Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    No Fassbender and no Di Caprio in best male?

Shame

Also, I was hoping to see Shame (non-PC?), Carnage (because of Polanski?) and We need to talk about Kevin in Best Picture category...

I don't understand all this love for The Help, boring and full of clichees IMO

I usually like Woody Allen's movies, but Midnight in Paris was like a travelogue for rich Americans preparing a long-awaited post-retirement trip to Paris

vCash
    Echoing the cheers for Melissa McCarthy! Her turn hosting SNL was a hoot too! She is sooo fabulously talented.
    ...and Kristin Wiig for Original Screenplay! I'm so glad these two and Bridesmaids are getting recognition.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Another snub - and I understand she campaigned long and hard for it - is Angelina Jolie's In the Land of Blood and Honey. As director/writer/producer she was hoping for a nomination for Best Foreign Language Film.

Maybe she should have done something in English, because historically, Oscar often awards actors who direct.

vCash
    The producers of A Better Life obviously had a good performance but that was not enough so they campaigned to the Academy about supporting illegal immigrants as residents of the US - no arizona type immigration laws and all that. It's a liberal group in its politics so it was totally right up their alley and the factor of good peformance and liberal politics - like the movie Milk about gay rights got Bichir the nomination.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumm_wind View Post
    Gary Oldman in "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" ... about damn time!

And thanks Jenny
    ^^^^^THIS!!!^^^^^

And though I'm thrilled for Oldman FINALLY receiving a nomination this---plus Fassbender's lack of nomination---just illustrates the point that they need to open up the categories for more nominations. They did it for Best Picture. Now do it for everyone else. I will bet that Fassbender's nomination numbers were oh so close to the other five; ridiculous to ignore his performance in "Shame."
    Last edited by Cachoo; 01-24-2012 at 05:23 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Echoing the cheers for Melissa McCarthy! Her turn hosting SNL was a hoot too! She is sooo fabulously talented.
    ...and Kristin Wiig for Original Screenplay! I'm so glad these two and Bridesmaids are getting recognition.
    Ah, I'm torn. I'm about comedy getting some Oscar nom love.

But, c'mon, if you swapped out the genders of all the cast in Bridesmaids, you'd have had the EXACT SAME sophomoric rowdy, bawdy, horny-males-going-wild-but-eventually-learning-lessons movie that we've all seen dozens of times. Hey, it's "The Hangover II" as it should have been done! Melissa would have received the same begrudging kudos (but only a GG nom) as the Vince Vaughns of the world, and the screenplay's nomination would have come in the MTV Movie Awards versus the Academy Awards.

vCash
    The excrement that was "Kung Fu Panda II" nominated over anything. Even more reason to wuzrob "... Tin Tin", even though I've not seen the latter yet.

So weird, re: just the two original song nominations.
    Elton's and/or David's impending comments on this situation.

ETA :
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    ... so was little Fassbender.
    Er, I saw "Shame" (loved it!), but I certainly didn't see a little Fassbender.
    Last edited by Beefcake; 01-24-2012 at 05:24 PM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post

So weird, re: just the two original song nominations.
    Elton's and/or David's impending comments on this situation.
    Didn't even notice that! One wonders if after the Golden Globes, the Academy decided to reduce the nominees to two to avoid Furnish's or Madonna having another opportunity to give a Best Picture acceptance speech for Best Song.

Mind you, now we'll likely be subjected to Jason Segal, Jesse Eisenberg, Anne Hathaway and Jamie Foxx singing during the broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    It's in English. However, last year's nominee Javier Bardem's Biutiful was in Spanish.

Bardem also got a nomination in the past for the movie with ocean or sea in its title; he played a quadriplegic in it. It was an awesome performance, but it was in Spanish. No matter how brilliant he is, I think there must have been other performances in other languages that were brilliant but were not nominated. Same about the Brazilian actress that was nominated for a best lead actress (why all this love for Brazil?). The pool becomes too big when they pick someone from a non-English movie. IMO it will be more fair when the boundaries are clearly defined, and not just occasionally broken.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    wow, that is a refreshing list of nominees!

I'm sorry for Leonardo DiCaprio, Michael Fassbender and Shailene Woodley (and to a lesser extent Tilda Swinton - but mostly because I want to see her amazing fashion sense on display on Oscars night)...but some very nice surprises!

Also just a strong year overall. I think George Clooney will win (and he was fantastic in The Descendants...and I love his acceptance speeches), but I would really really love for Jean Dujardin to pull off an upset. I also want The Artist to win Best Picture

So torn for Best Actress - Viola Davis was amazing, but I would love Glenn Close to get an Oscar. Would be especially nice for her to win for a project that she's carried from stage show to screen over decades. I notice she didn't get a song nom tho (and THANK TPTB that neither Elton John nor Madonna were nominated!)

the only film I've seen from the Supporting Actor list is Beginners - I think Christopher Plummer has this one in the bag, but I'd like to see some of the other films. I heard that both Nick Nolte and Max von Sydow were great, but their films haven't been on my must-see list

Is it Oscar night yet?!?!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Isn't there some sort of restriction on the best song qualification? It can't be added on to the end while the credits role, or something like that? I think that's what hurt Brokeback Mountain. It was winning best song at most of the other award shows, but wasn't even nommed for the Oscar.

What happened to Madonna's song she won a Globe for this year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Bardem also got a nomination in the past for the movie with ocean or sea in its title; he played a quadriplegic in it.
    I read that wrong, and thought, "When was there a category for Best Movie with Ocean or Sea in Its Title??"

Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    Isn't there some sort of restriction on the best song qualification? It can't be added on to the end while the credits role, or something like that? I think that's what hurt Brokeback Mountain. It was winning best song at most of the other award shows, but wasn't even nommed for the Oscar.
    Thought I heard something about that too. Another rule is that the song cannot appear on another CD - which is why Springsteen's song for The Wrestler was not nominated. He chose to put it on his own CD rather than go for the nomination (and since he already has an Oscar, why not).

ETA - here's an extract for the official rules (my bold):

B. Original Song:
    An original song consists of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for
    the motion picture
    . There must be a clearly audible, intelligible, substantive rendition (not
    necessarily visually presented) of both lyric and melody, used in the body of the motion picture or as
    the first music cue in the end credits.

II. ELIGIBILITY
    A. The work must be created specifically for the eligible feature-length motion picture.
    B. The work must be the result of a creative interaction between the filmmaker(s) and the composer(s)
    and/or songwriter(s) who have been engaged to work directly on the motion picture.
    C. The work’s eligibility shall be evaluated on its effectiveness, craftsmanship, creative substance and
    relevance to the dramatic whole.
    D. The work must be recorded for use in the motion picture prior to any other usage, including public
    performance or exploitation through any media whatsoever.

E. Only the principal composer(s) or songwriter(s) responsible for the conception and execution of
    the work as a whole shall be eligible for an award.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Another snub - and I understand she campaigned long and hard for it - is Angelina Jolie's In the Land of Blood and Honey. As director/writer/producer she was hoping for a nomination for Best Foreign Language Film.
    I don't see it as a snub. Jolie made a small and difficult film that few people in
    America will see. The film also wasn't universally praised, so I don't think there was any big expectation that it would be nominated.

Maybe she should have done something in English, because historically, Oscar often awards actors who direct.
    She did film a version of LOBAH in English.

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley0884 View Post
    Yay Melissa McCarthy!!!! It's rerfreshing to see someone recognized for an outstanding comedic performance
    I'm shocked to see that! Awesome!
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Bardem also got a nomination in the past for the movie with ocean or sea in its title; he played a quadriplegic in it. It was an awesome performance, but it was in Spanish. No matter how brilliant he is, I think there must have been other performances in other languages that were brilliant but were not nominated. Same about the Brazilian actress that was nominated for a best lead actress (why all this love for Brazil?). The pool becomes too big when they pick someone from a non-English movie. IMO it will be more fair when the boundaries are clearly defined, and not just occasionally broken.
    He was not nominated for that though it did win foregin film.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mila19 View Post
    Wah, no Michael Fassbender in the list . Out of the nominees I've seen just Brad Pitt's Moneyball and I really can't see all the fuss about it and I <3 Brad Pitt usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Michael Fassbender being left off is horrible in my opinion. His was the best male performance I saw this year.....
    Quote Originally Posted by RomyNL View Post
    No Fassbender and no Di Caprio in best male?

Shame
    ... so was little Fassbender.

We've got a sizable group. Let's picket the MPAA

From the Bloc
    vCash
    The film also wasn't universally praised, so I don't think there was any big expectation that it would be nominated.
    Except by Angelina

vCash
    I'm glad to see A Separation was nominated for foreign film. I'm surprised it's also nominated for best original sceenplay as well. Is that what you were talking about, Vash, about not having foreign films in the other categories? I didn't realize that happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    How on earth did Tin-Tin not get a nomination for best animated film!?!?! .

Because it sucked?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast