deserved (and this is just the acting categories):

Marion Cotillard (La Vie en Rose)
    Christoph Waltz (Inglorious Basterds)
    Penélope Cruz (Volver...or Vicky Cristina Barcelona)
    Catalina Sandino Moreno (Maria Full of Grace)
    Fernanda Montenegro (Central Station)
    Roberto Benigni (Life Is Beautiful)
    Catherine Deneuve (Indochine)
    Graham Greene (Dances With Wolves)
    Isabelle Adjani (Camille Claudel...or The Story of Adele H.)
    Sophia Loren (Two Women...or Marriage Italian-Style)

Who is to know there were not other equally great (or greater) performances from other foreign language films?
    That's up to the academy voters to be aware of what's released each year and to nominate the best, regardless of language/country of origin. (And it's up to studios to make people aware of their movies.)
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

Um...Dances With Wolves was not a foreign-language film. Or even a foreign film. In fact it won the regular old Best Picture Oscar. Just because a few performances were only in Lakota doesn't make the entire movie eligible. That's like saying the fact there's no dialogue for long stretches makes "Jeremiah Johnson" a silent movie.

I think DiCaprio got passed over because, in general, J. Edgar just wasn't well-recevied. (Now, that doesn't explain how a movie everyone seems to despise, Extremely Loud.... got a best picture nod.)

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    What a great list, Peter. I'd also like to add Liv Ullmann's nominations for The Emigrants and Face to Face and Ingrid Bergman for Autumn Sonata. Oh, and Valentina Cortese for Day for Night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I want Glenn Close to win Best Actress, but I think the Streep borg will prevent it. Resistance is futile.
    I've read that Streep isn't even that good in The Iron Lady.

Also Janet McTeer!!!!! although Octavia Spencer deservedly has that category tied up in a little bow. I'm just happy McTeer was nominated, her performance was brilliant.

Echoing the yays for McCarthy, Wiig and Oldman. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was nominated for adapted screenplay as well.

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Only two Original Song nominees?!? Why?!?! Although I am thrilled to bits that Bret from Flight of the Conchords now might get an Oscar
    HUGE snub for Madonna.

I'm bummed the song from Albert Nobbs wasn't nominated (was it only over the end titles?), but that could mean they didn't feel the need to give Close a conciliatory Oscar 'cause she's gonna win Best Actress

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Good for Melissa - she was very funny in that movie!

I want Glenn Close to win Best Actress, but I think the Streep borg will prevent it. Resistance is futile.
    Maybe she sent nanoprobes to the eligible Streep-Borg voters and reprogrammed them (like older Janeway infected the Borg queen in the finale of Star Trek: Voyager).

I would love to see Glenn Close win, and I have a feeling that Ms. Streep might be one of the first to congratulate her. They have acted together before in film in "The House of the Spirits", and their careers are remarkably similar (though GC has done more TV and stage than MS).

They even seem to me to have a certain down-to-earthness about themselves (could be acting, of course, but I like to think not).
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

NOOOOO!!!! If that happened, these performances would not have received the acclaim they deserved (and this is just the acting categories):

Marion Cotillard (La Vie en Rose)
    Christoph Waltz (Inglorious Basterds)
    Penélope Cruz (Volver...or Vicky Cristina Barcelona)
    Catalina Sandino Moreno (Maria Full of Grace)
    Fernanda Montenegro (Central Station)
    Roberto Benigni (Life Is Beautiful)
    Catherine Deneuve (Indochine)
    Isabelle Adjani (Camille Claudel...or The Story of Adele H.)
    Sophia Loren (Two Women...or Marriage Italian-Style)

That's up to the academy voters to be aware of what's released each year and to nominate the best, regardless of language/country of origin. (And it's up to studios to make people aware of their movies.)
    I don't think you understood my post. I am not against foreign actors; I am referring to movies that are in other languages. All these movies you mentioned, except La Vien Rose and Life is Beautiful are in English (I don't know about Camille Claudel). You even included Dances with wolves which is very much in English. I am saying that movies that are not in English should be under the foreign language film category, and those should not be included in the best actor/best screenplay, etc. because there is no way to be perfectly fair, as many deserving foreign language performances that are not as well known are most probably denied.

So I will stick with my opinion that no matter how good these nominated performances in foreign language (not foreign born actors) are, they should not be included in other categories. Yes, it will be disappointing to not see Marion C. or Roberto Benigni or Bardem in the best actor category, unless they are in an English language film, but it will be more fair overall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I think DiCaprio got passed over because, in general, J. Edgar just wasn't well-recevied. (Now, that doesn't explain how a movie everyone seems to despise, Extremely Loud.... got a best picture nod.)
    IMO Leo did not get the nomination because J. Edgar really was not a good movie. It should not affect the nom, but when the field is so competitive, it happens.

I saw Extremely loud and was deeply touched by it, so I don't understand "everyone seems to despise..." statement. I have read some very negative criticisms of it- some don't like it because it relates to 9/11, or because there is a child as the main character, or whatever. Except for the first 20 minutes or so, when I did not figure out where the movie was going, it is a good movie. Still I was pleasantly surprised that it got the BP nomination.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Ah, I'm torn. I'm about comedy getting some Oscar nom love.

But, c'mon, if you swapped out the genders of all the cast in Bridesmaids, you'd have had the EXACT SAME sophomoric rowdy, bawdy, horny-males-going-wild-but-eventually-learning-lessons movie that we've all seen dozens of times. Hey, it's "The Hangover II" as it should have been done! Melissa would have received the same begrudging kudos (but only a GG nom) as the Vince Vaughns of the world, and the screenplay's nomination would have come in the MTV Movie Awards versus the Academy Awards.
    This.

For years it's been hard (well nearly impossible) for any comedy film or actor to be recognized at the Oscars and I do like Melissa McCarthy in general but I'm not really feeling the love as far as her being nominated for Bridesmaids.

I feel as if the Academy is trying to bring in younger viewers (the Rooney Mara nomination as well) and some misguided support of "girl power!" Bridesmaids reminds me of the Judd Apatow films and while they may indeed be funny they don't exactly have the makings of a classic film that should be recognized as one of the best.

I am happy and surprised to see Gary Oldman nominated and surprised that Angelina didn't get a nod for her film.

vCash
    I am thrilled for Gary Oldman. He deserves and Oscar and has deserved one for many years. My friend and I were just talking about how he deserved one, on Saturday. I'm disappointed Melancholia didn't receive a nomination, and also apparently Shame should have been nominated(I haven't seen it yet, but intend to).

vCash
    it'll be interesting the see if the nominated films will change distribution roll-out strategies, as some of the films that ended up being shortlisted were already retracting a large number of screens this past week before the nominations were announced.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    ^Actually, I can't believe that they kept Michael Fassbender off the Best Actor list for 'Shame'. That was one of the most riveting performances I've ever seen
    While I thought Fassbender and Mulligan were both good, I really felt that movie was a pretentious piece of crap without one iota of understanding about sexual addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post
    Gary Oldman!!!!!!!!!
    Way overdue, IMO.
    ITA, this is a much better pick than DiCaprio in "J Edgar," and I think even shakes up the race a bit.

What is a Streep borg? Obviously it hasn't been too successful in helping her win in her last 14 attempts. I still say the race is between Davis and Streep. The SAGS will be telling.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I heard that both Nick Nolte and Max von Sydow were great, but their films haven't been on my must-see list
    The Warrior is a fantastic film, one of the little gems overlooked by general audience IMO, a much better boxing film than The fighter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I think DiCaprio got passed over because, in general, J. Edgar just wasn't well-recevied.
    That didn't stop Meryl Streep from being nominated for a role in a film getting less than average reviews everywhere

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Because it sucked?
    Not according to the majority of critics. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 76% positive reviews. (ie 140 critics out of 188 liked it) That's pretty good.

If YOU didn't like it, it doesn't mean it sucked.

I didn't see it, I have no opinion on its merits.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RomyNL View Post
    That didn't stop Meryl Streep from being nominated for a role in a film getting less than average reviews everywhere
    You can't really compare Leo with Meryl Streep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    What a great list, Peter. I'd also like to add Liv Ullmann's nominations for The Emigrants and Face to Face and Ingrid Bergman for Autumn Sonata. Oh, and Valentina Cortese for Day for Night.
    You are making the same mistake as PeterG. I am not against foreign actors; just foreign language films- and I am not against them; they deserve their own category, but other noms need to be for English language films (or mainly English; occasionally you do hear the actors speaking German/Russian, etc. but only in a few scenes). Actually, in general, the foreign language movies are much better than many Hollywood blockbusters.

vCash
    You are making the same mistake as PeterG. I am not against foreign actors; just foreign language films- and I am not against them; they deserve their own category, but other noms need to be for English language films (or mainly English; occasionally you do hear the actors speaking German/Russian, etc. but only in a few scenes). Actually, in general, the foreign language movies are much better than many Hollywood blockbusters.

You keep insisting that the other film noms should be for English language films, but why? What's the rationale? I really don't see one; a good film is a good film and deserving of a nom no matter what language it's in.

vCash
    Could a rationale be that the voting body doesn't really know the language so they don't really know the performance? They know the translation of the words but not like they know English straight off?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Could a rationale be that the voting body doesn't really know the language so they don't really know the performance? They know the translation of the words but not like they know English straight off?
    A good actor is a good actor. They (the voting body) should be able to tell the difference, but then I think they vote with their chequebook. Just saying......... I on the other hand, perhaps can't tell the difference and it doesn't matter to my chequebook.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast